Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looks like my failed alternator might have just saved my engine. I was at 209k, and waiting for a convenient time to do my 200k timing service (100k service done at 108k), when the alternator failed, causing me to also get around to the timing service while I was in there. When I removed the timing cover, this was the condition of my timing belt, and the amount of rubber debris that had been deposited inside the timing cover. The belt was so loose that I could pull it off without releasing the tensioner, but fortunately it hadn't slipped any teeth yet.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Bumper Gas
Automotive tire Synthetic rubber Outdoor shoe Grey Finger

·
Super Moderator
7,354 Posts
Who did the belt, and we’re the parts GM?

Reactions: CHEVYCRUZE RS

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,029 Posts
Woah...

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Who did the belt, and we’re the parts GM?
I did the belt in March of 2019 (3.5 years and 101k miles ago). The belt was an ACDelco Professional TB350 belt, and the idlers/tensioners and water pump were all GM parts.

Once I finished tearing down, it looks like the skewed alternator pulley might have been causing some interference between the inner edge of the serpentine belt and the outer edge of the timing belt at some point in the path (which would explain the burned rubber-smelling dumpster fire of a situation I found when I parked it. . Once I took the motor mount off, I found that he timing tensioner was also backed off to nearly zero, but everything else on the timing belt path was in good condition. I couldn't tell if the old belt had stretched or if I had been running 1 tooth off for a while, because the timing marks had disappeared from the old belt due to the damage, but I did have to adjust the cam gear by 1 tooth to get the new belt onto it.

Because the alternator failed, and the A/C had been problematic for the past 2 years, every pulley on the front of the engine is now new except the cam/crank pulleys and the fuel pump. So, hopefully there won't be any repeats of this situation.

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just speculating, but I'd say the tensioner failed. Then the belt started to get beaten up.
The tensioner was significantly behind the mark it should have been set to, but I'm not sure if was due to any fault on the tensioner's part, or because the belt was no longer providing resistance to it. . The belt had definitely stretched, though. It was harder to put the new belt on un-tensioned, than it was to remove the old belt with whatever tension was left on it.

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
7,029 Posts
I have a 2018 LT. For some reason I thought mine has a timing chain. I’m at 120k miles. Should I tear into mine to check its condition?
The 2.0TD and the 1.8L in the 1st gens have a timing belt, I believe both 1.4Ts (1st and 2nd gen) and the 1.6TD have timing chains.

Reactions: revjpeterson
1 - 10 of 10 Posts