Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered some window tint 35%, if I put that over the factory 70 I'm pretty sure I would be breaking the law if anybody can help me and tell me which percent I need to buy to have it around 35 to 40 the legal tent right here in state of Georgia is 32%

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
70% daylight transmittance. 30% tint.

Stock is 25%.

If your stock is actually 70..you’re already over the limit twice over.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
70% daylight transmittance. 30% tint.

Stock is 25%.

If your stock is actually 70..you’re already over the limit twice over.

Well what will you recommend what percent to go over the stock window tint I'm just trying to get it a little darker because it's very light

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’d imagine you’d just have to test it. 2 layers of tint might not add up exactly.
Yeah and I thought about removing the factory tent but I'm assuming it's going to be hard to do that. I emailed the guy that I got the tent from he said he recommends putting a really light color over the factory to make sure it's not. Breaking the law. .

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
If your state has safety inspections. Take it to a shop and measure.

I'm not aware of factory tint that can be scraped. It's part of the window. If you got something that can be scraped. It was probably already done by a shop.

IF, you're talking about the front windows.
The backs may be tinted. I don't think the cruze was a factory option though.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’d imagine you’d just have to test it. 2 layers of tint might not add up exactly.
If your state has safety inspections. Take it to a shop and measure.

I'm not aware of factory tint that can be scraped. It's part of the window. If you got something that can be scraped. It was probably already done by a shop.

IF, you're talking about the front windows.
The backs may be tinted. I don't think the cruze was a factory option though.

That is what it says on the side of the window. Yeah I'm talking to somebody that does window tint in my town we have mutual friends he was telling me you can't scrape that off. what shade of window tint I should put over my windows

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
In my state sedans aren’t allowed to be tinted at all but I have a 20 percent tint and it’s common here. Cops usually don’t care

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
10,814 Posts
I ordered some window tint 35%, if I put that over the factory 70 I'm pretty sure I would be breaking the law if anybody can help me and tell me which percent I need to buy to have it around 35 to 40 the legal tent right here in state of Georgia is 32%
I cannot find my post where I show the locations and explain better, but this should work.

I would look at both of these websites. Also if you look at your current windows, each of them will indicate the percent VLT on them. It may be difficult to see at first, but adjust the andle you look at them and keep looking for it.

To calculate the actual VLT of the glass with film applied to it, you need to multiply the VLT of the window tint applied by the VLT of the glass. e.g. applying a 5% film to glass with an 80% tint to it, you would multiply 5% x 80% = (0.05×0.80)x100 = 4%. So the glass and window tint would have a combined VLT of 4%.

Tint darkness for sedans: Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield. Front Side windows: Must allow more than 32% of light in. Back Side windows: Must allow more than 32% of light in. Rear Window: Must allow more than 32% of light in.
Source: Georgia Tint Laws - 2020 & 2021 - Car Tinting Laws

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
At 32% light in. You're blocking 68%.

70% light has to go through.

That's how it's written in my state manual.
We're not doing safety anymore though. The program was discontinued.

Google your state safety inspection manual.
Or some state that performs safety inspections.

Cops want to be able to see the driver at night.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

In my state sedans aren’t allowed to be tinted at all but I have a 20 percent tint and it’s common here. Cops usually don’t care
I cannot find my post where I show the locations and explain better, but this should work.

I would look at both of these websites. Also if you look at your current windows, each of them will indicate the percent VLT on them. It may be difficult to see at first, but adjust the andle you look at them and keep looking for it.

To calculate the actual VLT of the glass with film applied to it, you need to multiply the VLT of the window tint applied by the VLT of the glass. e.g. applying a 5% film to glass with an 80% tint to it, you would multiply 5% x 80% = (0.05×0.80)x100 = 4%. So the glass and window tint would have a combined VLT of 4%.

Tint darkness for sedans: Windshield: Non-reflective tint is allowed on the top 6 inches of the windshield. Front Side windows: Must allow more than 32% of light in. Back Side windows: Must allow more than 32% of light in. Rear Window: Must allow more than 32% of light in.
Source: Georgia Tint Laws - 2020 & 2021 - Car Tinting Laws

So should I go ahead and put a 35% tint on the windows like I said my only concern is 35% which whatever is on the window I'm worried is going to make it look a lot darker

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
10,814 Posts
So should I go ahead and put a 35% tint on the windows like I said my only concern is 35% which whatever is on the window I'm worried is going to make it look a lot darker
What is the tint level currently on your car? I gave you some instructions above, have you read them?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts