Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get my car set up for auto cross, starting with weight reduction I got my backseat deleted and trunk stripped although with those two things done its probably only 10-15 lbs if that. Anyone got any ideas? I'm looking at getting the chassis braces, strut tower bars, and in the spring of next year getting coil overs, and rims and tires. Anything good from BFGoodrich in tires? Oh yeah, I'm thinking carbon fiber hood, fenders and trunk lid. I'm fairly new to the sport so any advice is welcomed on mods. Share your set ups and mods if u want.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Being that this is the 1.4 section, i'll stick to the script. Get the ZZP O2 housing (downpipe) and the catless mid-pipe. These pipes will allow faster spool which is needed in autoX style racing where you are constantly going from throttle to brakes to throttle and will improve power from idle to redline. These pipe are also significantly lighter weight than the oem catted pipes.

Keep the stock cat back section of the exhaust, it flows pretty good and it will keep the car quiet and under the radar.

If your looking for more weight reduction, focus on the front end. The cruze is a total pig, but its mostly on the front end. A great mod that is often over looked is a light weight race battery, it can drop 30 lbs off the front end where it counts!

Tires are really one of the most important things in autoX but if you go too aggressive it will bump you up in class... Since you mentioned BFG tires, i personally like their KDW's (I have them on my 240) for a good compromise between street and track. If you want a more serious BFG tire that is summer only and shouldn't bump you into the race tire class look at the KD's, they're awesome tires!

To get the most out of the car you're going to want coilovers, just remember you get what you pay for....

Hope this helps, and i'm speaking from experience here...

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. Will a tune bump u up in class or does that not matter as much? Jw I wanna get the select a tune with the 20-21 psi set up. Any thoughts or suggestions on a nice light set of racing rims, preferably volk racing rims?(in the bronze color...I think that would look pretty good with the victory red paint)

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All great info, thanks guys. I definetly have the race battery already on my list of goodies. I also plan on tracking my car in the near future, probably do a little auto xing to get a good feel for the car and handling practice

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Thanks for the help. Will a tune bump u up in class or does that not matter as much? Jw I wanna get the select a tune with the 20-21 psi set up. Any thoughts or suggestions on a nice light set of racing rims, preferably volk racing rims?(in the bronze color...I think that would look pretty good with the victory red paint)
A tune is absolutely essential to ever see any power gains, can't say for sure about the class. Good luck finding Volks that will bolt on without adapters but there are plenty of companies out there that make custom race wheels in and bolt pattern imaginable.

R compound tires will be the best mod you will ever do almost drops you 2 seconds. FWD learn how to let of throttle then get right back into it to regain grip R compound tires will help with that.
Autocross R Compound on Tire Rack

Then all the chassis reinforcement you can handle then coil-overs. Autocross isn't always about hp its about connection to the pavement.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/95-racing-events/12575-what-autocross.html
R compound tire will bump you into a class that will probably be out of your league.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
A tune is absolutely essential to ever see any power gains, can't say for sure about the class. Good luck finding Volks that will bolt on without adapters but there are plenty of companies out there that make custom race wheels in and bolt pattern imaginable.

R compound tire will bump you into a class that will probably be out of your league.
They have classes that are novice as long as you use the specific tire.
Here are SCCA rules.
http://www.scca.com/solo/content.cfm?cid=44517

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

Reactions: Skilz10179

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
The problem with the tune for autocrossing is.. yes it bumps you up in power and torque and 20+ psi and all that good stuff. However, I don't think you would want that while auto-crossing for extended periods of time. It just seems like a bad idea... The turbo is the limitation in this car as far as power. Most people enjoying that extra boost use it day to day for very short periods or for 16 seconds tops at the quarter mile.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
I haven't autocrossed with my tune yet but Poje laps with his tune but any performance parts you add to your car will bump you up classes so start out stock and work your way up thats what I did.

Sent From An Antique,
My Original Droid.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.