Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy forum friends! This is my first post here but Ive been lurking nonstop since I got my car a little over a week ago and have read a bunch on what to do for my upcoming modifications. However, funds are a little bit tight right now so I'm looking at budget mods. Intake comes first, then some sort of exhaust work. Ive already taken out the intake resonator but haven't noticed much more sound or pick up in the butt dyno. So instead of going all out and buying a full K&N SRI, can I just go about buying a cone filter and installing it on the end of the stock intake tubing? I want to apologize in advance for any dumb questions I may post on this forum in the upcoming months.

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
If it's performance you are after, without a tune, then you have done all you can do. The stock filter has been proven to be of great air-flow. Funny thing, when I removed my resonator I was initially disappointed until I realized just how pro-active our ECU is in managing the wastegate of the turbo. Some days I can clearly here the spool and the BPV "woosh", but only when the car is fully warmed up and my driving has been less conservative. On days where I've jsut been cruising and not needing the boost, I notice that even when I get on it I won't here the sounds as clearly because they car is simply deciding I don't need the boost at that time.

Sounds crazy, but it happens enough that I'm convinced there is active management at work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now that's interesting and that's the first time Ive heard that side of the coin as well, the active management I mean. So even a K&N drop in will do bubkiss?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Now that's interesting and that's the first time Ive heard that side of the coin as well, the active management I mean. So even a K&N drop in will do bubkiss?
The K&N literature for their Typhoon SRI states and has a graph!) that shows 6.(something)HP increase with their product.

It feels as if the throttle is responding more quickly - but maybe that's just my cerebral cortex justifying the $200 I spent...

Reactions: Willis_G

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
I believe it was XR (XtremeRevolution) that had hard data on the filters in a thread somewhere that shows that the filters we get are about as free-flowing as one can ask for. And since we are forced-induction anyway, there's nothing in the tubing itself that is going to make any difference.

However, our cars do sound pretty sweet with an SRI. Not enough for me to actually buy one though.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting. I'm guna have to search around on here for that thread with the different comparisons. Thanks for all of the inputs

1 - 6 of 6 Posts