Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

FINALLY! Just a key!

Tags
finally key
9K views 17 replies 9 participants last post by  AaronDavis 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has already been written about or figured out but I searched and never found anything so I figured it out myself.

As most of us know, Chevy has a recall on every vehicle being manufactured right now. One of the recalls is for the Camaro ignition key, people claim to have hit it with there knee and cut the vehicle off.... blah blah blah. I am a technician at a local Chevy dealer and got the idea during one of the recalls. I wanted a spare key that wasn't over $100 and I wouldn't be too concerned with leaving in a hide-a-key. I searched around for aftermarket and had no luck. The replacement key that is ordered for the Camaro works in our Cruzes.

The part number is 23257727. It comes in a pack with 2 keys that are coded. You will need your ID and registration or title so they can look up the key code. That was all I did, they came in about 3 days later.

Once you get them, they must be programmed. Start the vehicle with the original key, remove it and start it with the new key. Then do it again with the other key. It worked great for me.

As stated, sorry if this has already been figured out; but I was excited to share.

Aaron

See less See more
#2 ·
You have been a member since 2013 and this is your 2nd Post . Great Posting along with the idea for just a key !

Reactions: Merc6
#4 ·
And this is very useful. Thank you.

#11 · (Edited)
I checked the GM Parts websites and they have it for $44, uncut, and it says list price is $74.

Stewart Chevrolet in Colma, California wants $97 for this part number, uncut. They said there would be an additional charge for cutting, and an additional $100 charge just to look up my key code in the computer. So it would be over $200 total. Obviously Stewart Chevrolet is overcharging.

#12 ·
Searching through the forums, I saw a post that said the key code is located on the black plastic tags that came with my keys when I bought the car. They have a bar code and a number that is something like Zxxxx. Can anyone confirm that this is true? If it is, then I will memorize the key code in case I ever need it.

#14 ·
Yes the code that starts with Z is the key code. Also, the part number I provided is the part number for thee coded key. Here's the parts information from the recall.

Note:
Either a coded key assembly kit or uncoded key assembly kit is required for the repair. Normal ordering methods should be followed. SPAC cases will not be honored for these parts.

Part NumberDescriptionQuantity/Vehicle
23257727Key Assembly Kit (Coded)1
23257735Key Assembly Kit (Uncoded)1

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.