Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had to boost my cruze today as its cold AF (-35C) out here in Northern Alberta, Yes the car was plugged in all day! Yesterday the car had a slow start and was able to get running on its own. Just have a couple of questions, how long are the glow plugs supposed to cycle? Has anyone one looked into a battery warmer or know of any that are available as it will help with cold starting. And has anyone gotten a battery with a larger CCA rating?

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
I had to boost my cruze today as its cold AF (-35C) out here in Northern Alberta, Yes the car was plugged in all day! Yesterday the car had a slow start and was able to get running on its own. Just have a couple of questions, how long are the glow plugs supposed to cycle? Has anyone one looked into a battery warmer or know of any that are available as it will help with cold starting. And has anyone gotten a battery with a larger CCA rating?
Have you replaced your battery yet? In extreme cold I sometimes cycle the glow plugs two of three times assuming you have a strong battery.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The car only has 50K KM on it. and has been good so far, i am thinking of getting a larger one but have looked up what is available for the CTD cars.

How long does your glow plug light stay on for? mine has been going out right away. every diesle ive ever operated the light stays on till the plugs go out.

Im thinking i might have a glow plug issue since the glow plug light goes out right away unless there is a logic controler that stops the glow plugs from being used if the battery voltage drops under X volts.

But with these cold temps im dealing with, im thinking a battery warmer would do the trick to keep the battery warm and keep its voltage. As cold batteries lose their power and dont deliver as much cranking.

On a side note the car gets parked in a warm garage so if there is slow crank tomorrow ill be looking into getting a new battery ASAP.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
The car only has 50K KM on it. and has been good so far, i am thinking of getting a larger one but have looked up what is available for the CTD cars.

How long does your glow plug light stay on for? mine has been going out right away. every diesle ive ever operated the light stays on till the plugs go out.

Im thinking i might have a glow plug issue since the glow plug light goes out right away unless there is a logic controler that stops the glow plugs from being used if the battery voltage drops under X volts.

But with these cold temps im dealing with, im thinking a battery warmer would do the trick to keep the battery warm and keep its voltage. As cold batteries lose their power and dont deliver as much cranking.

On a side note the car gets parked in a warm garage so if there is slow crank tomorrow ill be looking into getting a new battery ASAP.
Mine stays on for maybe five seconds, if the engine is warm it doesn’t illuminate on the dash at all.

Reactions: 91794

·
Registered
314 Posts
The glow plugs on these cars are very fast. Around here it’s been in the single digits in the mornings the last couple days and the glow plug light only stays on for 2-3 seconds and I’ve had no issues starting. It’s a smaller engine and with modern glow plugs they don’t need to stay on for 15-20 seconds like the older full size diesel trucks did.

Like indydiesel said you can cycle them two or three times in extreme cold situations but I’ve never had to.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have read somewhere that the glow plugs stay on for 1 1/2 - 2 minutes after the engine starts, even though the light is not lit, to allow it to continue to run clean and smoothly.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I replaced my battery a few weeks ago with one that has an 860CCA rating. I'm in Ontario and when it was dropping to -5C and -10C the factory battery was struggling. I can almost guarentee it would not have survived these -20C and -30C temperatures. There was a new battery place that opened up near me that I ended up going to. I purchased a NorthStar battery as a replacement. It was fairly expensive but they were able to drop the price for me a bit. It's rated higher than the factory battery and better meets the requirements for the Diesel Cruze. It also comes with a 4 year guarantee replacement. They also have their house brand battery that costs around $150 I think. Give them a call if you have one in your area, or search for the model number if you're interested in NorthStar. Here is the battery I got: https://webstore.totalbattery.com/NorthStar-NSB-AGM-94R-L4-p/nsb-agm-94r-(l4-h7).htm

Cost wasn't too big of an issue for me, so I went with literally the best battery available. They told me the house brand battery at $150 will work great, it's just that the NorthStar has the warranty and the brand name behind it. If you're looking for a budget battery, their house brand will probably be the best option for you.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Just ordered a new battery :-( My car made it 98,000 Km and just about three years.

Besides a really slow crank while starting in cold weather, I experienced a couple of messages on the dic about servicing stabilitrak. The battery voltage while driving is constantly at 15.4 v. I just switched the dic to voltage after it had sat for ~15 mins not running. It said 11.8 v.

I'll be hooking up a battery tender along with the new battery. My driving has changed from mainly highway to mainly short trips in town. I think it will probably do well with a boost in the evening.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Just ordered a new battery :-( My car made it 98,000 Km and just about three years.

Besides a really slow crank while starting in cold weather, I experienced a couple of messages on the dic about servicing stabilitrak. The battery voltage while driving is constantly at 15.4 v. I just switched the dic to voltage after it had sat for ~15 mins not running. It said 11.8 v.

I'll be hooking up a battery tender along with the new battery. My driving has changed from mainly highway to mainly short trips in town. I think it will probably do well with a boost in the evening.
I'd be more concerned with the emissions system on the Diesel if your drives are mainly short in town trips. I had my EGR valve clog up and create a no-start issue during a period when I had short drive trips. The run I do now to and from work is 20 mins each way and it's been great for my car.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I'd be more concerned with the emissions system on the Diesel if your drives are mainly short in town trips. I had my EGR valve clog up and create a no-start issue during a period when I had short drive trips.
Unfortunately I also had the egr plug! I’ll have to create reasons to take highway trips!

·
Registered
269 Posts
You get more of the real cold stuff, but I left my car outside at the airport in Montreal for over a week 2 or 3 years ago. The week I did it, it fell below 0F a lot of nights. Just under -20F one night. It was a little below 0F when I went to start the car. I expected a problem when I got back, but all was good, granted the batter was cranking noticeably slower. So I didn't ever need a battery heater here. Maybe different there though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So im happy to say the problem is temperature related. I have a heated underground parking for the car when im not at work. Got in and the car started no issue. Parked the car and plugged it in and today the day wasnt as bad as yesterday but still Cold -28C or so. Considerably warmer but still shitty cold. The car had a slow crank but still got running, it still had a few misses after initial startup but no other issues after start up. I have been keeping an eye on the Volt gauge and it seems to be running a little high at 15-16V i guess its also for the DEF tank?

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you are seeing high voltage, then the car is doing a hard charge on the battery. That means it is getting run down or is on its way out.

What does the dic say when the car is cold and not running? It should be above 12v.

So im happy to say the problem is temperature related. I have a heated underground parking for the car when im not at work. Got in and the car started no issue. Parked the car and plugged it in and today the day wasnt as bad as yesterday but still Cold -28C or so. Considerably warmer but still shitty cold. The car had a slow crank but still got running, it still had a few misses after initial startup but no other issues after start up. I have been keeping an eye on the Volt gauge and it seems to be running a little high at 15-16V i guess its also for the DEF tank?

·
Registered
375 Posts
If it actually goes to 16v thats should be a DIC light as the Cruze should never see 16v. Thats what the dealer told me recently. I would get a new high capacity battery asap.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you are seeing high voltage, then the car is doing a hard charge on the battery. That means it is getting run down or is on its way out.

What does the dic say when the car is cold and not running? It should be above 12v.
Im getting 11.4V on a cold car. Its been warming up here lately, its been around -20C when im leaving work. The car has been starting normally over the last couple of days.

As for the high voltage its been getting better. The 16V was my error not paying attention. The car will still reach 15V Ive noticed it takes longer for that to happen.

This is what my drive home was like today.
Got in the car checked Voltage in the DIC 11.4V
Started the car and monitored Volts. 11.4V, let it idle down a bit and then gave it some throttle and it moved up passed 12V
went back in and let the car warm up came back and it was still under 12V
Started to drive and V came back up a little over 12V (12.3)
Got to the high way and Vs kept slowly climbing
On a 27km drive it Vs slowly got to 15V ~2-3km from my apartment.
This is driving highway speeds 100km/h.
Once i got off the highway Vs dropped below 15 to 14.7V alot closer to normal, i am thinking the battery will need to be replaced.

Not sure when ill be able to get around to it. Gonna try and find a Load tester at work and check it out, and hopefully it will give me an idea as to how the battery is doing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Also is there a high idle switch i can put in the car to help with faster warm ups? Or even modify the time for the auto car starter to run for longer periods of time than the 10mins from factory?

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
mine started fine -51f in grande cache, NOT plugged in.

hit the fob as you walk to the car, get in turn key, no glow plug lights, start car

1 - 20 of 48 Posts