Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Cruze Community,

I purchased the new Gen2 Cruze in July. I love the car except for one thing. How is there only 1 USB port and no SD Card slots in a new car?

I like to keep my music on an SD Card for ease of use and the fact that my iPhone is only 16GB. Currently it is plugged into the USB port using an adapter. It works great except for the fact that I am not able to use Apple Car Play because the USB slot is occupied. Using a USB hub allows the car to see and switch between both the iPhone and SD Card reader but for some reason Apple Car Play will not work when using a USB Hub. Any one else run into this issue? Any one have any solutions? Anyone know how to add additional USB ports and have Apple Car Play still work?

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Any one else run into this issue? Any one have any solutions?

Thanks,
I know of one compact car that has two USB ports and supports ACP.

Just yankiing your chain. I know it's not a solution for the Cruze.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi newcruze2016!
I'm not sure I've ever heard of a car with an SD slot, unless we're talking about modular stereo systems. With such a modern car, I'm not too optimistic about modifying the interior; adding additional ports would require an almost complete overhaul, I'd assume. Actually, I'm looking into installing a subwoofer in my Cruze, so I'll try to update when I get a look at my electronics.
Anyways, are you sure you can't store music on your iPhone? I know that the gigabytes do add up, I'm just wondering if your music has already been compressed and all that. I haven't tried using Android Auto with another device plugged into the USB port; I mainly use the USB port for my Auto device.
Also, what trim is your Cruze? I know that the LT and the Premier come with more electronics, and probably more ports.
Hope this helps.

·
10,712 Posts
Hey Cruze Community,

I purchased the new Gen2 Cruze in July. I love the car except for one thing. How is there only 1 USB port and no SD Card slots in a new car?

I like to keep my music on an SD Card for ease of use and the fact that my iPhone is only 16GB. Currently it is plugged into the USB port using an adapter. It works great except for the fact that I am not able to use Apple Car Play because the USB slot is occupied. Using a USB hub allows the car to see and switch between both the iPhone and SD Card reader but for some reason Apple Car Play will not work when using a USB Hub. Any one else run into this issue? Any one have any solutions? Anyone know how to add additional USB ports and have Apple Car Play still work?

Thanks,
What trim did you get? Some have a 2nd USB in the back seat for charging only. Only time I seen a SD was 1st gen with navigation.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Hey Cruze Community,

Thanks,
I have an adapter that takes care of this issue for me. the difference is I use android auto not apple car play.
the following link is not exact but similar to the adapter I have. I got it so i can hook up multiple phones and switch back and forth with out changing cords, as an Uber driver I have a lot of passengers that want to play their own music or charge their phone. It works great for me but I am only running one thing at a time not two like you want to do. other than this I am not sure if it is possible

High Speed 4 Port USB 3 0 Multi Hub Splitter Expansion Cable Laptop PC Adapter | eBay

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used a small 4-port USB hub, I have my 32GB USB drive in one port and the charging/data cable for my phone in another port. The radio lets me switch back and forth between the USB drive/radio/Android auto with no problems. It's a small round hub that looks kind of like one of this charging sticks for your phone. Tucks right into the area under the USB port and you can't even see it. Works quite well.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Yes there are cars with SD slots in them. The focus I saw at the car show last nigh had one and think one other but don't remember. However I bought this from gen2 cruze and it works great. I plug in a 64gb usb on one end and my phone to the other and they both work great. I can't imagine the apple wouldn't work as well as my android does with this adapter.

https://www.amazon.com/Cute-USB-2-P...488035582&sr=8-3&keywords=2+port+mini+usb+hub

·
Registered
253 Posts
I wish they would have put a usb also in the center console like gen 1. This would be perfect since the spot for your phone is right near the console and you wouldn't have to put a cable across the shifter and cup holders.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,113 Posts
Forgive me if my ignorance shows...

Can't you use Bluetooth for one function and the USB for the other? At least for now as I know it will degrade the sound somewhat.

You can add USB ports at least for charging easily, but am not sure about being recognized by the car for data. You can also add an aftermarket head unit that has a slot and USB port .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Cruze Community,

Thanks,
I was able to solve the single USB port problem by replacing the module. I ordered part 13509942 from my dealership and replaced the single port with the dual port. Works perfectly. I am now able to use Apple Car Play and play songs from a USB device at the same time. This worked on the Gen 2 Cruze with the 8" Chevy MyLink / Bose sound system. Below is the link where I got the idea from.

See USB port upgrade for 7" MyLink - Chevy Malibu Forum: Chevrolet Malibu Forums

·
Registered
1 Posts
Purchase a 13581213 from your local Chevrolet dealer, or online. This unit is from a 2017 Corvette, and has 2 USB ports, SD card slot, and the Aux input. It plugs right in to your harness and dash where the current single port fits, and BONUS, does not have the useless door that is in the way all the time. The Bose system found both USBs and SD without any other setup. Just push the media button until you find the source you like.

The USB charging rate is still poor, but you can leave your jump drive and phone connected at the same time.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Got the part today. Plugged in and works perfectly. The only thing I have not tested yet is an SD card.

I was able to pop the old unit out by removing the left side panel off the console *7mm socket* then very carefully squeezing my hand up the side to push the tabs on the old USB module.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
Just wanted to share my feedback on this upgrade.

The charging rate is substantially less with this setup vs the single stock setup.

For reference I only have my phone plugged into it. Nothing else. It barely holds whatever percentage my phone has while driving.

Before in the exact same situation it would actually charge my phone. It's just more of a maintenance charge now.

I do keep the screen on at all times running an application.

Depending on your demands this will probably charge your phone but it will likely be much slower.

I have not tested this yet. Plugging in a second device to charge. I wonder if it'll actually prevent my phone from maintaining it's charge or if the current is already limited to the two ports and it won't shift the full potential when using just one port or if it is using the full potential and that will cut in half with a second device.

FYI.

·
Registered
146 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a USB key with music playing and my cell on AA and the charging seems just fine considering that both USB outlet are powered by the same single wire that used to power the original one before. I just made a quick test and my phone battery went up by 12% in between 10 to 15 minutes while listening to music from the USB stick and having Google map running on the car infotainment screen .

That's good enough for me.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts