Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Looks like I might hit 300 miles BEFORE the needle gets to the half tank mark this time...never seen that before. DIC currently estimating 44.3mpg....never had this high of an estimate this close to a half tank either. Maybe the re-gap is coming thru!
Did a little trip today very similar to your results. I filled up at half tank with 314.2miles on the car, 7.56gallons = 41.56MPG. DIC read 44.4mpg. My route was mostly highway with 1/3 with cruise set at 64mph interstate, 55-62mph two lane highways & tons of small towns. there was also a section of 30+ miles of 45-50mph roads. Range indicated if I kept driving at the same rate I could go 330+ more miles.

My car is also an automatic(1LT RS). Maybe this is coincidence but looking at the numbers on FUELLY.COM it seems the RS cruze ground effects have some aerodynamic benefits, most of the RS cars seem to get better MPG than the normal non-eco cruzes.

·
Super Moderator
5,263 Posts
I am taking my LS up to Chicago next week. First road trip since tune and re gap spark plugs After I fill up and head out to the highway, I see the instant MPG go up to @40 + then reality sets in and after a week I am down to @28. I want to see what it does on a trip tho.
The tank estimation is @450+.

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Maybe this is coincidence but looking at the numbers on FUELLY.COM it seems the RS cruze ground effects have some aerodynamic benefits, most of the RS cars seem to get better MPG than the normal non-eco cruzes.
Now that's a thought I don't think I've seen considered here.....maybe the RS does help with aerodynamics...

That said, coincidence or not, I set a new record with this morning's fill-up...first fill-up with a full-tank re-gap on the plugs (to 0.035").

Went 540 miles on a tank and re-filled with 13.256 gallons = 40.73mpg...trumps my old record (previous tank) of 40.3 by about .5mpg.
This, mind you, I will admit is with NO A/C whatsoever....
This thing goes so far between fill-ups....the temperature was in the mid-upper 80's when I filled up...so I suffered thru the past week of 100+ degree highs,
just to see what the MPG would be! LOL! Well, the A/C comes on today, so I'll get a feel for what effect the A/C will have on my mpg's.

BTW, when I filled up this morning, the DIC was estimating a range of 700 miles! That was a first too...

Reactions: Starks8

·
Premium Member
6,915 Posts
Now that's a thought I don't think I've seen considered here.....maybe the RS does help with aerodynamics...
Take a look at the 2013 Malibu Eco, the front end looks very similar to the rs package cruze. The malibu eco is designed with [FONT=arial, sans-serif]low drag coefficient for MPG. I Think this is pretty good confirmation(besides seeing higher MPG numbers with RS package cars on fuelly.com) that the RS package has some aerodynamic advantage over non eco cruzes.

[/FONT]

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'm a little hesitant to pass much judgement on the re-gap at this point...the re-gap may have helpt to the tune of 0.5-0.6mpg or so...not sure yet. Since I gotta start running the A/C, we may never know!

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
I'm a little hesitant to pass much judgement on the re-gap at this point...the re-gap may have helpt to the tune of 0.5-0.6mpg or so...not sure yet. Since I gotta start running the A/C, we may never know!
CoughGETATUNECough LOL. It's next.. you might get... 42 MPG!

LOL Yeah, sweating for MPG is just not for me. Though admittedly I don't use A/C if it is a short in town trip I just do windows down. But when you get on the highway, its best to just close the windows and get comfortable. I keep mine at 72-74 when its on.. not too outrageous. My DIC reads 40+ on the highway with A/C at 55 mph CC turned on!

But for comparison gman, my commute is official now since I started my new gig. I drive 17 miles to work, about 13 are on a 55 mph highway and at 6:30 AM I can set the cruise control at the speed limit. When my tank is fresh, I get DIC values of 38+. The killer is for my job I have to make numerous short trips during the day (all less than 5 miles) which drags it down.. but im still getting ~32 MPG per tank! So now you have to get the tune so we can compare!

·
Super Moderator
5,263 Posts
Congrats I'd love to do that but I have a LS and it has been miserably hot in Cinti so need to use the AC. I soul dlove to drive @60 MPH for an extended period of time and see how high it gets but with our roads in Cinti, it is quite impossible unless you want to get run over and I am not that patient!

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
CoughGETATUNECough LOL. It's next.. you might get... 42 MPG!

LOL Yeah, sweating for MPG is just not for me. Though admittedly I don't use A/C if it is a short in town trip I just do windows down. But when you get on the highway, its best to just close the windows and get comfortable. I keep mine at 72-74 when its on.. not too outrageous. My DIC reads 40+ on the highway with A/C at 55 mph CC turned on!

But for comparison gman, my commute is official now since I started my new gig. I drive 17 miles to work, about 13 are on a 55 mph highway and at 6:30 AM I can set the cruise control at the speed limit. When my tank is fresh, I get DIC values of 38+. The killer is for my job I have to make numerous short trips during the day (all less than 5 miles) which drags it down.. but im still getting ~32 MPG per tank! So now you have to get the tune so we can compare!
Well the AC does have quite an effect on the mpg...along with some more town driving...much like your short <5 mile hops!
I'm fortunate enough that I can stay parked from the time I arrive until I get ready to leave. My current tank, I'm going to
try an alternate route to and from work...it will add 3/4 mile to my commute each way, but will keep me off the interstate, so we'll see.

Looking at my previous 5 tanks:
38.8, 38.84, 40.34, 39.04, 40.74 mpg's respectively. All commute with no AC and a calculated 60% city/40% highway split.

My latest tank:
36.05mpg running AC on commute home from work about half the days, and more town driving at a 72% city/28% highway split.

As far as the tune...my plan is to get it in August at my one year anniversary of taking delivery of my Cruze.
Break in will be well behind me and I'll have a year of data to start comparing to..

Should I install the intake (K&N) at the same time as the tune?? I like to change things step by step...too many changes and any
resultant effects are hard correlate to said change(s)...

Guess we'll see next month! Maybe there'll be some specials out there!

·
FI Lunatic
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Latest tank:
566 miles, low fuel warning on at 560 miles.
DIC estimate = 45.1mpg
Average Speed = 34.5mph
Calculated MPG = 41.15mpg

No A/C this tank.

·
Registered
154 Posts
those are fantastic numbers, thanks for keeping us up to date :D

·
Premium Member
4,339 Posts
HINT - since both you and the DIC use the same MILES-number at each tank-fillup to calculate MPG, all you really need to compare are the two GALLONS-used values: (1) the GALS calculated by DIC (ususally 5-10% optimistic) and (2) the GALS that you actually pumped into the tank(*).

Tracking & comparing these two numbers gives you an excellent idea of how much "off" the DIC-computed value is...and, seemingly, that error is lowest with manul ECO models and highest with automatic non-ECO models.

(*) - eventually, the "Law of Large Numbers" will overcome and "smooth" your slight ± (over/under) tank-fillings, especially if you use the "one-click" fillup method.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.