Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

First Drive in the Mountains

3378 13
First drive in the mountains yesterday. Car load of people and gear. If you have ever driven I70 West out of Denver you will know it is a steep grade uphill for miles. The car did great and handled the mountains much better than I expected ... with the car being full.

Gotta love that torque. Great little motor.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Nice country out that way. Was on that road two summers ago, very steep for an interstate. Would be a real fun drive with a CTD.

Reactions: q2bruiser

·
Premium Member
24,131 Posts
My ECO MT just loves our mountains. Were you running 87 or 91 octane?

·
Premium Member
24,131 Posts
q2 drives a CTD
Whoops - I didn't see we're in the diesel area. Obviously octane isn't an issue. :eek:ccasion14:

Remember, in Colorado a gallon of gas doesn't go as far but a pint of beer goes further.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I drive up and down a mountain every workday and the CTD is by far the best car I've owned while living on the "hill". Works very well downhill even in the snow, gotta love the manual mode for keeping it in the right gear.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
First drive in the mountains yesterday. Car load of people and gear. If you have ever driven I70 West out of Denver you will know it is a steep grade uphill for miles. The car did great and handled the mountains much better than I expected ... with the car being full.

Gotta love that torque. Great little motor.

I've taken both the CTD and 1.4t all the way up to vail to hit the slopes, I'm not sure which one I prefer honestly lol they both take the mountains very well the tourqe from the diesel is fun but it's not a manual :'(

·
Premium Member
24,131 Posts
How's the CTD handle the down slopes from the Eisenhower tunnel and Vail Pass? I have to keep my ECO MT in 3rd gear and still use my brakes.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
How's the CTD handle the down slopes from the Eisenhower tunnel and Vail Pass? I have to keep my ECO MT in 3rd gear and still use my brakes.
I honestly just coast it, seems to handle it pretty well. The diesel loves those steep grades without keeping the rpms to high, like the OP said when you first hit the mountains coming from i70 it feels like it was made for being there.

·
Premium Member
24,131 Posts
where i live there is a 8 mile 8% hill, to keep it under 70 mph, 3rd gear and hardly any brakes
So the CTD actually has engine braking - cool. There is almost no engine braking above 2nd gear in the ECO MT and even in 2nd it's iffy.

·
Premium Member
953 Posts
So the CTD actually has engine braking - cool. There is almost no engine braking above 2nd gear in the ECO MT and even in 2nd it's iffy.
That would be correct, It takes those hills in the mountains and doesn't even look back lol. The engine braking is far more noticeable on the CTD than the Eco in pretty much all aspects from what I've experienced.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.