Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
First Drive: Chevrolet Cruze 1.7 VCDi ( UK Hatch: 0-62 in 9.4 sec.)

IN AN effort to keep pace with the ever-improving engine efficiency in rival compact hatchbacks, Chevrolet has developed a 1.7-litre diesel for its Cruze......But fortunately it’s not just tuned for economy at the cost of driveability. When brand new it feels noticeably restricted and needs at least 1,000 miles to loosen up enough to show its full talent, but at that point it pulls strongly through all six gears thanks to a healthy 128bhp and 221lb.ft of torque.The Cruze itself isn’t a heavy car and feels livelier than its 0-62mph time of 9.4 seconds suggests once it’s got some miles under its belt. Well-chosen gearing is partly to thank, and even top gear isn’t too long to overwhelm the engine. The car sits at 2,000rpm at 70mph, which isn’t as low as it could be for outright fuel economy but it’s tractable without needing to change down....

(Keep in mind this was the hatchback version tested in UK)

READ MORE:

First Drive: Chevrolet Cruze 1.7 VCDi - Yahoo! Cars

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
**** 0-60 in 9.4 seconds.. (sigh)
Yep, but I bet it does 0-40 pretty quickly. Diesels are usually good at the low end. Also, they do measure 0-62 (aka 100 km/hr) in the UK. Also keep in mind that they tested the hatchback version, which is heavier.

yeah but Fuel economy: 72.4mpg

I would trade in my gaser for that.
Well that's Imperial gallons based on the UK test cycle which is like 50 mph, IIRC. They say it translates to the 50s in American mpg

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
**** 0-60 in 9.4 seconds.. (sigh)
That's about what many journalists reviewed the current Cruzes for. Even the heavily modded Cruzes have a very hard time breaking into the 14s in the 1/4 mile, but they will walk most cars that are technically faster than them.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Great... wanted the 2.0TDI to come not the 1.7TDI!! GM will probably go with this for the states and its even slower than our 1.4T :(

That's about what many journalists reviewed the current Cruzes for. Even the heavily modded Cruzes have a very hard time breaking into the 14s in the 1/4 mile, but they will walk most cars that are technically faster than them.
We haven't had anyone break into the 14s yet.... I don't really see it happening but I'm a skeptic. Cruze does pretty well in the 1/8th tho.. It can run ~10 flat even a tad quicker.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Well it does have 221 lbs of Torque, compared to 148. That will make it better on hills and quicker from a stop. You could even tow a small camper with it.
Torque has nothing to do with speed. It will make it better on hills your right, because torque is the load the engine does. Horsepower is how fast it does it. Hence, why on sports cars they advertise horsepower instead of torque. Work = Force * distance (aka, torque lb-ft!). Horsepower is a unit of power, which is rate of work. The diesel could have 500 lb-feet of torque, but as long as that little engine still says 130 horsepower, you aren't going anywhere faster :(.

·
Registered
63 Posts
The HP number is derived from the torque number. The formula is: HP=(Torque [lb-ft] x RPM)/5252. A nice flat torque curve like the 1.4 Turbo has does a lot for performance. This thing only has 6 more hp than my sister's Pontiac Vibe 1zz-fe and its ridiculous how much faster it is.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hp and torque was once explained to me when i was a young pup this way.

Hp is how fast you hit the wall.

Torque is how far you push it.

Another way to explain it is that HP tells you how fast you will go (maximum speed), while Torque tells you how fast you'll get to that maximum speed.

So, if you could theoretically build a vehicle with 1000 HP and 50 lbs of torque then the car will eventually go 200 mph, but it will take you all day to get there.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
Another way to explain it is that HP tells you how fast you will go (maximum speed), while Torque tells you how fast you'll get to that maximum speed.

So, if you could theoretically build a vehicle with 1000 HP and 50 lbs of torque then the car will eventually go 200 mph, but it will take you all day to get there.
I think that's backwards. Torque in units is lb-feet aka work. Horsepower is the rate you do work. He said it perfectly.. how far you push the wall (TQ) vs. how fast you hit the wall (HP).

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
I think that's backwards. Torque in units is lb-feet aka work. Horsepower is the rate you do work. He said it perfectly.. how far you push the wall (TQ) vs. how fast you hit the wall (HP).
Indeed. Think back to semi trucks. Gobs of torque and little (comparative) horsepower.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I disagree. The rate of acceleration is directly dependent on torque, which is why you shift near the peak of the torque curve for maximum acceleration.

You can have all the HP in the world, but if you gear it for low torque, then you're not going to accelerate very fast.

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
I disagree. The rate of acceleration is directly dependent on torque, which is why you shift near the peak of the torque curve for maximum acceleration.

You can have all the HP in the world, but if you gear it for low torque, then you're not going to accelerate very fast.
That is because torque is the work being done. Peak torque just means the powerband where the engine is doing the most work. Horsepower is how fast the work is being done. Hence, you never hear sports cars touting their torque ratings - no one cares. 600 Horses = faster than 550 horses.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts

So explain the Honda S2000. 240hp and 153lb-ft of torque. 0-60 in 5.3 seconds and 1/4 mile in high 13s.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts