Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so I'm in the process of removing my left Fender. Most of it is pretty straight forward... except for the piece of trim between the A-Pillar(exterior) and the fender itself. There appears to be 2 or 3 plastic clips because this piece was spared from damage I'd pike to know how in the **** to properly remove it

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
That black triangular piece right in front of the rear view mirror? How did you manage this with a string. Only had 2K miles on our new Cruze when a deer ran into the fender, Bodyshop manager, a good friend told me while they could pry out that piece, the three clips were broken.

And GM wanted more money for those three clips than buying a brand new piece with the three new clips on it! Says he has to explain this extra expense to the insurance company.

Ha, finally looked it up, $3.77 for that plastic trim piece with the clips, clips alone are $4.20.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That black triangular piece right in front of the rear view mirror? How did you manage this with a string. Only had 2K miles on our new Cruze when a deer ran into the fender, Bodyshop manager, a good friend told me while they could pry out that piece, the three clips were broken.

And GM wanted more money for those three clips than buying a brand new piece with the three new clips on it! Says he has to explain this extra expense to the insurance company.

Ha, finally looked it up, $3.77 for that plastic trim piece with the clips, clips alone are $4.20.

I placed the string behind the front corner, that clip I could see would be removed by pulling up on the string, next I removed the bottom reach clip by rotating the trim piece slightly counter clockwise and pulling on the string towards the rear of the car, after that just pull up on the trim to release the top rear clip

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Now you have me wondering if I could use a string somehow to remove my lower rear seat cushion. So far I have talked to four different Chevy bodyshops, because they can't remove that rear seat without breaking those plastic clips.

Something like 40 bucks for two new plastic clips. Also the mechanics fight each other not to have to do this job, because they can injure their backs by trying. Oh, but they snap together so easy.

Took this photo at my Chevy dealers bodyshop. Asked if I could have it to study it, friend said no, had to show it to the insurance company so he could get compensated.

View attachment 181033 View attachment 181041

·
Registered
543 Posts

This is interesting and useful information. I'd of never thought that assembly was cheaper than one clip. I've broken clips on this piece on every one of the three I've removed. It does seem that if GM's going to be in the clip and fastener business, they want huge markups. Most of the clips, screws, and push pins I've priced for the Cruze are in the $4-$5 each list price range. I've been buying aftermarket equivalents on ebay 100/$10 delivered.

·
Registered
543 Posts
BTW I'd put some tape on the A-pillar near the fender. The fender is sharp on the backside and will easily scratch the A-pillar paint.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Very aware of that $4.56 price tag for just one push pin rivet at my friendly Chevrolet dealer.

Ha, walk in there with my hands extended to the sky.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does anyone know the part number or name for that part. I replaced my fender this weekend and broke those three fasteners. Now the piece is completely loose. Also, is there a trick to installing it? I couldn't figure it out so I just pushed on it until it broke lol

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,167 Posts
Does anyone know the part number or name for that part. I replaced my fender this weekend and broke those three fasteners. Now the piece is completely loose. Also, is there a trick to installing it? I couldn't figure it out so I just pushed on it until it broke lol
The little white things in this picture of the backside of what GM calls an APPLIQUE, Front Door Window Reveal seem to be impossible to get by themselves for some reason.
This is what I think it is: 94530742
:

Right Front Door Mirror Molding Triangle Cover for Chevrolet Cruze 2009-2014 | eBay

·
Administrator
12,167 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Perfect! Thanks you so much! The Cruze looks so much better with the new fender and light, but I have to take that corner trim piece out when I drive bc it isn't attached at all. I can't wait to get it installed.

I did the whole fender replacement myself. It wasn't too bad since I used one of those auto trim removal kits from Amazon for most of the clips. Unfortunately it didn't really work for these clips holding this piece in. I guess this piece is like disposable if you remove it 😝

I put new brake rotors and pads on while I was waiting for the clear coat to dry and I think I overdid it this weekend. I'm wiped out today!
Not bad for my first time doing this type of thing if I may say so myself. This morning I ordered new tires from Costco too so hopefully will get them on later this week!

·
Administrator
12,167 Posts
Perfect! Thanks you so much! The Cruze looks so much better with the new fender and light, but I have to take that corner trim piece out when I drive bc it isn't attached at all. I can't wait to get it installed.

I did the whole fender replacement myself. It wasn't too bad since I used one of those auto trim removal kits from Amazon for most of the clips. Unfortunately it didn't really work for these clips holding this piece in. I guess this piece is like disposable if you remove it 😝

I put new brake rotors and pads on while I was waiting for the clear coat to dry and I think I overdid it this weekend. I'm wiped out today!
Not bad for my first time doing this type of thing if I may say so myself. This morning I ordered new tires from Costco too so hopefully will get them on later this week!
So far so good. Looks like you need a front fascia still. Try MBI Auto: CHEVROLET CRUZE / CRUZE LIMITED FRONT BUMPER COVER PRIMED (WO/LTZ RS PKG) OEM#94525910 2015-2016

As for the appliques clips, there is a trick to them, but even if you are able to pull it off, usually at least one clip breaks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks again for the help! I ordered the applique and the little yellow light that got busted in the bumper and the new bumper cover came yesterday!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well I got new tires last week, and even though they are the size listed in the inside of the door they are noticably bigger than the old ones and we're rubbing the wheel well.

I pried the bumper back and it turns out a metal support bracket was pushed back and creased and was pushing the plastic housing for what I was told was part of the air regulator or something like that into the wheel well. Long story short I took it to a body shop and for $200 they pulled it out so the tire stopped rubbing.

I received the applique and the yellow bumper light but need to get the paint.

GM uses the same paint code (WA8624) for two colors, Summit White and Olympic White. I ordered 6 cans of that code from a company on eBay but they are Olympic and like a yellow, cream color that isn't even close. So today I'm going to go to Walmart and get some Rust-Oleum white gloss and try that. I'll redo the fender paint and part of the door that got scratched against the fender when I would open it. Hopefully the paint blends pretty good.

That's where I'm at now lol. More to come soon.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.