Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Fan no running without Ac

144 6
Hi Cruze family so I think I’m having a common electrical issue

My cooling fan only turns on when my A/C is on even the car has been running for long and i can hear pressure leaking from surge tank cap, also high pressure in pipes.
I recently did the heat gasket replacement because of over heating.

Has new thermostat and coolent sensor

Any ideas ?

I’m thinking it’s some type of electrical problem.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Premium Member
7,542 Posts
I'd measure the temperature of the engine. But I'm also puzzled by the leak from the surge tank. You may have a bad cap. The hoses should have pressure.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I already changed the cap, yesterday after driving the 20 km I observed fan still not working after stopping the engine when i checked the engine outlet pipe i can feel the coolent like boiling.

· Premium Member
7,542 Posts
Boiling might be an overheat, but it might also be a leak that's not allowing pressure to build. Without a temperature measurement, you can't tell if the engine is overheating.

The fact the fan runs with the A/C proves the fan itself is OK. That's the usual failure point in these cars.

You also might make sure all the air has been purged. That's another common issue.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Boiling might be an overheat, but it might also be a leak that's not allowing pressure to build. Without a temperature measurement, you can't tell if the engine is overheating.

The fact the fan runs with the A/C proves the fan itself is OK. That's the usual failure point in these cars.

You also might make sure all the air has been purged. That's another common issue.
Hi Good Day, today in the the morning i open the bleeder which is located on the back side of the left corner, when i opened coolant came with little pressure, then I opened the cap of surge tank to remove the whole air when coolant was coming continuously then i put back the bleeder valve cap and fill the surge tank. After that i drive the car approximately 30 km. But I didn’t feel like fan is on . On the other side when I parked the car after driving I didn’t feel like water is boiling inside the engine outlet pipe as well as radiator outlet was not that much hot.
also after bleeding the air I didn’t hear much nosie of waster sloshing. On little like which is coming back from throttle i think. .
Thank you. I will observe more so that atlest i can hear the sound of fan .

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
N
Fwiw, if the cooling system has a leak and the pressure can't build, the coolant temperature can't get above 100 C. And the fan is probably set to come on at about 110 C.
If you fix the leak, I'm thinking the fan will start working.
No i didn’t feel like coolant is leaking because i loke to check every time when i am going to check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts