Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to express my disappointment in GM and Chevrolet. I am the owner of a 2011 Chevy Cruze that was purchased brand new in 2011. Recently my check engine turned on and the code was P0597 and P0598 cooling system and thermostat faults. So I took my car to a mechanic to get it looked at and he said I would need to replace my thermostat and housing. The part was order through GM and came from Joe Ball. Turns out the old thermostat that was in my car had a plastic housing around the thermostat which was causing my car to think the engine was over heating. GM did change the design of the thermostat to have a metal housing on the new thermostat even though the label on the box says that the part was made in Korea so much for having an American made car but anyway I had gotten that issue resolved. Now my check engine light is on again for a different code P057c Brake Pedal Position Sensor. I am extremely upset about this considering I had just fixed the thermostat issue. Needless to say I am going to have to go spend more money to fix a 4 year old car that should not have these issues. I am I good driver and the only owner of this car. It has never been in an accident and is taken good care of. I am absolutely fed up with Chevrolet and GM. This is also the second Chevy that I have bought brand new which I should have never given Chevrolet the second chance when I got rid of my Cobalt that was also bought brand new and also had multiple recalls and defective parts. After everything that I have been dealing in the past month to get my car fixed I know that once I am done paying this car off I will NEVER buy another GM or Chevrolet nor will my friends and family after seeing all of the troubles that I am having.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
A fact of life…..machines break….cars, washers, driers, furnaces and so on.
All car dealers employ mechanics……because all brand cars will eventually need repair.

Just the way it is.

Repair it and move on,

Rob

·
Registered
1 Posts
KellieCass,
I am having the exact same issues. 2012 Chevy Cruze with problem after problem from the beginning including having the pedal replaced twice, sensor 1 circuit bad multiple times, check engine light on too many times to count, thermostat problems, water pump, transmission, stabil trac light on many times, went threw over 40 times (while driving & on the road) of reduced engine power failures causing a de-excelaration of engine power so bad that I had to pull car off road. Beyond fed up and will never recommend nor buy Chevy Cruze again, family concurs and also will never purchase. Going to contact GM Customer Service to file a case with them, give all my information and report the dealership in PA. for their lack of concern and inability to resolve the same problem. A car should not be having all of these issues as I have been seeing more consumer complaints than I could even have imagined regarding the Cruze.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,297 Posts
Sup Robbie ... Yada yada yada ...that time of the year again to get these pesky owners that just cannot understand that stuff breaks down from time to time ..good for us with the many skills and tools that are needed in this world to easily assess is we really want to bust our knuckles again or would like some one else to deal with these inconveniences of our lives ..

OP if you would like to cry now and need a shoulder . Make a friend with tools ...............

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Can't really get upset about a brake position sensor, a potentiometer, either a dirty contact or the adjustment is off, worse case, its a ten buck part.

Nor a thermostat,common problem in all vehicles, see for the Cruze both a plastic or an aluminum is available, I got stuck with a plastic one, but personally, I don't know which one is superior.

Aftermarket ones are now available for as cheap as 17 bucks, easy to change this on the Cruze, ha, try an 86 Honda Civic, takes more than a half a day.

Now if the front suspension falls off and my wife's get killed, I would be upset.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Brian V and Robby thank you I understand that it is part of being a car owner and that machines break I was simply expressing my disappointment I am not looking for sympathy or a way out of paying for it. I'm not sure why my post offended either of you I was simply explaining my situation like everyone else

·
Registered
110 Posts
I would like to express my disappointment in GM and Chevrolet. I am the owner of a 2011 Chevy Cruze that was purchased brand new in 2011. Recently my check engine turned on and the code was P0597 and P0598 cooling system and thermostat faults. So I took my car to a mechanic to get it looked at and he said I would need to replace my thermostat and housing. The part was order through GM and came from Joe Ball. Turns out the old thermostat that was in my car had a plastic housing around the thermostat which was causing my car to think the engine was over heating. GM did change the design of the thermostat to have a metal housing on the new thermostat even though the label on the box says that the part was made in Korea so much for having an American made car but anyway I had gotten that issue resolved. Now my check engine light is on again for a different code P057c Brake Pedal Position Sensor. I am extremely upset about this considering I had just fixed the thermostat issue. Needless to say I am going to have to go spend more money to fix a 4 year old car that should not have these issues. I am I good driver and the only owner of this car. It has never been in an accident and is taken good care of. I am absolutely fed up with Chevrolet and GM. This is also the second Chevy that I have bought brand new which I should have never given Chevrolet the second chance when I got rid of my Cobalt that was also bought brand new and also had multiple recalls and defective parts. After everything that I have been dealing in the past month to get my car fixed I know that once I am done paying this car off I will NEVER buy another GM or Chevrolet nor will my friends and family after seeing all of the troubles that I am having.
That very disappointing but remember 2011 may seem not that long ago but it is basically 5 years since the car was built. released in the end of 2010 and 2016 model came out a while back already.
If that's all that has happened in 5 years i would say not bad at all.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lisah8451 I'm sorry about all of the issues you have had but I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one having theses problems

·
Premium Member
5,647 Posts
Well that's silly and the reason your authorized Dealer tries to offer you additional Repair coverage at a nominal cost. I bought a brand new 2014 CRUZE, plunked down $22,000 ($30,000 over time) and spent a measly $1100 for a GMPP contract which covers me until 2021, Death, or being smashed by another 18 Wheeler. Honestly I can't survive another truck crash but I can bring my CRUZE in for unlimited repairs with a $0 deductible. Life is good!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Couple weeks ago, my Cruze radio started flashing on and off, would be very upset if I had to pay some kid 90 bucks an hour and play with it for hours. As it was, took me twenty minutes to find and fix the problem.

Last Friday, blower motor was making a racket, got that repaired this morning, parts cost, next to zero. Car problems I can deal with, greedy ex problems, I cannot. Guess it depends on the person.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks NickD I appreciate the help. As you might have guessed I am not a mechanic and know nothing about cars. Im just concerned that like my cobalt this is only the beggining of the issues i will have to fix. I just replaced the thermostat last tuesday and like i said in my original post my check engine light is on now a week later with a different code

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,781 Posts
For a human 5 years is young. But for a car it's 1825 days of "on, drive, off" and rough roads and traffic and weather etc.

I would be glad your repairs are cheap and not expensive. :) hopefully once you fix the sensor it will be the last for awhile. But again, it's a machine. You'll be alright.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
We all get frustrated with repairs, these are pretty minor repairs for a car 4-5 years old. Every car has issues and repairs. I find it laughable you are trashing GM over such minor issues.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Kellie, I'm sorry to hear of your troubles with the Cruze. In the grand scheme of things, they are nothing unusual though, especially for an almost 5 year old car. I have a co-worker who bought a new Toyota Camry, and just after the 36,000 mile warranty ran out, he had a major component in his braking system go bad. The dealer wanted to charge him at least $1500.00 to fix the problem on what was a 3 year old car. The point is, problems can happen with any brand of vehicle.

Lisa, you seem to have had quite a few issues with your 2012 Cruze, and some of them repeat problems. How many miles are on your Cruze? Are there any other Chevrolet Dealers in your area that you can try? What state are you in? Perhaps someone can recommend a different dealer for you, as you do not need to get your service from the dealer you bought the car. Sometimes, the dealer service can make ALL the difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We all get frustrated with repairs, these are pretty minor repairs for a car 4-5 years old. Every car has issues and repairs. I find it laughable you are trashing GM over such minor issues.
Im sorry you find it laughable good thing it isnt your car.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Im just concerned that like my cobalt this is only the beggining of the issues i will have to fix. I just replaced the thermostat last tuesday and like i said in my original post my check engine light is on now a week later with a different code
As a guy who's run older cars for a long time, repairs tend to come in waves. Yeah, it's maddening when that happens. But that's just the nature of life. Get this wave under control and everything will be good for awhile.

If that really bothers you, then perhaps you should look into a GM protection plan or leasing. The first covers the repairs, the second keeps you in a newer vehicle. The first is probably less expensive.

·
10,712 Posts
As a guy who's run older cars for a long time, repairs tend to come in waves. Yeah, it's maddening when that happens. But that's just the nature of life. Get this wave under control and everything will be good for awhile.

If that really bothers you, then perhaps you should look into a GM protection plan or leasing. The first covers the repairs, the second keeps you in a newer vehicle. The first is probably less expensive.
2nd could be less if they are a person who pretty much buys a car and gets bored with it after 2 years

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
The lease mileage is what would not work for me, The lowest mileage I drive is about 1100 miles a month. However if the mileage will work for you leasing is WAY cheaper than buying. My Cruze payment would be half what it is now if I was leasing and I would already be in a new car again(I bought my car in 2012).

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Good Morning Kellie,

I want to apologize for the negative experience with your Cruze, and I understand your frustration. We work diligently to provide you a high quality vehicle that we hope will exceed your expectations.

If you need any additional assistance, I would be happy to get in touch with the dealership on your behalf. Feel free to send me over a private message along with your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. I look forward to your response soon.

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
KellieCass,
I am having the exact same issues. 2012 Chevy Cruze with problem after problem from the beginning including having the pedal replaced twice, sensor 1 circuit bad multiple times, check engine light on too many times to count, thermostat problems, water pump, transmission, stabil trac light on many times, went threw over 40 times (while driving & on the road) of reduced engine power failures causing a de-excelaration of engine power so bad that I had to pull car off road. Beyond fed up and will never recommend nor buy Chevy Cruze again, family concurs and also will never purchase. Going to contact GM Customer Service to file a case with them, give all my information and report the dealership in PA. for their lack of concern and inability to resolve the same problem. A car should not be having all of these issues as I have been seeing more consumer complaints than I could even have imagined regarding the Cruze.
Hello Lisah,

I understand how frustrating this may seem, and if you need a case started, feel free to send me a private message. I would be happy to document this further on your behalf, and get in touch with the dealership. Be sure to include your VIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership. Looking forward to your response soon!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 20 of 32 Posts