Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the coolant outlet and coolant return hose assembly and I was still losing coolant. I found coolant puddled on top of my transmission but saw no other evidence on any hose and the coolant outlet was dry. Pretty puzzling. That is until today. I just came back from a drive and popped the hood and wanted to see if I could see any coolant dripping under pressure. Well, I did. I found a nice stream pissing from the expansion tank. I released a bit of pressure from the tank and it stopped.

https://youtu.be/jAG8deFh2hQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
635 Posts
I had the same issue in my 2011cruze 1.4t in november of 2015, I was told there was a recall for the reservoir tanks because they'd crack, I got the tanks and reservoir hose replaced for free

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
That's a stress fracture. This tank isn't supposed to be under any such stresses.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a stress fracture. This tank isn't supposed to be under any such stresses.
I'm at a loss as to how that would happen. I've only touched that tank to fill it.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I wonder if your tank had a flaw there and the lateral pressure from the coolant hose caused the tank to flex slightly, leading to a failure over time.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wonder if your tank had a flaw there and the lateral pressure from the coolant hose caused the tank to flex slightly, leading to a failure over time.
Very possible. The car has 120k miles on it. Could have been a flaw or just got brittle and gave up the ghost.

I just hope that's the end of my coolant issues for a while. Still running the original water pump and thermostat, though.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
That's the fun part about coolant leaks - being under pressure, where it pools may not be where it's leaking from. I've seen plastic tanks on a radiator doing the same thing.

Reactions: Qball
1 - 8 of 8 Posts