Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So after driving a long weekend of about 1200kms of driving i have come to realize that the 1.8l cruze does pretty well at going 80km per hour in 6th, I was averaging about 34 miles per gallon. Decent to say the most. But when i started to get annoyed with all of the slow drivers on the country highways I would try passing them, i would have to drop the cruze into 3rd gear where there is only just enough power to slowly and sometimes dangerously get around a few cars. Within 45 minutes of driving a little more aggressively i burned a quarter tank and averaged about 15-17mpg. Quite sad. Anyways I do not commute to work and i don't drive that often, only putting 6000kms on the car in one year. Made me realize. I dont need an econobox. I would much rather sacrifice MPG for HP.

Long story short. I traded her in for a pretty much brand-new 2010 Doge Challenger RT 5.7 L Hemi V8, 6speed. 11000kms, 380hp, 410ft pond of torque, 0-60 in in the mid 4s. Needless to say the smile never leaves my face. She gets around
25mpg. Not bad considering its almost 3 times as powerful.

Most shocking of all is that the Challenger is LESS on insurance then the Cruze. From all providers, I saved 50 bucks a month with same provider. More then enough to cover extra gas spent.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Muscle car Alloy wheel

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Whatcha guys think.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Not a bad trade ;)

I drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Hemi once - man, that thing had some incredible power for a heavy car.

I'm actually quite surprised that it's that much less on insurance - definitely would not have called that. Used to be as soon as you went over the 200 hp barrier, your insurance rate went up.

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
Not a bad trade ;)

I drove a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a Hemi once - man, that thing had some incredible power for a heavy car.

I'm actually quite surprised that it's that much less on insurance - definitely would not have called that. Used to be as soon as you went over the 200 hp barrier, your insurance rate went up.
Trading in a newer car for an older car helps a lot. For some reason, the Cruze is also more expensive to insure than some of the other options I was looking at when I was shopping for cars back in January.

In either case, if you don't need the MPG, I don't blame you. Looks like a much more fun car to drive!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Guys! Yeah me and a few co-workers were maybe thinking because its not a "commuter car" it spends much less time on the road therefor not being in as many fender benders? I dont know?

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
...yeah, I, too, noticed that our "American-made" Cruze co$t$ more to insure than some "imported" cars (like my Vibe)! So much for 10 airbags, etc..

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
True, But the Cruze is really korean. Challenger is made in Ontario Canada. hmmmm.... wonder if that could be it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Trading in a newer car for an older car helps a lot. For some reason, the Cruze is also more expensive to insure than some of the other options I was looking at when I was shopping for cars back in January.

In either case, if you don't need the MPG, I don't blame you. Looks like a much more fun car to drive!
also lower priced cars are totaled easier than a expensive car if in a accident.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also lower priced cars are totaled easier than a expensive car if in a accident.
and that makes them more expensive on insurance? :S

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Registered
154 Posts
Most shocking of all is that the Challenger is LESS on insurance then the Cruze. From all providers, I saved 50 bucks a month with same provider. More then enough to cover extra gas spent.

That's insane! Well, sad to see you leave your Penelope :p - I hope you have a lot more fun with this V8 powerhouse! Good luck and share some pics of the interior, how's the room in the rear seats?

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
No offense, but the ONLY way you will get 25 mpg out of that heavy V8 is if you drive it like you first drove the Cruze. Under 60 mph, no fast starts or passing and keep it below 2500 rpm at all times. Not to mention, it has almost twice the fuel capacity. Also with a 10.1:1 CR, you'll probably have to run 91 and above octane fuel to stop it from knocking.

On the bright side, its tons of fun to have that kind of HP under your foot.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
and that makes them more expensive on insurance? :S

Yes, think for a second which one cost the insurance company more, a repair on a car or blue-book value for the car. A year or two down the road you get in an accident, the blue-book value is so low on a cheap car that they end up just paying to totaled value(cheaper than the repairs).
Even if the repair is cheaper than blue-book they might just total it anyway, because that 1000dollars in blue-book value over repair cost might cost them another repair after you get the car back, say $8,000 again if you get in another accident. Much cheaper for them to just total the car & start fresh with a new car again.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Be careful driving it. One of the reasons I traded in my Trifecta tuned 2009 Cobalt SS turbo was because you reached licence losing speeds almost instantly when trying to have fun.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No offense, but the ONLY way you will get 25 mpg out of that heavy V8 is if you drive it like you first drove the Cruze. Under 60 mph, no fast starts or passing and keep it below 2500 rpm at all times. Not to mention, it has almost twice the fuel capacity. Also with a 10.1:1 CR, you'll probably have to run 91 and above octane fuel to stop it from knocking.

Thats fine with me, like i said MPG not a huge factor. And yeah i know if i drive it like the cruze will be 25mpg, I dropped it in 6th gear going 100kms/60mph and the gear is so deep i think i was under 1000rpm,

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
oh i know, but i have pretty good restraint, i just sold my 1000cc R1 motorcycle. Faster than any car on the road. Not one ticket.

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts

...I know quite a few Corvette owners who routinely get 28-29 mpg at 65-70 mph, so it's not necessarily impossible, just improbable, maybe.

·
Super Moderator
5,171 Posts
Whatcha guys think.
You didn't tune yet did you? Tune would have corrected that problem. I had the same issue with my 1.8 no guts power or glory and considered trading mine also until I tuned. Then most those issues went away. Well hind sight is 20/20 and the Challenger is a nice car and a good trade! You know you will always have the power and you quickly forget the MPG with the driving experience. If you don't need the econobox, you made a good move. Good luck and congrats!

I hate to day driving a Cruze is one of those love/hate/accept type of driving relationships and at times I am still on the fence as far as where I fall under that category. I drive my wife's 2.2 auto Malibu and it will move but it is not a fun car to drive but I almost enjoy the auto tranny. esp in accelerating traffic.I don't know what I would trade my Cruze for if I wanted to trade(I don't know the car market anymore)

·
Premium Member
2,821 Posts
Was out this evening driving my 04 GTO 6M. Had to replace the original 8 year old battery this weekend and wanted to make sure replacement battery (Optima Red Top) was well charged. That car is fun to drive, tons of low end torque. And yes I have pulled very high 20's (28-29 mpgs) on the highway at 65 mph. Turns about 1500 rpm at 60 MPH in 6th gear.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.