Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a fault code of P0171 system too lean bank 1. My symptoms are a rough idle. Thinking that this might be some bad fuel (meaning contaminated), I ran some Techron through it and it seemed ok, ay first. It ran ok for the first several miles, then it started having a rough idle again. Has anyone one else experienced this type of problem and if so, what was the fix?

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Assuming we are discussing a 1.4t the most common culprit is a failed PCV valve......downside is, it is integral with the cam cover......upside is, it is covered under the 5yr 100k powertrain warranty.

Remove the spark plug cover and you will see a sort of disc shaped plate with a small hole in it glued into the rocker cover.
Start the engine and if it failed there will be vacuum present at the breather hole.....might even whistle for you.
Put your finger over the hole and it will stabilize momentarily.....just to prove it to yourself.

Do not consider operating the car with this plugged though.....you could cause other damage.

Best guess at this distance,

Rob

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip Rob. I went and tried this and sure enough there was vacuum at the hole and when I put my finger over the hole it did whistle. I'll take it to the dealer on Monday. Strange though I just popped up one morning. Oh well,glad to know that it's nothing serious. Now I'll see how honest my dealer is!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts