Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this car with 30k last fall from the dealer that originally sold it.

Last fall I had a complimentary oil change.

Today I changed it and was lucky I got the plug out and a dealer had a replacement in stock.

Sadly it showed 7 oil changes 5k miles apart from the dealer I bought it from.

It looks like, at one time, somebody took an air chisel to it.

As far as oil changes go for a cruze diesel.....I rate it an 8 for difficulty. Now with a lift I believe it would be a breeze. A lot of up and down involved.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,349 Posts
I didn't think the oil change itself was all that difficult - however, since we are missing the oil filter gutter, the whole underbody panel needs to be removed which is a major pain in the ass. For the next change, I need to figure out a method to collect/drain that oil without it going all over everything underneath. It was pretty easy to access the filter "cap" from the top.

As I mentioned in the "What did you do to your Cruze" thread, I am not sure why the oil drain plug is only a 13mm head, versus the 15mm head I am used to on almost every other vehicle I've changed oil on. I am also not sure if it was extremely tight due to heat cycles, or if the dealer just put it on too tight the previous times (I needed a breaker bar). I torqued it to spec, so we'll see next oil change.

Reactions: 15cruzediesel

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dang it didn't occur to me to torque it to spec.

I would like to know your results.

What is the torque spec?

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm pretty sure it's 1/2". I'd have to check my notes in the garage (I can never remember) but a 1/2" is absolutely perfectly snug with zero slop.

@15cruzediesel - Mine did the same thing. I had to take it to a shop and they removed it with an air chissel since nothing was left to grab a hold of. Try a 1/2"

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Dang it didn't occur to me to torque it to spec.

I would like to know your results.

What is the torque spec?
Minimal - 15 ft-lbs, if I recall.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm pretty sure it's 1/2". I'd have to check my notes in the garage (I can never remember) but a 1/2" is absolutely perfectly snug with zero slop.

@15cruzediesel - Mine did the same thing. I had to take it to a shop and they removed it with an air chissel since nothing was left to grab a hold of. Try a 1/2"
I used a 6 point 13mm. Fit perfect on new plug. I think the threads are m16 also.

But who knows next oil change I made a note to check fitment with a 6pt 1/2".

·
Registered
889 Posts
It's not 1/2.

Cars haven't used the American system since 1980.
That makes sense.

But I've found some metric bolt heads were a sloppy fit at 13mm, and were much better suited for a ½" socket. (And 12mm was too small.) The front hub bolts on my 2002 Impalas are my examples. You definitely don't want to round those off !

As you are aware, besides getting a snug fit, using a 6-pt socket instead of a 12 also helps avoid rounding.

Doug

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
I used a 6 point 13mm. Fit perfect on new plug. I think the threads are m16 also.

But who knows next oil change I made a note to check fitment with a 6pt 1/2".
I'm not sure if the threads are an M16, since the head on an M16 is usually around a 21mm. The thread diameter is pretty large, though, but that is likely because it's hollow. Then it just has this tiny little head, but that might be as mentioned elsewhere - to prevent overtightening, as I think the inside could potentially crush and really screw **** up if tightened too much.

That makes sense.

But I've found some metric bolt heads were a sloppy fit at 13mm, and were much better suited for a ½" socket. (And 12mm was too small.) The front hub bolts on my 2002 Impalas are my examples. You definitely don't want to round those off !

As you are aware, besides getting a snug fit, using a 6-pt socket instead of a 12 also helps avoid rounding.

Doug

This - 13mm = 0.51 inches, and as you said, sometimes the "correct" size sure doesn't seem like it is.

There are a number of standard and metric sizes that are basically interchangeable.

For instance: 11mm and 7/16", 24mm and 15/16" - two that I have been using the standard "equivalent" of on my brother's Mustang during the past week (as I do not have a deep 11mm or deep 24mm socket, and need them). Nice tight fit on both, and using the latter for some pretty high torque values on that car.

·
Registered
889 Posts
...as I do not have a deep 11mm or deep 24mm socket, and need them...
One of the things I like about Home Depot, Lowe's and auto parts stores, is that they offer a wide variety of individual sockets. It's not the best way to buy a set, but if all you need is a couple pieces, it's a great way to go. Plus, it adds character to your tool set :)

Doug

Redneck socket set:
redneck-socket-set1-labeled.jpg

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
One of the things I like about Home Depot, Lowe's and auto parts stores, is that they offer a wide variety of individual sockets. It's not the best way to buy a set, but if all you need is a couple pieces, it's a great way to go. Plus, it adds character to your tool set :)

Doug

Redneck socket set:
View attachment 287072
no mac?

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
I didn't think the oil change itself was all that difficult - however, since we are missing the oil filter gutter, the whole underbody panel needs to be removed which is a major pain in the ass. For the next change, I need to figure out a method to collect/drain that oil without it going all over everything underneath. It was pretty easy to access the filter "cap" from the top.

As I mentioned in the "What did you do to your Cruze" thread, I am not sure why the oil drain plug is only a 13mm head, versus the 15mm head I am used to on almost every other vehicle I've changed oil on. I am also not sure if it was extremely tight due to heat cycles, or if the dealer just put it on too tight the previous times (I needed a breaker bar). I torqued it to spec, so we'll see next oil change.
i lost my underbody panel couple years ago, oil changes are easy now, even after the gutter broke off

·
Registered
25 Posts
I normally wait to change my oil bit after I drive it up on ramps to let it cool, and no mess. The other day I removed the filter cover immediately after driving it and wow, what a mess. Also ZZP has a great magnetic drain plug. I bough one for both my Cruzes.
OOps didn't realize I was in the diesel thread

1 - 15 of 15 Posts