Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much usable fuel is in the CRUZE before the low fuel light comes on? I was told 12.9 Gallons but my car took 12.3. Gallons of 89. Also is it fair that Safeway charges you 10 cents more per gallon to use a Credit vs Debt card? It does not cost the merchant this amount?

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
For what it's worth, Valero stations around me do the 10 cent price hike, or 10 decrease when using cash vs credit. However it's only Shell for my Cruze.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
It must very with for every model year cruze, as my 2012 1LT automatic low fuel warning has always went off right at 13.1 gallons burned of the 15.6gallon tank.

This is based on the 3 times I have taken the tank that low, the first time the warning light went off right at the pump. The other two times I needed more than 13.1 gallons but had drove around 20 miles past the low fuel warning.

$2.65? do you mean $3.65? thats the going rate for 89 mid-grade around here.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I used to work in credit cards and while it is illegal for merchants to pass on the fee that they have to pay to the credit company (Visa, MC, Amex, Discover) to the consumer, there is a clause that allows gas stations to do this (don't ask me why, I just assumed $2B in subsidies was enough). But basically they charge you extra because they charge a percentage of the total charge to the merchant for being able to accept their credit cards. Debit cards are different since the funds are readily available and the charge does not go to Visa or whomever, it then becomes strictly between the financial institution and the merchant.

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
For what it's worth, Valero stations around me do the 10 cent price hike, or 10 decrease when using cash vs credit. However it's only Shell for my Cruze.
That is why I always avoided Valero and that included when they issued me a Charge Card. I never used it and then they took it away? For the first time ever I accumulated a $1 off a gallon reward, thus the $2.65. Not only is 93 not available here, the price between 87 & 91 is 40 cents a gallon so I thought I would cheap out with 89!

·
Registered
339 Posts
I do a lot of my food/meat shopping at Redners.. every $100 gets you 10cents off a gallon. Their gas is typically 7 cents more than others.. but with a family of 5.. I usually get 30 cents off a gallon there. Last week I filled it at 3.35/gallon. I was quite happy :)

·
Registered
53 Posts
Right now gas is at $3.19 for 87 here.I filled up the 1 LT with Shell yesterday at $3.15 using the 10C off Kroger discount.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,320 Posts
Last time my fuel light came on, right as I pulled into the gas station, my 1LT took 12.8 gallons.

Boo, I want cheap fuel. I passed through southern VA 2 weeks ago and 93 octane was $3.39 (it's $3.89-3.99 here).

·
Premium Member
5,639 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How far can you get once the light pops on? It seems that once the light is on you are right at the 12.9 max. Is it possible to use some of the 'spare' two gallons or would the pump fry?

I also wanted to say I never had got a Dollar off a Gallon but Safeway was running a club special, buy $50 in Groceries and save 40 cents a gallon. Normally it takes $400. It was my lucky fill up!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Last time my fuel light came on, right as I pulled into the gas station, my 1LT took 12.8 gallons.

Boo, I want cheap fuel. I passed through southern VA 2 weeks ago and 93 octane was $3.39 (it's $3.89-3.99 here).

It's 4.27 for 93 here in DA UP eh.

·
Registered
24 Posts
How much usable fuel is in the CRUZE before the low fuel light comes on? I was told 12.9 Gallons but my car took 12.3. Gallons of 89. Also is it fair that Safeway charges you 10 cents more per gallon to use a Credit vs Debt card? It does not cost the merchant this amount?
50 miles or 80km fuel light will come on based on your driving conditions not how much fuel is actually left in the car

·
10,713 Posts
Valero is the only place I seen do that here but all of NJ has the cash vs credit prices for gas. I remember Texas kinda doing that when everyone left Louisiana and came to our area during Katrina.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Low fuel lamp has nothing to do with how much fuel you have used, but how much fuel you have left. Uses a thermistor at the end of a rod that gets hot lowering resistance when the fuel drops below its level. And in the Cruze, very close to two gallons left. But this is when the light first comes on. If you keep on driving, will be less than 2 gallons.

But with low fuel, the fuel pump also gets hot, so as far as I am concerned, until they get rid of this POS fuel pump and go to a higher quality air cooled external pump, 85 Honda Accord SEI had one of these, and was easy to change. But because it had a couple of extra bucks of quality in it, never did go bad, even well after 250K miles of driving. Anything close to a quarter tank of fuel left as far as I am concerned is an empty tank.

Yet another huge variable is the gas pump itself with automatic shut off. Hit some stations where the shut off doesn't work at all where others will click off after a couple of gallons are put in. Like to see the level of the fuel with my own eyes to know its full.

Also keep an eye on the fuel used. Really quite accurate if you are topping off with 3/4's of fuel left off in the tank on a hot afternoon when the fuel in the tank is warm and expands. But not so accurate with a 1/4 full tank on a cold morning. Like 10% off. Also depends on how deep you insert the nozzle.

Credit cards? Just about every store or gas station has their own cards for an extra discount. But the more cards you have the lower will be your credit rating.

Their game is simple, they hope and pray you are a second late so they can hit you with a stiff late payment, or better yet, use their low monthly payments to hit you with over 20% compounded each second for interest payments. Wife has a bunch of these and does get good bargains. But get email warnings even before the bill comes in the mail and do an electronic transfer to pay them off. Can check these a day later with a receipt in my checking account. So are saving money. Even carry a laptop with me when we are away.

Yeah, our credit number is a bit lower, but who cares, as long as we are saving money. Cards that only give a 10% discount the first time you use those, I cancel. Its all a big game with these guys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts