Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought my 2017 Cruze LS three years ago. In three years, I put 19k miles on the car due to COVID, then working from home.

To date I had been pleased with my 30-35 MPG driving local and occasional highway miles.

A couple weeks ago I had to drive to my employer’s HQ in Baltimore. Filled up the tank, thinking I might need a fill-up before getting to my destination.

To my pleasant surprise, I made the entire drive on the same tank… to the tune of 45 MPG!! Below is the odometer/MPG readout when I arrived… 385 miles later.

Vehicle Car Automotive design Speedometer Gauge

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,939 Posts
Those numbers and then the fuel gage seem a bit off. If you started with an absolutely full tank and achieved 45 mpg, you should have more than 1/8 tank of fuel left.
The gasoline versions are stupid conservative with the "reserve" left in the tank. I've run mine to "low" on the Miles to E display for an additional 20 miles and it still only took 11.7 or so gallons (13.7 gallon tank). Looks about right - my usual all-highway tanks are ~400-440 almost touching E/light on.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, new owner here. 2017 hatchback LT, 1.4 automatic.
So OK, I live in a city with hills all over and traffic jams even more, but city driving is 24mpg and highway is around 33mpg... any inkling what I can do to make it better, anybody?

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
13,840 Posts
The gasoline versions are stupid conservative with the "reserve" left in the tank. I've run mine to "low" on the Miles to E display for an additional 20 miles and it still only took 11.7 or so gallons (13.7 gallon tank). Looks about right - my usual all-highway tanks are ~400-440 almost touching E/light on.
I am usually able to go over 50 miles once the light turns on in my Gen I and I am not the most frugal of fuel sippers myself.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,939 Posts
Hi, new owner here. 2017 hatchback LT, 1.4 automatic.
So OK, I live in a city with hills all over and traffic jams even more, but city driving is 24mpg and highway is around 33mpg... any inkling what I can do to make it better, anybody?
Try to make it shift at 2500 or lower around town and don’t bother keeping up with people that jackrabbit away to the next red light.

Highway - the closer you stay to 65-70, the better the mileage (and 55 mph country roads will put you well into the mid 40s). Use cruise control and maintain a steady speed.

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
1,039 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
My Cruze LS didn’t come with cruise control, so I was extremely pleased with the 45 MPG… especially where there were some construction zones and some ferry hilly areas as I drove through PA.
When I bought my cruze new, in 2012, the dealer added factory cruze control to my 1.8L six speed manual. It was $500. Needs new steering wheel is all, I think.

My point: Dealers can probably install factory original equpment cruise control. So, if your car is all paid for and you already have new wheels and can't think of what to do to make it better, and you intend to keep it for some more years, and you don't have cruise on your Cruze... Maybe this is what you want?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts