Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2011 Cruz, I bought with 37,00 miles on it, has had problems from the day I drove it off the lot. First, the fan would just start to roar because it seemed to think the engine was overheating. Kept getting worse by the day. Took it in and they said they fixed the issue....it was computer trouble. Then the Turbocharger blew out. So, they replaced that under warranty but it had blown junk up into the engine and the whole engine needed replacing (The dealership doesn't warranty the new engine, by the way) Still continued with electrical problems because they didn't replace the wiring harness when they replaced the engineandt it was damaged too so they had to replace it. All this within the first 6 months I owned the car.
Now, the fan issue has come up again. It has started racing when I'm actually driving and when the car is idling. It roars like the engine is going to blow up. And, this is on the new engine.
It's going into the dealership again. But, will this fix be temporary, or is there a history of this issue with this car, since it's happening again on a new engine? If it is the computer and they have to do a fix on it, then will it come back again in the future? This really is ridiculous.
When I told the dealership this may fall under the Lemon Law, he said he didn't think it qualified. Do I have absolutely no recourse on this car?
Any insight into the car problems or any recourse would be helpful.
Really fed up..

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Hello,

Thermostat issues on the 1.4 liter are rare, but how is the coolant level in the expansion tank? If it's low, it may be leaking somewhere (unfortunately, THIS is not uncommon), or it may just have needed to be bled correctly once the new engine was installed and has now burped out the air.

Beyond that, make sure that the mass airflow sensor plug is securely fastened - it contains an air intake temperature sensor, and if loose or not making a good connection, the engine fan runs hard as a fail-safe.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
There's any number of things that can cause that symptom. The most critical is to make sure you have plenty of coolant in the tank. And by that, I mean "nearly full".

Something else that's not uncommon in these cars is for the fan's resistor pack to die transforming the 3-speed fan from low/medium/high into off/off/high. That requires the fan to be replaced.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts