Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Extremely loud rear shock absorbers.

19K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  fixmycruze 
#1 ·
For the last few weeks I have noticed an extremely noticeable sound coming form
the rear of the car, so loud it sounded as if there was something loose rolling around I'm the trunk. This was occurring at all speeds going over bumps. The noise is almost like that of an empty plastic bucket being tossed to the ground. So I was able to find out the source and recreate the extract annoying sound I've been
hearing for week. I reached into the wheel wells in the rear on both sides and manipulated this cylindrical cover with a bushing on top of it that's a part of the strut assembly in the rear. As it goes up and down it makes that sound as it tops out or bottoms out (when the bushing contacts the frame of the car or when the cover house down and contacts the bottom portion of the strut). Anyway, the dampening isn't effected and the car feels fine but is just loud. Is it normal
for these to move so freely and be so
loud? Anyone else experience this?

See less See more
#5 ·
The rear of my car is pretty loud over bumps. Not so much shock noise, or really much in the way of what I would call rattling, but there is suspension impact noise. 1LT with Z-link rear setup.
When I complained about my Rear end last month as you know I received an entire replacement trailing arm. What does the Z link do, and why are these rear suspensions so basic and poor in the CRUZE? I have given up on the noise even though its worse. Nothing left to replace? Sounds like the Wheel well, e brake cable area. Possibly a shock although not my first thought?

#4 ·
I'm looking at the pic and trying to understand what it is that's happening based on what you've written.

Your pic looks like the bump stop and rod cover are not positioned at the top of the shock rod, but have fallen down and are resting on the shock body instead... is that correct? Look at this photo, you can see that the bump stop and cover are supposed to be elevated above the shock body so that they do not move with the shock, and the shock rod is not visible:

Does this make sense? Am I understanding the issue correctly?

#30 ·
You can see the two shock mount bolts in jblackburn's original pic:
as much as I'd like to say its as easy as two bolts, it's not. Infact it might not even be two bolts but rather one... One that's harder to get to that is. That silver mounting brackets is merely what holds the strut in place. Those two bolts are what hold the that part in place itself. The silver strut rod moves freely up and down in that but is held stationary by a bolt that screws onto threads on top of that rod (number 9 in diagram). I'm guessing once that is loose I can compress the strut to release it. But removing those two bolts isn't going to set that assembly free though because of that one. This mean removing material
in trunk to access it.

#11 ·
Interesting thread,

The shock shaft shield (plastic cylinder) is supposed to be retained at the top of the shaft and in so doing, retains the bump stop as jblackburn's photo shows.
In your photo (OP) the whole shootin match is off the retainer and down on the shock body itself.

Try to firmly push the shield (and bumpstop) back up......it may re-engage the shaft retaining step with a snap type feel.
If it won't, and you are under 3/36 warranty, let the dealer either repair it or replace it......but, I really think you will be able to reset the cover as described unless the hole in the shield is damaged.......that would be new shock time.

BTW are both shocks showing this or not?

Rob

#13 ·
Interesting thread...
I'm wondering if this could somehow be related to the noises others are noticing with the rear going over bumps... wondering if the shield is "rattling" on the shock body or something like that. Depends if the OP's shield is falling down that way by itself or if they pulled it down fo rthe pic. Either way it's interesting that the described noise is duplicated by manipulating that shield.

#12 ·
Is it normal for these to move so freely and be so loud? Anyone else experience this?
Absolutely not. See the pics above, your bump stop and rod shield should not be falling down like that. If your car is still under warranty and this will be a warranty claim, I would argue to have the rear shocks replaced as well. The purpose of those guards is to keep debris from contacting the shock rod so it doesn't wear out the seals in the top of the shock. If you've been driving for some time with the guards down like that there's a chance debris has caused excessive wear to those seals, which is no fault of yours.

Actually, re-reading your post you say you "manipulated" the guard and bump stop. Did you have to pull them down, or are they falling down on their own? If they are staying in place in the upper position by themselves they are working properly. If this is the case and they are still making noise, well that would be a complaint to bring up with the dealer for sure.

#15 ·
This is exactly whats going on. I don't understand how to reposition the shield. I plan on doing a tire rotation and will do it then, but how? What is the shaft retaining step? Are you referring to a groove or something within the metal portion that bolts directly to the cars body? And yes both shocks are doing this. Wat would cause something like this to even happen?? So no adhesive is involed in this being retained, just snap type fitting?

#18 ·
Well i have the add on warranty which means 100 dollar deductable i believe. Just attempted to re-seat both of them and they just fall down. Its as if the bump stop in undersized. Could this possibly be caused by a drying out of those? Is there some type of lubricant that can be applied to cause them to swell back to size to they can fit back in tightly?

#19 ·
Well i have the add on warranty which means 100 dollar deductable i believe. Just attempted to re-seat both of them and they just fall down. Its as if the bump stop in undersized. Could this possibly be caused by a drying out of those? Is there some type of lubricant that can be applied to cause them to swell back to size to they can fit back in tightly?

#20 ·
I would see if your warranty will cover the repair, and as I said before try to push for new shock absorbers as well, though i don't know if they will go for that if there's no proof they've been damaged.

If you can't get the warranty to cover it, replacing those parts doesn't look too expensive:

Auto part Line art

They're #6 on that diagram, about $12/ea online, and not hard to replace if you have the tools/knowledge. You could try sticking them back into place with some epoxy or similar, but that may not be a robust long-term solution.

#22 ·
So those bump stops should not be on top of your shocks at ALL. The only reason they would be down like this is either because someone modified the shock (ie lowered) or somebody pulled them out. They are pressed in to place. You should not be able to press them back into their location without considerable strength.

Considering that it would take dang near 1-200lbs of force to drop them out of their mounted location, there is no way you can supply this to get them back up. You will have to disassemble the upper mount to get the bump stops into place. (It is only 2 bolts)

This is the noise you are experiencing. Luckily, an easy fix. Should take you only an hour or two in your driveway. 15 minutes with air tools. :D

#26 ·
#27 ·
I have attempted to put them back in only to have both side reach their limit (the top of the bump stop made full contact with the inside of where they insert to) So this has to be a case of some type of shrinkage occurring because they slip in too easily and slip out as if no pressing in the world would get them to stay in again. Where are the two bolts located in the upper mount?

#29 ·
#31 ·
With the car jacked up, the tire removed and the suspension at full droop, you will have to jack the suspension up slightly before removing the shock mount because the shock is what keeps the spring from pushing the suspension farther. With that done you should be able to remove the lower bolt from the suspension arm and the two bolts holding the top shock mount in place, this will get the shock out of the car.

The nut on the end of the shaft holding the shock to the mount may be difficult to remove without an impact wrench (it's most likely a crush nut), though there may be a hex on the shaft to put a socket on, I haven't had it apart so I don't know for sure. Whatever you do don't try to hold the shock shaft in a vise or with pliers, you'll damage it.

It shouldn't be a big job if you have the tools and some mechanical ability. If you get stuck you can always put it back together. If you do go through with it take some pics and let us know who it went.

#32 ·
I've been having the same basic noises from the rear of our car. They replaced the shocks, the noise is still there, they refuse to do any more repairs since GM only pays for one warranty repair on the same issue. They keep telling us that they have never heard of this complaint from anyone else. Obviously they should be reading Cruze Talk and other web sites. We're still working with the dealership/customer service, etc and are getting really tired of this.

#34 ·
Well to up date this situation, for the first time in a while the temperature here in northeast ohio was close to 60 degrees. We have been having temps with ranging from -8 to mid twenties for the last few weeks (temps mainly at about 12 to 25 though). Anyway this noise and conditions with these shocks didn't occur till these winter months. Now on this day where it was way warmer the noise completely gone So I checked out the shocks ad now the dust covers don't move around so easily. I drove on bumpy roads and there was no sound. They now just almost sit in place on the rod/shaft. I bet if I tried push on the them hard enough the bump stop would stay seated in the mount. So basically it can get so cold that in some situations these parts contract/shrink? I have since thoroughly cleaned the wheel well area and suspsension. No signs of leaks (I don't know if these are gas filled struts or not) or wear and tear. The bump stops had no dried out look or cracks or wear at all. Everything honestly looked like new. So you mean to tell me that these things are manufactured at such tolerances or maybe some ill manufactured to the point some owners may experience this if temperatures get low enough? I advise anyone in the type of climate I have described to take a look at their strut dust covers if they are experiencing rear end clunking sounds. Even if they look to be in place, keep track of the temperature outside when you hear the noise and also gently see if the slide up and down freely because remember this problem ceased on mine at a warmer temperature.

#39 ·
Mine have been there the entire time, it gets louder than normal in the cold. I can't comment on your roads as I can here in Cuyahoga and Geauga counties. I had my ECO and 2 loaner Cruze(2013 LS and 2014 2LT) made the same sound as I drive down the same strip of road that has different imperfections, dips and bumps. I was kinda disappointed with the sound till I had 2 more Cruze do it to make it "normal" occurrence. Anyone running lowering springs have the same or more pronounced sound(s) all these threads describe?

#35 ·
Funny you mention that... it seems my shck shields are firmly in place, yet the sound I've been hearing is gone with the warmer temps over the past few days. I've even been driving around with my back seats folded down listening for it and I can't hear anything, just the regular clunks going over sharp bumps and those are just the way the car is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.