Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First oil change at 1800 miles 2012 LT. Hastings filter, store brand full synthetic 5w30, dexos1 rated. My car already had the atrocity of a recall done on it. At first I removed the plug with the filler cap on. I can see how it would have gone everywhere, but with the filler can removed it flowed nicely. I packed rags around the filter, but not one drop spilled, the oil must drain out after the engine is turned off. 24mm socket used, I also used a wobble drive extension and swivel head ratchet to spin the cap off, it's sort of a pain. Do all filters come with a new o ring? Hastings did. I also notice the dipstick takes some wiggling to get it back in. After this, I'll be going by the oil monitor.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,608 Posts
Do all filters come with a new o ring?
Yeah, the Purolator I used came with one too.

My oil filter cap was dry when I removed it, but I did make the mistake of not opening it or pulling the oil stick before loosening the plug. Now I know not to do that anymore...and won't be doing the recall on my shield.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
One thing I do when removing the filter is use a small bag that my daily paper comes in and grab the filter from the housing like it's dog poop. Keeps your hands clean and oil drips (if any) to a minimum.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
Yeah, my MityVac won't work unless either the filter housing or the fill cap gets undone.

I'd run no more than 8000 miles or 20% on the oil life monitor to err on the safe side with the 1.4T. That's what my two oil analyses, one at 7000 miles and 30% OLM and the other at 9000 miles and 10% OLM, revealed. 10% OLM was a little too long, even on full synthetic dexos1 oil.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts