Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I am planning to add reverse camera to MyLink system (without sat/nav). I have found this item on the internet. 95407980 Rear Decklid Trunk Trim Molding Chrome w/ Camera 2011-15 Chevy Cruze | eBay

This is the original trunk lid with camera. I have checked the software list of MyLink head unit and found that and item is listed as "camera software calibration 95xxxxxx". This (kind of) tells me that the related camera software is already installed, in other way, the head unit is camera ready. I asked this Ebay seller to add a picture of the connector so I can compare it with the that my car has. Seller added the picture straight away which is good. I will check it tonight. (sydney time :) )

My questions:

1) would this item would work plug and play (assuming the connectors are same)?
2) if not would I need to do to get it working?
3) if above is not possible then is there any way to get an aftermarket camera to work with original head unit?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
509 Posts
I sent you a PM, but I don't think you've seen it yet.

Unfortunately, that will not work. If you didn't have a rear view camera to start with, a different wiring harness was run to the back of your vehicle.

You could possibly re-do the wiring yourself, but that might be a major undertaking. I know that there is a connector found behind the right hand kick panel in US vehicles with the rear view camera installed, but it may not be in the same spot as yours: being a non-us build, if it is even there.

I'm not certain about #3.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I sent you a PM, but I don't think you've seen it yet.

Unfortunately, that will not work. If you didn't have a rear view camera to start with, a different wiring harness was run to the back of your vehicle.

You could possibly re-do the wiring yourself, but that might be a major undertaking. I know that there is a connector found behind the right hand kick panel in US vehicles with the rear view camera installed, but it may not be in the same spot as yours: being a non-us build, if it is even there.

I'm not certain about #3.
I will check the kick panel(s) to see any connector is there for camera. If it won't work then why they install the camera software into the unit... Seems like bulk production.

·
Registered
509 Posts
If it won't work then why they install the camera software into the unit... Seems like bulk production.
Good question and good thought. I'd check that unit I got from a cruze without the camera option to see if the software was also mentioned there, but.... I gave it to a former co-worker who's specialty is chip reading/cracking. It's in itty bitty pieces now.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
If it won't work then why they install the camera software into the unit... Seems like bulk production.
From other conversations, it appears there are two flash ram devices in the radio. One holds the software. The other holds the VIN and configuration info. That's what gets flashed on the production line.

Apparently, at some point, GM decided to go with a standard unit and configure it depending on the options rather than stocking separate units with only the parts needed for that particular function.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Okay, did a little research using the vin from the first mylink radio I tested. And I found some part numbers regarding the rear view camera option.

Harness

Camera

Heads Up Display & Camera

Wiring harness part number

Unfortunately, it does not show the entire harness, just the section that plugs into the trunk latch.

However, the part number for the HUD & Camera comes back also to the 2011 Equinox. I'm not certain as to the equivalent vehicle over there wrx5, but if you have salvage/junk yards to visit that will give you a wider range of vehicles to check for the necessary equipment.

I'm still trying to find an actual picture of that wiring harness. something about it seems strange to me.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Okay, did a little research using the vin from the first mylink radio I tested. And I found some part numbers regarding the rear view camera option.

Harness

Camera

Heads Up Display & Camera

Wiring harness part number

Unfortunately, it does not show the entire harness, just the section that plugs into the trunk latch.

However, the part number for the HUD & Camera comes back also to the 2011 Equinox. I'm not certain as to the equivalent vehicle over there wrx5, but if you have salvage/junk yards to visit that will give you a wider range of vehicles to check for the necessary equipment.

I'm still trying to find an actual picture of that wiring harness. something about it seems strange to me.
I found a complete set at one of the wreckers for $400 AUD. Touch screen, headunit with sat/nav, front panel (buttons), trunk lid with original camera and all required harnesses.

However, my understanding from you guys that even if I get this I won't be able to get camera working as wiring will be missing between trunk and driver kick panel. (or even maybe between headunit and kick panel also).

If this is the case I cannot see any point to pay that money.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I found a complete set at one of the wreckers for $400 AUD. Touch screen, headunit with sat/nav, front panel (buttons), trunk lid with original camera and all required harnesses.

However, my understanding from you guys that even if I get this I won't be able to get camera working as wiring will be missing between trunk and driver kick panel. (or even maybe between headunit and kick panel also).

If this is the case I cannot see any point to pay that money.
I hope you didn't think I was chasing you off from the other thread :) But it turns out that your answer to the matter of wiring is actually over there.

Thanks to dhpnet, we know not only which connector the camera interfaces to, but the pins as well. You can use that information to splice an RCA connector into your preexisting X2 connector and just install a 3rd party backup camera instead. Make sure you get a CCD type camera and not a cmos type.

[url]http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/36-gen1-audio-electronics/55641-mylink-upgrade-diy-post2663722.html#post2663722

[/URL]

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I didn't know Cruze had HUD
Yeah, something's funny there - especially since it's the same price as a camera. Plunking in that part number elsewhere seems to only result in the camera. No display.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Yeah, something's funny there - especially since it's the same price as a camera. Plunking in that part number elsewhere seems to only result in the camera. No display.
It's like that for a lot of vehicles. Like I said I think it is just a generic part section name.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Neither did I. I assume it is a generic section name.

I really really do miss the HUD on my 96 Grand Prix and 1990 Oldsmobile Trofeo.
I used to have 2009 BMW 530i E60 and missed the HUD option that it has. Very useful. It was even showing the nav directions.

·
10,712 Posts
I didn't know Cruze had HUD
Neither did I. I assume it is a generic section name.

I really really do miss the HUD on my 96 Grand Prix and 1990 Oldsmobile Trofeo.
They still exist. Vette obviously, Camaro and my mom's 2016 Acadia Denali has it.

·
10,712 Posts
Btw, here is the original GM "Mylink" :)

View attachment 218298
That's also the Old School OnStar

I know they still exist. It was strange to see a section listing for the Cruze though.
It may be a generic list as you said or random "make it look sophisticated on paper" like when you see a F/S ad that says MyLink with built in telematics navigation to give off the illusion it's got stand alone nav.

There was a old 80's Buick that also had a similar touch screen setup. I can't for the life of me find it again if I wanted to.

As for the camera and harness, was there a certain year and trim it's just already there?

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/36-g.../127850-2014-cruze-2lt-add-backup-camera.html

·
Registered
509 Posts
That's also the Old School OnStar
Hmm, interesting... Because it predates OnStar by 7 years.

As for the camera and harness, was there a certain year and trim it's just already there?

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/36-g.../127850-2014-cruze-2lt-add-backup-camera.html
Everything I've read says that the LTZs have it standard. All others still need to add it as part of packages. Not sure how much that changed over the years though.

Based on that thread, it sounds like the 2014s were prewired for the camera. That should extend to the 2015 Cruzes and 2016 Cruze Limiteds also. It is possible the 2013 might also be that way.

For me however, I'm SOL. Factory installed cameras didn't exist for 2011 & 2012, so there is no wiring for it at all.

·
10,712 Posts
Hmm, interesting... Because it predates OnStar by 7 years.
I meant the mobile phone pictured below, OnStar was a blue button on the old school phone but I also can't find that picture anymore either.

Everything I've read says that the LTZs have it standard. All others still need to add it as part of packages. Not sure how much that changed over the years though.

Based on that thread, it sounds like the 2014s were prewired for the camera. That should extend to the 2015 Cruzes and 2016 Cruze Limiteds also. It is possible the 2013 might also be that way.

For me however, I'm SOL. Factory installed cameras didn't exist for 2011 & 2012, so there is no wiring for it at all.
Kinda makes me wish I looked in my trunk on my 13. Eco got it if you got the drivers convenience package. I saw a thread and was almost about to drop $200 on the chrome camera bar but the OP vanished like the older MyLink threads and I abandoned that mod.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
OK, i got to my manuals - interesting. First, I was wrong - both backup lights run off the same BCM signal. Here's the wiring for the backup camera:

X915 - (License lamp harness to rear compartment lid harness) is a 4 pin connector for non-UVC, but a 10 pin for UVC.

X900 - (Rear compartment list harness to body harness) has the same shell for all types. But we'll hvae to see if it has the wires.

Pin 15 - Bare wire - Ground
Pin 16 - WH/BU - Video signal ground
Pin 17 - GY/YE - Video
Pin 20 - GN/WH - Backup lights
Pin 21 - VT/BK - Run voltage from F54UA from underhood.

Note that the video signal ends up a X2 on the radio - but basic radios don't have a X2 connector. So, my thought is that cars with the base radio have a whole different instrument panel harness. Cars with MyLink *might* have the body cabling, but will have a different trunk lid cable.

Reactions: Merc6
1 - 20 of 144 Posts