Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2014 Chevy Cruze Getting MPG Boost | AutoGuide.com News

All Cruze models are adopting some of the fuel-saving tidbits that are at work on the Cruze Eco, specifically, underbody panels that make the car more aerodynamic.

Currently the Cruze Eco achieves an EPA rated 33 mpg combined, while the similarly equipped standard Cruze gets 30 mpg combined. At the low end, the 1.8-liter equipped automatic transmission Cruze only gets 27 mpg combined, which we expect will slightly improve when the EPA releases its 2014 ratings.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You mean this was actually a good idea?
Yes.

Make up your mind, put them on, hack them off, put them on................
You're confusing the aero panels on the ECO with the engine shield. The engine shield was hacked away (also hacked on the Volts - I looked). The panels GM is talking about here run from just behind the engine bay to the rear axle. There is one on each side of the exhaust. What they do is provide a smooth cover over the various parts that hang down under a car, which translates into a smoother air flow under the car. They have a nice side effect of making the car nearly impossible to high center in snow because they act like flat bottomed sleds sliding over deep snow.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,317 Posts
Hey, thanks Chevy...about time.

I wonder if the aero panels will fit on the non-ECO models just fine. They are something I'd like to have, and I'm sure they do more for the gas mileage than the shutters or tires.

·
Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,233 Posts
Wonder if these 2014 Cruze underpanels will easily retrofit to a 2012 Cruze LS or LT? Every little bit helps when it comes to smoothing airflow, managing parasitic drag and increasing overall fuel efficiency.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
Wonder if these 2014 Cruze underpanels will easily retrofit to a 2012 Cruze LS or LT? Every little bit helps when it comes to smoothing airflow, managing parasitic drag and increasing overall fuel efficiency.
You can add the underbody panels off of a 2011-2012 Cruze ECO

·
Registered
467 Posts
I hope people aren't going to expect the same MPG with just a few aero changes. Yes it will help, but the success of the ECO (specificaly the MTs) is the aero+weight+gears.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Good for GM to finally fit all the cars with better under-car aerodynamic pieces. I hope they have something up their sleeves for the Eco MT also. Say, some full-grille movable shutters...

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
This is smart on GM's part - wonder what the price increase will be. Regardless, GM needs to meet fuel economy objectives and this will help a little.
but the success of the ECO (specificaly the MTs) is the aero+weight+gears.
If I recall, some of the 2012 Cruzes received taller gearing to nudge up the mileage.

·
17,317 Posts
This is smart on GM's part - wonder what the price increase will be. Regardless, GM needs to meet fuel economy objectives and this will help a little. If I recall, some of the 2012 Cruzes received taller gearing to nudge up the mileage.
Automatics did.

Wonder if we'll see direct injection deployed in the 2015. That's good for another couple MPG too.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Monsieur Charmant Résident
1,233 Posts
Some of the 2012 Cruzes received taller gearing to nudge up the mileage.
I get an honest 45 mpg (US) at 55-60 mph during steady-state motoring in my 2012 Cruze LS with 6MT (German engine, Austrian transmission).

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
I hope people aren't going to expect the same MPG with just a few aero changes. Yes it will help, but the success of the ECO (specificaly the MTs) is the aero+weight+gears.
You mean aero + gears. Drag is reduced a full 10% off the Eco's areo changes. The 150 lb weight difference on a 3000 lb car doesn't mean jack on the highway.. at all.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't seen any 2014 Cruzen, including diesels, or Volts to check.

·
17,317 Posts
The 2013's is much neater (made the way from the factory)...but still missing those middle sections around the drain plug/transmission.

·
Premium Member
2,822 Posts
The 150 lb weight difference on a 3000 lb car doesn't mean jack on the highway..
True-less weight does improve city (stop and start) mileage.

·
Registered
467 Posts
You mean aero + gears. Drag is reduced a full 10% off the Eco's areo changes. The 150 lb weight difference on a 3000 lb car doesn't mean jack on the highway.. at all.
True, but the point being that the Eco does well due to a combination of differences, not just aero. Many people may not understand this. As many of us know, the buying public as a whole is uninformed, and easy prey to a car salesman.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts