Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. Changed my trans oil after 51000 miles and was shocked to see the color. My friend who is a performance shop owner and GM tuning god said sell the car when he saw it. I baby the car and do 80% highway and fit the normal service interval group. I have a video of me pouring the old fluid but this looks terrible. I changed it once and then a second time after driving around a little. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
It is my understanding that GM put a corrosion inhibitor in with the transmission fluid and it is what causes the darker color. Case in point. I checked our 2012 Cruzes fluid at 5k miles and it was dark, not the normal pink color.

To me the best thing to do is drain and fill 4 times to get most of the old fluid out and put in some quality synthetic like AMSOIL's ATL.

The dealer here told me that it would cost me $95 labor to exchange all the fluid out of my Cruze TD's transmission if I provided the 16qts of fluid. I'm going to have it done once I can get away from work this summer. Since it is a little more work to do than our 2012 Cruzes transmission, (which I have changed out 4 times now and it has 25k on it) I feel having the dealer do it will be the best route. They even told me that the only person that will touch my Cruze is their transmission tech to exchange the fluid.

·
Premium Member
6,918 Posts
I know this is why I will be changing my fluid every 15k miles just because I can't change filter
Even if your driving 100% city 15K trans fluid change would be overkill. The lowest mileage I would consider trans service is around 25-30K mileage. Owners manual severe service is listed at 42K, 97K for normal service, what that says is GM only requires one trans service to maintain your 100K powertrain warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts