Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This past weekend I went on my first road trip after doing my plugs, Reso delete, and 41 psi in the tires.. I filled up in Tulsa where I live and made it all the way to Galveston, Tx to the Gulf of Mexico without having to stop for fuel 518 miles away, there was also a 10-15 mph headwind that we drove into the entire way down there.. I would say that the "mods" do add mpg to your cruze and the pic below is of my DIC when I stopped to get gas on Seashore Blvd. When we filled up we drove approx. 1/4 of a mile to the hwy and didn't get off the hwy until we were at the Gulf of Mexico, we made 2 stops for bathroom breaks but both times were at rest stops along side the hwy so there was no city driving in these figures.. Over all I am very happy with the results before all of the "mods" I was at an avg of between 25-30 mpg to avg 41.4 while driving into a headwind is pretty impressive if you ask me and it didn't cost me a dime to do them either!! :eusa_clap::eusa_clap:

Attachments

Reactions: Starks8

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was using 89 oct. and before the mods I was at an avg of 25-30. I never saw over 30 mpg and I drive 83 miles round trip to work everyday. I have left one of my trip trackers on my DIC alone and have never reset it I have 26,000 miles on my car now and the lifetime avg is 29.1 so going from around mid to high 20's to 41 mpg after doing the plugs and such is HUGE for me!!

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
I was using 89 oct. and before the mods I was at an avg of 25-30. I never saw over 30 mpg and I drive 83 miles round trip to work everyday. I have left one of my trip trackers on my DIC alone and have never reset it I have 26,000 miles on my car now and the lifetime avg is 29.1 so going from around mid to high 20's to 41 mpg after doing the plugs and such is HUGE for me!!
Increasing plug gap makes a pretty significant difference, as does increasing tire pressure. Those are very good numbers on an automatic though. Nice work!

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Only bad thing is that on the way home just outside of Galveston we hit a pot hole and there was a bad vibration in the front end.. we had to speed up as driving slow the vibration was worse we stayed around 75-80 the whole way back and only got 32.4 mpg.. When I got to work today (work at a Chevy dealership) I had the service dept look at it and both wheels on the driver side are bent.. I am so mad I am seeing red and there is steam coming out of my ears!!

·
Premium Member
1,351 Posts
Check out car-parts.com. It's a link to wrecking yards that ship. You can get the wheels for a good price.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Reactions: WhiteAndBright

·
Premium Member
3,177 Posts
Only bad thing is that on the way home just outside of Galveston we hit a pot hole and there was a bad vibration in the front end.. we had to speed up as driving slow the vibration was worse we stayed around 75-80 the whole way back and only got 32.4 mpg.. When I got to work today (work at a Chevy dealership) I had the service dept look at it and both wheels on the driver side are bent.. I am so mad I am seeing red and there is steam coming out of my ears!!
Wow! Sorry to hear about your bad luck on the way back man!! Hopefully you can find those rims for cheap somewhere.

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Check out car-parts.com. It's a link to wrecking yards that ship. You can get the wheels for a good price.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
Thanks for the heads up guys I will look into that!! I have also been doing a little looking on the web and it might just be cheaper for me to buy some aftermarket wheels.. I talked with our parts manager yesterday and he looked up the price for a new 18" LTZ wheel and he told me that they list for $525.00 per wheel, I about fell out of my chair.. I'm not sure if that is just the list price or sales price or my price but for $1,050.00 I am sure that I can find a set of nice aftermarket wheels that I like.. I did get lucky as the tires made it through the whole ordeal ok and I can still reuse them.. I am also trying to get ahold of the city on how they would like to resolve my issue seeing how that pot hole on their road in their city creates a huge safety hazard what if after we hit the pot hole the tire blew and caused us to go across the 4 lanes of highway that we were traveling on not to mention it was a bridge over a body of water, I would be fine if it was just me in the car alone with no one on the highway at that time but for the fact that I could have lost control and could have killed someone really upsets me.. I will keep everyone posted, wish me luck!!

·
Premium Member
906 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to New Mexico at the end of the month so I will be able to get another long distance reading on my mpg.. But while I am there I am meeting up with a member on this site who I bought a K&N sri from so I will get to see real life data on driving there before adding this and then see what kind of mpg I get on the trip home. I already have a K&N drop in but this will be a good chance to see the difference in just the filter and the sri.. I will keep everyone posted on the status.. :th_coolio:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts