Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow Cruze owners. What can I say i'm am ecstatic to have purchased my Summit White Diesel Cruze. This is my first new car, having previously drove a '89 Dodge truck as my dd. So i can say I'm a little flattered by all the newness for sure. Drove 50 miles to a dealership to get a stupid deal on this car, paid just a little over $24k otd. So far averaging 37 mpg with mostly city driving (under 45mph) except for the highway miles back from the dealer (60-65mph). Hope to meet a whole lot of people who'll enjoy this new diesel engine from Chevrolet as much as I do.

If you in the Paris, Ky area visit Dan Cummins Chevrolet, they gave me an amazing deal on my Cruze. Best price in a 250 mile radius, Guaranteed!!

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Congrats! There's nothing quite like that new car feeling.

What model year did you buy and how many miles did it have on the odometer?

·
Registered
300 Posts
If you in the Paris, Ky area visit Dan Cummins Chevrolet, they gave me an amazing deal on my Cruze. Best price in a 250 mile radius, Guaranteed!!
If your car is an automatic, I drove it. I bought mine at Dan Cummins too, but they had to dealer locate it. They had the white automatic and a blue manual, but I wanted a white manual. I drove both of them because I wanted to see how they stacked up. That dealership is crazy. I've never seen people standing around waiting for a salesperson at a car dealer.

I've had mine almost 4 weeks and I'm very happy with it. Great mileage and fun to drive.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Welcome! You're one of very few 2017 CTD owners here. Did you end up with the 9 speed auto or the manual one? And I'm sure we'd all be interested in your impressions on the powertrain/car itself as you get some more seat time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The blue manual ia what first caught my eye. But with my parents possibly needing to drive my car i decided on the auto. The blue one was gone before i got a chance to look anyways. The noise level is almost eerily quiet, but my old truck didnt have a muffle either. I do have one question, is there a certain def i should avoid or one I perferably should use? Ive used peak coolant in the past and they make Blue def then walmart has their brand as well. I assume its like oil, you get what you pay for. That raises another question, where to purchase dexos 2 oil. Ive only checked at walmart today as i was curious who carried what. All they had was Penzoil Euro-L but ive always leaned towards Shell. GM does have 3 different Shell Dexos-2 rated oils on there website, has anybody seen any of that oil in the wild.

How far did you drive to Dan Cummins? That place is unlike any dealership ive ever been to. They sold 15 cars while i was waiting on mine, including a Corvette, and my salesman said is was a slow saturday. 15 acres of cars, over 2000 in inventory.

·
Registered
300 Posts
They are pretty quiet cars. It has a low thrum that's easily overlooked if the radio is playing or enjoyed if diesel noises are your thing.

I don't know about DEF. I've mostly seen Peak for sale.

I haven't even looked for oil yet. Looks like my OLM is putting my first change around 5k - 6k miles. I haven't figured out if I'm going to change it myself yet. I usually do my own because it takes longer just to drive it somewhere than it takes me to do it at home. But... Dan Cummins throws in the lifetime powertrain warranty and the fine print makes it sound like you have to use an ASE certified mechanic to maintain coverage. I'm going to call the policy administrator to see if receipts for the oil and filter will be good enough for documentation of the maintenance. I'm not generally big on extended warranties, but it being a first year run on a "new" engine plus it being a diesel, which are notoriously expensive when things go bad, I'm kind of inclined to keep the warranty in force if I can.

I live about 2 hours east of Dan Cummins near Ashland KY. They were the nearest dealer with any diesels on the lot, though there are some in Cincinnati too, which is about as far. I stopped by Don Hall in Ashland and they said they weren't even going to order any because the Gen1 diesels weren't big sellers. It was fun wandering around the Dan Cummins lots looking for cars. The cars have GPS modules in them to help locate them, but the salespeople click the lock button on the fob to honk the horn and flash the lights on the cars when they think they have gotten close to where the one they're looking for is sitting. It's a wild place.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
The blue manual ia what first caught my eye. But with my parents possibly needing to drive my car i decided on the auto. The blue one was gone before i got a chance to look anyways. The noise level is almost eerily quiet, but my old truck didnt have a muffle either. I do have one question, is there a certain def i should avoid or one I perferably should use? Ive used peak coolant in the past and they make Blue def then walmart has their brand as well. I assume its like oil, you get what you pay for. That raises another question, where to purchase dexos 2 oil. Ive only checked at walmart today as i was curious who carried what. All they had was Penzoil Euro-L but ive always leaned towards Shell. GM does have 3 different Shell Dexos-2 rated oils on there website, has anybody seen any of that oil in the wild.

How far did you drive to Dan Cummins? That place is unlike any dealership ive ever been to. They sold 15 cars while i was waiting on mine, including a Corvette, and my salesman said is was a slow saturday. 15 acres of cars, over 2000 in inventory.
Seems a lot of owners are using the Penzoil Euro L Dexos 2 in the 1st gen diesel Cruze. I bought some for mine, but am not due for an oil change yet. Does GM not include 2 years scheduled maintenance anymore?

BTW I believe Penzoil and Shell are the same company these days...

DEF should be DEF...

Welcome to the forum and keep us updated on the new Cruze Diesel and how you like it!!!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Go diesel or don't go at all! Congrats on the new diesel. My wife and I bought a 2014 with 11.5 k miles to use as a beater. Us Gen 1 guys have gone through some growing pains, but still love them anyway. The new 2017s appear to have the kinks worked out. Post some pics.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
Hello fellow Cruze owners. What can I say i'm am ecstatic to have purchased my Summit White Diesel Cruze. This is my first new car, having previously drove a '89 Dodge truck as my dd. So i can say I'm a little flattered by all the newness for sure. Drove 50 miles to a dealership to get a stupid deal on this car, paid just a little over $24k otd. So far averaging 37 mpg with mostly city driving (under 45mph) except for the highway miles back from the dealer (60-65mph). Hope to meet a whole lot of people who'll enjoy this new diesel engine from Chevrolet as much as I do.

I'm within that radius, and I guarantee better pricing.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,913 Posts
DEF should be DEF...
By definition, it is. It has to be, legally, otherwise it cannot be labeled as "DEF". I get the Supertech stuff at WalMart for ~$8.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats on your new ride! Got mine a lititle over a month ago and loving it. 3200 miles on it now, changed oil at 2k with penn euro L. Had to get the filter at dealer since nobody has them yet. I like doing my own maintenance even though dealer gives two free changes. Topped off def with the peak brand, took right at a gallon. So far it has been a great car and has been averaging 45mpg mostly hwy driving at 80+ mph.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm in Nashville, TN and I've done decided to drive 5-8 hours to get the car I want. Found the one in MI, but just not decided on it yet. If I can't get 5K off a new Cruze, I won't buy one.

Congrats on the new car! Nothing better than getting a new vehicle!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Welp my love affair with my Cruze has hit a bump in the road. While driving around town tonight my CEL and Serivce Exhaust Fluid System lights have came on and refuse to leave. I also got the message that I've got 95 miles to till my speed will be limited to 65mph. So needless to say I'm a little peeved atm, the guy at AutoZone couldnt read the code. Thought maybe I'd try and get a leg up and see what it might have been. But nope, off the the dealer in town it goes tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Welp my love affair with my Cruze has hit a bump in the road. While driving around town tonight my CEL and Serivce Exhaust Fluid System lights have came on and refuse to leave. I also got the message that I've got 95 miles to till my speed will be limited to 65mph. So needless to say I'm a little peeved atm, the guy at AutoZone couldnt read the code. Thought maybe I'd try and get a leg up and see what it might have been. But nope, off the the dealer in town it goes tomorrow.
Push your onstar button and requested they conduct a diagnostic. They can read the codes back to you and offer some advice probably more informed than some random guy at autozone.

Reactions: MRO1791

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ive read some info from gen 1 Diesel models and it seems it could be from the DEF sitting in the tank on the dealer lot for a long period of time or the tank heater could be malfunctioning. I was really just curious what the code might have been, and if it was related to the DEF message. It almost has to be because this is the first message ive receieved about the fluid level.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.