Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For starters, this forum/subforum has been awesome and I'm glad to have been a part of it over the last 6 or so years. Many thanks to all those who posted helpful threads in the How-To's and helped solve any of the numerous emissions issues we collectively suffered 😵‍💫 and a moment of silence for all those who never gave the car a chance to shine! I greatly appreciate the time and knowledge others were willing to share to help complete strangers like myself!

So to summerize my experience, over the last 7 years I racked up 175k miles and averaged 41 mpg with a best tank average just shy of 50mpg and a 25 mile average high of 84mpg. Went through two sets of tires with about 80k on each with a third set put on this year, rotated every oil change. Replaced the battery after about 3 years. Replaced the OEM pads/rotors at 170k with some life still left. Only ever used Mobile Super 3000 / ESP 5w-30 with ACDelco filters, never burned a drop of oil. Replaced the air/cabin/fuel filters annually. Replaced the turbo purge solenoid three times. Replaced the headlights a few times, all other marker lights still had OEM bulbs. Repalced timing belt/waterpump/tensioner at 110k. Replaced trans cooler line. Replaced downstran NOx and PM sensors. ECU flashed a few times per recalls. Replaced DPF after charge pipe popped off with less than 500 miles. Outside the emissions related issues, most things were routine maintenance any car will require.

Cons for this car were mainly limited to diesel emissions failures which were easily overshadowed by positives like power, efficiency, and comfort. It was a lot of fun to drive and the ride was comfortable and quiet, especially compared to other similar cars. All around a great car IMHO.

It was tough handing over the keys today, but I've been wanting a truck since before I could drive. So today I took delivery of my new 2021 GMC Sierra AT4 with the all new Duramax LM2 turbo diesel! It was the best compromise between practicality as a DIY homeowner and efficiency for commuting (first trip home netted 26mpg!). So, while I may not have the Cruze anymore I'll still stop in to creep and offer anything I may have to offer.

Best of luck to all!

Josh
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive side marker light

Attachments

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,573 Posts
It's certainly sad to see another Cruze diesel leave the site...but I think you picked an excellent powertrain for your replacement! The LM2/10AT is a real sweetheart and really can kill it on fuel economy because diesel! Hopefully some of the emissions issues we've all experienced are ironed out a bit more being the "latest gen", but I'm sure it will be just as enjoyable a vehicle as your CTD was!

Reactions: LulzT1

·
Reverend Red Bull
1,147 Posts
Great choice on the replacement. I'll be passing my Cruze Diesel on to my daughter with about 250k on the odometer when she turns 16 next year, and a used 2020 LM2 pickup is in my top 3 choices for my next vehicle (against the Ram or Gladiator with the EcoDiesel).

·
COTM Winner
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,573 Posts
If you tow, the Gladiator has been showing some very strange behavior when it comes to towing as of the last few years. Motor Trend absolutely will not tow with one anymore because it was downright unsafe.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts