Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got the loud cooling fan fixed. Fan would come on every 30 seconds at high speed. Low and med speeds were not working at all. Here’s a photo of what they did after the first visit, paid for a diagnosis because that’s what I had to do so they could fix it.

Font Paper Paper product Document Number

Font Paper Gas Document Parallel

They told me I have a hole in the muffler (separate issue) and gave me a new water pump which I knew wasn’t the issue because I had the water pump replaced within the last month. But I figured what the hell, let me give me a new one since it’s all covered under my extended warranty haha. They gave me the car back and before I even drove off the lot I turned it right on and within 30 seconds, boom fan kicks right back on again. I pulled right back in. Now I have to argue with the receptionist and tech at the dealership because she said “her car did the same thing so it’s normal operation” I told her no its not your car was broken too lol. So then I said, this is a Chevy dealer show me a Cruze with this issue and she said we have tech’s working on 2 in the back come back in an hour (in an attempt to shoo me off like I wouldn’t come back). I got lunch and came back and she said we still don’t have the car put together, then she told me the fan wasn’t covered under warranty. So I’m like ok give me a print out of all the part numbers and an estimate. She did and I went home and scheduled another appointment.
By this time I knew I wasn’t going to pay for ****, so I called up my extended warranty and asked if the fan was covered and wouldn’t ya know yes it was. I got on YouTube and found a working fan as well as the exact temperature it’s supposed to kick on high at I believe 217° but it stays on low at all times I believe. I called up Chevy and basically Chevy did a formal investigation and must’ve lit fire under their ass. I went back for my new scheduled appointment and here’s the diagnosis they did properly and more detailed this time

Font Paper Paper product Monochrome Document

Font Material property Parallel Handwriting Paper

Font Material property Parallel Tints and shades Paper product

As you can see they found a faulty resistor like I explained to them and they replaced the fan assembly. Such a shame that I actually needed to do all this. I would have done it myself but it’s alot of work that I didn’t wanna do. And I’m even more baffled that the tech fed me that BS that it’s normal “because their cars did the same thing”. Car is quiet and I never hear the fan at all, it’s actually so quiet I had to open the hood to verify it was spinning. And that they didn’t just unplug the old one. Funny how my car was still leaking coolant too after a brand new water pump. First tech needs to get a new job.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,156 Posts
As you can see they found a faulty resistor like I explained to them and they replaced the fan assembly.
Yup, the resistor isn't an available replacement part.
my car was still leaking coolant too
Water pumps are so EASY to replace on our cars, but people rush through it and mess it up. :rolleyes:
I would have loved to look over this guys shoulder while he worked.

I’m even more baffled that the tech fed me that BS that it’s normal “because their cars did the same thing”
I'd bet $1000 bucks straight up I could walk into a Chevy dealership and half the techs wouldn't know the specifics of the Cruze cooling system. Two sensors, a 3 speed fan, electronic thermostat, a water pump, a radiator...too much to know. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yup, the resistor isn't an available replacement part.

Water pumps are so EASY to replace on our cars, but people rush through it and mess it up. :rolleyes:
I would have loved to look over this guys shoulder while he worked.

I'd bet $1000 bucks straight up I could walk into a Chevy dealership and half the techs wouldn't know the specifics of the Cruze cooling system. Two sensors, a 3 speed fan, electronic thermostat, a water pump, a radiator...too much to know. :ROFLMAO:
The Cruze i looked at before I bought the one I have had that fan issue. Except every like 7 seconds it would turn on for like 4 seconds. It was very annoying. Constant. At the time, i read it was a common issue. But it can be fixed. And the dealership guys said it was normal lol. Kinda glad we said no and the next day we bought mine at a different dealership.

·
The Nuclear Option
5,769 Posts
I finally got the loud cooling fan fixed. Fan would come on every 30 seconds at high speed. Low and med speeds were not working at all. Here’s a photo of what they did after the first visit, paid for a diagnosis because that’s what I had to do so they could fix it.

View attachment 299598
View attachment 299599

They told me I have a hole in the muffler (separate issue) and gave me a new water pump which I knew wasn’t the issue because I had the water pump replaced within the last month. But I figured what the hell, let me give me a new one since it’s all covered under my extended warranty haha. They gave me the car back and before I even drove off the lot I turned it right on and within 30 seconds, boom fan kicks right back on again. I pulled right back in. Now I have to argue with the receptionist and tech at the dealership because she said “her car did the same thing so it’s normal operation” I told her no its not your car was broken too lol. So then I said, this is a Chevy dealer show me a Cruze with this issue and she said we have tech’s working on 2 in the back come back in an hour (in an attempt to shoo me off like I wouldn’t come back). I got lunch and came back and she said we still don’t have the car put together, then she told me the fan wasn’t covered under warranty. So I’m like ok give me a print out of all the part numbers and an estimate. She did and I went home and scheduled another appointment.
By this time I knew I wasn’t going to pay for ****, so I called up my extended warranty and asked if the fan was covered and wouldn’t ya know yes it was. I got on YouTube and found a working fan as well as the exact temperature it’s supposed to kick on high at I believe 217° but it stays on low at all times I believe. I called up Chevy and basically Chevy did a formal investigation and must’ve lit fire under their ass. I went back for my new scheduled appointment and here’s the diagnosis they did properly and more detailed this time

View attachment 299602
View attachment 299601
View attachment 299603

As you can see they found a faulty resistor like I explained to them and they replaced the fan assembly. Such a shame that I actually needed to do all this. I would have done it myself but it’s alot of work that I didn’t wanna do. And I’m even more baffled that the tech fed me that BS that it’s normal “because their cars did the same thing”. Car is quiet and I never hear the fan at all, it’s actually so quiet I had to open the hood to verify it was spinning. And that they didn’t just unplug the old one. Funny how my car was still leaking coolant too after a brand new water pump. First tech needs to get a new job.
This is exactly why I do my own diagnosis and repairs. Good job on doing some of the legwork for them.

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,156 Posts
the dealership guys said it was normal
Here comes another truth bomb. :censored::ROFLMAO:
OBD was mandated by the government to help techs repair vehicles, IMHO one of the few things a government mandate didn't mess up. Fast forward 25 years to a new generation of techs that are absolutely paralyzed without a flipping OBD code.
A Cruze that ONLY has a bad fan resistor will run just fine, no codes no problem. ;)(n)

·
Registered
702 Posts
Would be interesting to know the specs on that resistor.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The Cruze i looked at before I bought the one I have had that fan issue. Except every like 7 seconds it would turn on for like 4 seconds. It was very annoying. Constant. At the time, i read it was a common issue. But it can be fixed. And the dealership guys said it was normal lol. Kinda glad we said no and the next day we bought mine at a different dealership.
That was my exact problem, about every 7 seconds. It was unbearable and the car was sold to me like that of course with a significant discount because I wrote it off as just something cosmetic and not important but over time, something as simple as idling in a drive thru was a bit embarrassing as it would just be obnoxiously loud.

Here comes another truth bomb. :censored::ROFLMAO:
OBD was mandated by the government to help techs repair vehicles, IMHO one of the few things a government mandate didn't mess up. Fast forward 25 years to a new generation of techs that are absolutely paralyzed without a flipping OBD code.
A Cruze that ONLY has a bad fan resistor will run just fine, no codes no problem. ;)(n)
You hit the nail on the head. I’m glad the second tech actually took voltage and he probably tried to enable it manually via OBD. A simple YouTube video could have showed him with enough digging. That’s how I found out. Luckily my car didn’t actually overheat. The receptionist tried to say it wasn’t broken because there’s no code so in turn the warranty wouldn’t cover it. That’s when I got corporate involved.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,806 Posts
For future reference, the fan kicks on to high speed for engine cooling somewhere around 232-235F in normal circumstances. It’s common to hear it switch to high after the car has been shut off and restarted on a hot day and it’s heat soaked a bit - I see this more often from my Gen 2 than my Gen 1 did, but it surprised me on the Gen 1 a couple times. That thing really does roar.

It should run constantly on low or medium depending on high side ac pressure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts