Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

Just a quick question. I have a 2017 Chevy Cruze Hatchback LT RS. I noticed that apparently I have the ability to upgrade the firmware for mylink via a USB stick. However, no where have I been able to find where online to go to find the updates to download to put on the USB Stick to install in the car. Manual I believe states the Chevy website but there is nothing I can find on there.

So I'm just wondering if anyone knows the website in which to download the most current versions of the firmware etc. I also noticed it talks about open source. I really would like to change the background on the infotainment Main Screen to a personal Image however I do not know if you are able to do so without installing some sort of open source app and/or voiding warranty stuff. You would think you could put an image on the USB drive open it, and then be able to select it and save as desktop just like on the PC.

I'm new to the cruze community here, appreciate anyone's help and plan on being apart of the family here for a while. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

:bowdown:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Officially, you can not update the firmware yourself.

GM stopped providing the firmware files due to people improperly trying to update and bricking their MyLink systems.

If you are really really really good friends with a GM service tech, they might be able to pull the update for you, but you are supposed to take it to a dealer to have it done.

As far as I am aware, MyLink customization can only be done on the BYOM radios found in the US Chevy Sonic and Russian Chevy Cruzes. And even then, it appears to only be possible with the older models.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I personally was wondering if they can update the 2016 radios to support their new App Shop that is available as well as a few minor upgrades. I mainly just want the system that allows for the additional apps to be installed to the car like GM wanted to do many years ago

·
Registered
509 Posts
Unknown. The only vehicles I've seen so far that will have the shop are Cadillacs (Cue) and an Acadia model (Intellilink). Nothing mentioned about MyLink systems.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I happened to be watching a video review of a 2017 Impala on YouTube and noticed that it had a "Shop" icon with a down facing arrow on its screen, this car obviously had enough pre-installed apps that it was on the 2nd page of the car

·
Registered
25 Posts
The new Chevy Malibu Premier has "shop app". It also had weather and traffic. Which I don't have in my 2016 chevy Cruze that I bought two weeks ago :-/

·
Registered
509 Posts
I happened to be watching a video review of a 2017 Impala on YouTube and noticed that it had a "Shop" icon with a down facing arrow on its screen, this car obviously had enough pre-installed apps that it was on the 2nd page of the car
The new Chevy Malibu Premier has "shop app". It also had weather and traffic. Which I don't have in my 2016 chevy Cruze that I bought two weeks ago :-/
Interesting, however..... Given GM's track record of offering upgrades to past models, I would be more surprised to see it offered to 2016 owners than I would be to see it not offered.

·
Registered
2016 2nd Gen Cruze LT
64 Posts
You can always get your weather and traffic via Onstar. Just push the white button or use the handsfree button on the steering wheel. I know it won't show on the head unit but it's something that most people don't know about.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The late 16 and 17 radios are completely different radios, they are like the higher end older gm radios now, called HMI or human machine interface radios, the main part of the radio actually exists in the HMI module remote of the normal radio location, this is what GM is going to on all their products and I read where the firmware is possible to be updated thru the on-star, the infotainment radios have been very buggy and less than spectacular or up to speed with the rest of the world---

·
Registered
43 Posts
The weather and traffic are only available if you have the built-in nav option which of course is only available on Premier with sun & sound nav package. Its linked with SXM TravelLink

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wait what? I don't think we're talking about the same thing. There are no built in bags for the Cruze. You ether your onstar's nav ( monthly subscription) or CarPlay/AndroidAuto. I have the 2016 btw if that also makes a difference

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well the weather app I saw in the premier Malibu had forecasts by day and hour. Also the traffic app was pretty cool. You didn't need to activate it. It almost like wanted you if you were getting on a freeway, loop or interstate that had traffic. Which might be a little too late for most drivers lol. Just seems unfair that the Malibu get those apps and the shop app when it's the same MyLink software

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wait what? I don't think we're talking about the same thing. There are no built in bags for the Cruze. You ether your onstar's nav ( monthly subscription) or CarPlay/AndroidAuto. I have the 2016 btw if that also makes a difference
Built in "bags?" If you mean nav, I'll gladly show that one Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Personal luxury car

Its the same as the LT Sun and Sound like I have except this adds built-in nav. All the MyLink radios I've seen with Traffic and Weather have built-in Nav. I'm almost certain the traffic and weather use nav tech to work. Hence the name NavTraffic that SXM uses

·
Registered
509 Posts
Okay, I see some serious confusion going on... time to straighten out

1) Cruzes have always had navigation as an option. 2011-12 use non-MyLink Navigation and 2013+ use MyLink Navigation. 2013+ can access weather, movies, fuel and traffic information via SiriusXM NavTraffic + TravelLink; no idea if the 2011-12 version can.

2) Cruzes with the non navigation MyLink radio can access weather, movies and fuel information via SXM TravelLink; I use it on mine... although I almost cancelled it when we had major iced road issues in December and every news station on am/fm/tv was reporting weather advisories for the area but TravelLink showed nothing. Turned out they had issues on their end and had to reset their connection to my radio.

3) TravelLink provides weather by both a 5 day forecast as well as a 3 & 6 hour forecasts.

4) There were 2 different 2016 Cruzes made: the Gen 1 Cruze Limited and Gen 2 Cruze. The Gen 2 has the CarPlay/Android Auto option while the Gen 1 doesn't.

5) Can I see links to the Impala and Malibu?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Okay, I see some serious confusion going on... time to straighten out

1) Cruzes have always had navigation as an option. 2011-12 use non-MyLink Navigation and 2013+ use MyLink Navigation. 2013+ can access weather, movies, fuel and traffic information via SiriusXM NavTraffic + TravelLink; no idea if the 2011-12 version can.

2) Cruzes with the non navigation MyLink radio can access weather, movies and fuel information via SXM TravelLink; I use it on mine... although I almost cancelled it when we had major iced road issues in December and every news station on am/fm/tv was reporting weather advisories for the area but TravelLink showed nothing. Turned out they had issues on their end and had to reset their connection to my radio.

3) TravelLink provides weather by both a 5 day forecast as well as a 9 hour forecast

4) There were 2 different 2016 Cruzes made: the Gen 1 Cruze Limited and Gen 2 Cruze. The Gen 2 has the CarPlay/Android Auto option while the Gen 1 doesn't.

5) Can I see links to the Impala and Malibu?

Here's the Impala video I referenced. https://youtu.be/8DVFLQPMOOw?t=5m57s

·
Registered
509 Posts
Here's the Impala video I referenced. https://youtu.be/8DVFLQPMOOw?t=5m57s
While I did see the shop app, the other apps are the standard factory ones. It could be there for future use or it could be that ghost version that has been in a lot of vehicles but not active.

Some new Silverado owners are starting to see the shop also, and report that it only has 3 apps so far: Weather Channel, OnStar AtYourService and Glympse (which seems to be a location sharing app).

·
Registered
25 Posts
How interesting. I'm new to Chevrolet and the MyLink concept. Is there a chance of maybe getting an update with those apps mentioned above? I can def see usage in the weather app. Especially in Houston (the weather changes like crazy here). Also, movies... that's very interesting!!! I really do hope they push this to all chevy models.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Is there a chance of maybe getting an update with those apps mentioned above? I can def see usage in the weather app. Especially in Houston (the weather changes like crazy here).
What I have is I've signed up with Nixel. It sends a text message to my phone when significant things happen. I have a Android app that reads text messages to if I have a "headset" (the car is considered a Bluetooth headset) connected to my phone. Works great.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I'll post my radio home screen when it gets back from getting recall work done but I have the 8" screen like in the Impala in the video but I don't have the traffic and weather built-in apps displaying or available for use

1 - 20 of 31 Posts