Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

I've worked at Napa for quite a while, so I'm certainly biased, but I'm curious on what everyone's perspectives on what the best parts store is.

What's your favorite/what's the best? And why?

Thanks!

·
Administrator
15,614 Posts
Rockauto.com is the first place I check if I don't need the part immediately, and has the best chance of actually finding what I need. Second to that for GM only parts is gmpartsdirect or one of my buddies that works at a GM dealer.

If I need something local, NAPA. If NAPA doesn't have it, I'll settle for O'Reilley's down the street.

I've been burned too many times trying to find a basic part like a PCV valve for a Corolla at Carquest. That place is useless. Autozone employees seem to be woefully incompetent. We have Advance Auto here though, which seems to be pretty decent.

·
Registered
574 Posts
1st eBay 2nd advanced auto 3rd AutoZone 4th GM right down the road & other places too. eBay is a money saver to me just know what you are buying first & your all good

·
Super Moderator
5,528 Posts
If time permits, Rock Auto......Primarily because of their good OE coverage.
Of course, you need a bit of mechanical background to know what you're looking for .....a first time DIY may end up the incorrect part even though the catalogue is as simple as could be created IMO.

NAPA, O'Rielly, Auto Zone, and such are enslaved by their counter people......like anything else, there are good ones and.....not so good.
Same applies to dealers.....some counter folks go the extra mile with appropriate questions to get it right.....some just order in the hopes it'll be right and you go away.

No different than any other parts resources......incorrect parts to repair a washing machine happens as well.

Kinda sux but buyer beware is still the order of the day.

Rob

·
Registered
148 Posts
Depends on the part. With my Aerostars things that may need replacement I would go to Oriley's, Autozone, or Advance (I deem them all roughly equivalent, Autozone was closest). For example, my alternator failed twice on that van. Walking a bad part into the store with receipt is much easier than mail order.

·
Super Moderator
4,954 Posts
I used to work for Nationwise Autoparts and Autoparts Warehouse Outlet back in the 80s in Cincinnati. Both of which are closed now. I really don't buy auto parts much anymore. As XR stated, if time permits I use rockauto mainly due to price. There is a place in Cinti that sells AC Delco parts that I can go to and they are pretty reasonable pricewise. I went there to buy rotors for my car since they were only $32 ea where everyone else wanted 50+. RockAuto only wants 60 ea. for struts for my wife's car where they are 130+ elsewhere. As we said back in the 80s "Parts is Parts: Brakes 2 for the front and 2 for the back": Parts is Parts. Or better yet, if we ain't got it you don't need it. I really don't have a favorite anymore since I don't go often. When it comes to buying for the Cruze, it is typically availability like filters. I think NAPA has the WIX filters and plugs for the Cruze so I will shop there. Wife always at work with her car so I never get a chance to see what it needs. One day it may "fall apart" or die due to neglect. But it is typically availability.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Online, I use GMpartsdirect for part numbers, and then find them on RockAuto or Amazon.
Brick and mortar stores I rank NAPA ~= Advance Auto >>> Autozone. IMO, Autozone employees are some of the least knowledgeable.

·
Premium Member
7,777 Posts
My favorite would be whoever carries AC Delco. "Parts is parts" only applies to parts of the same brand.

NAPA bought out the local place that carried AC Delco for the non-pros. I frequently end up at O'Riley's just because they're open until like 8 or 9 PM. If I go NAPA, I either have to take time off or go on a Saturday.

Mail order, it's RockAuto - and long before I came to this forum.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Amazon and Rock Auto. Walmart for oil.
If I can't wait for Amazon and Rock I use a local non national chain to get parts. They are pretty price competitive and their counter guys run circles around the chain stores. They are closed on Sunday, so if I need something on Sunday I'll try my luck with Autozone and Advance Auto Parts. What I do like about Autozone is their warranty on parts. My son has a piece 'o crap Monte Carlo that likes ignition parts. I have no problem exchanging out parts at Autozone.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Amazon and Rock Auto. Walmart for oil.
If I can't wait for Amazon and Rock I use a local non national chain to get parts. They are pretty price competitive and their counter guys run circles around the chain stores. They are closed on Sunday, so if I need something on Sunday I'll try my luck with Autozone and Advance Auto Parts. What I do like about Autozone is their warranty on parts. My son has a piece 'o crap Monte Carlo that likes ignition parts. I have no problem exchanging out parts at Autozone.
Have you tried using OEM ignition parts in the Monte? My experience is aftermarket ignition parts don't last compared to OEM.

·
Premium Member
7,777 Posts
Walmart for oil.
Whoops. I forgot about that. Same here.

If I can't wait for Amazon and Rock I use a local non national chain to get parts. They are pretty price competitive and their counter guys run circles around the chain stores.
I used to - mostly because they carried AC Delco. But NAPA bought them out and dropped the AC Delco line. <grumble>

·
Registered
57 Posts
As said by so many here Rockauto is great. I usually check their prices against Amazon. In a pinch a local place will do but I prefer online parts shopping.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For your business can come platform for online auto parts store Zapscript Net
The system has good functionality for the sale of spare parts.

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
Locally my advanced auto parts is ran very well but i only deal with 3 people there. I have snapped cv axle shafts on my jeep many times and i just swap um at the store no questions asked lol. Lifetime is lifetime

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Used to be track auto but they've left the area or went out of business?
Now it's autozone or rock auto if I have time to wait for the parts.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
While I like that little gal that runs our local NAPA store, she tells me they have to go through four distributors before they can get anything.

Before that 2008 crunch, the best prices I could get anywhere was from my local dealerships, even as much as 70% off the MSRP, have a direct line distribution, and nobody buys parts cheaper than OEM.

Was true for all them, Ford, GM, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, etc. But this sure changed Toyota wanted 450 bucks for a fuel pump, you got to be kidding, well I can let you have it for $430. Carquest, NAPA, O'Reilly, Advanced Auto were also this way, but this sure changed.

So off to the internet, not only rockauto.com, but others as well, even ebay has a ton of OEM parts, that is where I got my OEM fog lamp kit for 130 bucks with free shipping. Best my Chevy dealer would do was $240 plus tax, but we won't talk about this.

It does help to have more than one vehicle, with just one, you are screwed. Think these retailers are really dumb, we have good times and mostly bad. When I was running my plant during bad times, decreased my prices and actually saw our sales go way up. While other idiots were raising their prices going bankrupt. Better to make 10% of something than 40% of nothing, very simple common sense logic.

·
Premium Member
1,917 Posts
Better to make 10% of something than 40% of nothing, very simple common sense logic.
it all comes down to greed. they think your only option is them and you'll come back mentality. i got news for ya competition in the market drives down prices

1 - 20 of 23 Posts