Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've made the same trip 3 times since I bought the car. Once in May, once in Sept and today.

I've used 91 octane exclusively since buying the car. I filled up this morning with regular because of ridiculous gas prices are.

My average for this 4 hour trip the first two times was both 36mpg with premium.

Today with 87, same trip was over 41mpg. I've tried to debunk it with AC being on or break-in of the engine but it's 5mpg.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Administrator
15,743 Posts
I've made the same trip 3 times since I bought the car. Once in May, once in Sept and today.

I've used 91 octane exclusively since buying the car. I filled up this morning with regular because of ridiculous gas prices are.

My average for this 4 hour trip the first two times was both 36mpg with premium.

Today with 87, same trip was over 41mpg. I've tried to debunk it with AC being on or break-in of the engine but it's 5mpg.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Same exact gas station?

I've never seen fuel economy drop from using a higher octane fuel. When were the first two times you made this trip? Any wind? Something else went on here. 5mpg is a huge difference.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
It must be the weather. With 87octane & 89 octane I have never got better than 38mpg on any long trip, on premium on those same trips I always get above 40mpg, usually around 42mpg.

This weekend I took one of those same trips after filling up with 89octane & got 44.2MPG!

EDIT: I always try to fill up at kwik trip(Top Tier gas) & 99% of the time its the same station.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Filled up with 89 octane ethanol free and got the worse gas mileage ever, normally average 39 mph combined city and highway driving. With 89, dropped down to 31 mpg.

With a 155 different blends of gas, pipeline traffic jams, really don't know what I am getting, then the guy that fills the gas station tanks. And wonder if ethanol free means if the gas is free of ethanol or if they are giving it to me for free.

So for the most consistent high quality gas is from a small town Mobil station on the way to my granddaughter's home, have to visit her more often.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts