Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read some on here about the cruze having a 3 speed fan and some people having problems with their fan running like crazy....A little quick history..I just bought this car off a girl that bought it back in the winter rebuilt..She said she wasnt sure if the air worked when she got it as it was winter and she said she never tried it...But when i tried it, the compresser wouldnt kick on and the electric cooling fan wouldnt kick on and of course only warm air from vents...Took it to the chevy dealer and they tried to put freon in it and the pressure release valve or expansion valve whatever you call it poped and released all the freon...So they replaced the valve and put freon in it and it gets cold now..But the problem is the fan doesnt kick on as soon as the a/c is turn on...After turned on in about 15 seconds the fans runs at a real high speed for around 10 seconds then kicks off for about 5 seconds then kicks back on kick again and does this the entire time..I was under the impression by reading these forums that when you turn your a/c on the fan kicks on and runs constantly but not at the really high speed....Before I take it back to the dealer I want to make sure I know its not supposed to just run at that top speed when on a/c....Im sure anyone with a cruze will know the answer to this and I thank anyone with any info to help...Thanks...PS is a 2012 model.....So please anyone with a cruze raise your hood and turn your a/c on and see if the fan is running or not..If yes is it constantly running or kicking on and off at normal or high speed...

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,346 Posts
A/C should run at low or medium speed depending on the pressures at the condenser. If it's running straight to jet engine mode, then cycling off again, the fan relay/assembly is bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much for the reply..Can a person just replace the fan relay assemble and where is that located.., or does one have replace the fan and shroud assembly...

·
17,346 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
radiator.jpg I saw these on ebay..Aftermarket fan and shroud and I circled the part I thought might have the relay..But only $70 shipped thought I would give it a try for the price..

·
17,346 Posts
Would there be a high pressure fan switch also?
Fan goes into high mode if the pressures are too high, yes. But it should start off @ lower speeds before ramping up.

At least that's what mine did when the expansion valve was bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes when I first turn my a/c on the fan doesnt come on at all until about 10 seconds then the super fast mode comes on then off then on....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts