Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, in Milwaukee with all that road construction going on, and what to you do with an uncovered gravel truck flying along on a pothole filled road coming from the opposite direction.

Is covered 100% by my insurance, can live it with, only about five inches centered from the bottom. Safelite always was the best for me, got on their site this morning, came out here just an hour ago. Really had some kind of a suction cup attachment that hooked up to some kind of James Bond suitcase. Just hooked it up, hit some buttons, and while waiting cleaned all the windows inside and outside of my Cruze.

Did verify my chip was a spreader, but I already knew this, ha, he likes my Supra, was a pleasant visit. Had no problem recognizing him, Safelite send me his photo. Can still see that spot if the light is just right.

But what about all these gravel trucks running around uncovered? And how do you get their license plate number on a vehicle coming from the opposite direction flying a a hundred miles per hour. Looking at my rear view mirror, could only see a pile of mud where I thought the license plate should be.

·
Registered
24 Posts
last two new cars i owned i took out the windshields within a week of owning them. Must stop buying new cars in the spring. Nothing like sawing out the **** windshield before u make the first payment

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Feel for you Nick. We have a road here that is in a constant state of terminal pothole disease. It's a six lane road and there is literally no way to avoid hitting multiple holes along the 20 miles of length. Funny, it's a state highway within the city limits and no office will take responsibility for permanent repairs. The city cheaped out twenty years ago and didn't fix the drainage issues, so the pavement (asphalt over concrete) just frost heaves and spits pieces of pavement out constantly. The city's method of repair is to shovel cold patch into water filled holes and claim they fill tens of thousands of potholes every month or so. Of course they are filling the same holes over and over. The state doesn't have funds to rebuild the road as all of their tax money is tied up repairing and expanding the interstate routes around here. I have finally figured out a solution for us so we don't have to drive on these streets any more. We're moving out the city to the country side. Yeah, it's going to cost us a ton to build a new home, but it's worth it not to have to play dodge'm with potholes and other cars trying to avoid potholes.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Is there a difference in glass quality at all?

There's a safelite up the street from me and I see cars there all the time, maybe I should check them out. Mine is so chipped up. Seems like every time something hits it there's a mark.... windshield on the '01 Sunfire still looks fine. What happened? :(

Sent with iLove 6.0

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Is there a difference in glass quality at all?

There's a safelite up the street from me and I see cars there all the time, maybe I should check them out. Mine is so chipped up. Seems like every time something hits it there's a mark.... windshield on the '01 Sunfire still looks fine. What happened? :(
Sent with iLove 6.0
Does the label on your windshield say "Fuyao"? That's likely a clue.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My Fuyao was a fiasco, first heat of the summer generated a lot of bubbles inside that laminate. Good bodyman verified this, but the warranty manager said he couldn't give permission to change it without "Erin's" permission, the rep from Chicago. But she never heard of Wisconsin so never came up here.

But somehow the heat of the sun must have cured that laminate, so all those bubbles went away and never did come back. It was really bad driving into the sun with all that glare.

Was surprised to see a compact car instead of a van drive into my driveway and so quick. Said that is all he does is repair stone chips and started off to be a slow day. But in the few minutes he was here, got three more calls.

His stone chip repair kit, cell phone, vacuum cleaner, and credit card machine were all battery operated, said he had to recharge those every night. He needed my credit card, because this happened so quick, my insurance company didn't back to them yet and won't be me unless there is a problem, but know there won't be. That was interfaced to his cell phone so all the data was transferred to his credit card machine that printed out the receipt.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
My Fuyao was a fiasco, first heat of the summer generated a lot of bubbles inside that laminate. Good bodyman verified this, but the warranty manager said he couldn't give permission to change it without "Erin's" permission, the rep from Chicago. But she never heard of Wisconsin so never came up here.

But somehow the heat of the sun must have cured that laminate, so all those bubbles went away and never did come back. It was really bad driving into the sun with all that glare.

Was surprised to see a compact car instead of a van drive into my driveway and so quick. Said that is all he does is repair stone chips and started off to be a slow day. But in the few minutes he was here, got three more calls.

His stone chip repair kit, cell phone, vacuum cleaner, and credit card machine were all battery operated, said he had to recharge those every night. He needed my credit card, because this happened so quick, my insurance company didn't back to them yet and won't be me unless there is a problem, but know there won't be. That was interfaced to his cell phone so all the data was transferred to his credit card machine that printed out the receipt.
I wonder if the bubbles are what I have, They look like hundreds of tiny chips. Some are definitely chips though.

I was doing some reading on other threads and it seems replacing the windshield should be a last resort, isn't there a good company who makes a Cruzen windshield replacement?

Sent with iLove 6.0

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I wonder if the bubbles are what I have, They look like hundreds of tiny chips. Some are definitely chips though.

I was doing some reading on other threads and it seems replacing the windshield should be a last resort, isn't there a good company who makes a Cruzen windshield replacement?

Sent with iLove 6.0
Here I thought I was the only one with this problem, should form a club.

First steps the body shop manager did, he is a good guy, known him for years. Was to clean both the inside and the outside of the windshield with 0000 steel wool. This will not mar the windshield in anyway, but those specs can also be tree sap or whatever.

Then to shine a bright light from the inside and view it from the outside, this really shows up these countless bubbles. He, said it was definitely defective and should be replaced, but he has to report to the warranty manager. He was paranoid and feared if he okayed it, would end up paying for it.

These spots showed up the worse when the vehicle was in the hot sun, the bubbles somewhat subsided in the cool of the night. When we got into the cold weather, disappeared completely but thought they would come back the next summer. They never did.

While typing this, got call from my insurance company to verify the claim, will cover it, but if that crack expands for any reason, will replace the windshield, but my 100 buck deductible would apply.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Just got my first chip recently too. Had a onsite repair done, with taxes it was only $60, half of what Safelite wanted. I don't file insurance claims unless something major comes up, not worth the possible rate hikes or not being renewed.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just got my first chip recently too. Had a onsite repair done, with taxes it was only $60, half of what Safelite wanted. I don't file insurance claims unless something major comes up, not worth the possible rate hikes or not being renewed.
A windshield would be covered under comprehensive unless it's due to an accident. I don't think I've ever heard of a rate going up or insurance company not renewing because of a windshield claim.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Never ever had my comprehensive rates increased with any claim. Even getting hit by a deer. But for whatever reason if my car is hit in a parking lot by some idiot, collision covers it and can expect some kind of rate increase.

Doing some math in my worn out brain, coming up with more years of having auto, home, and health insurance with not even that dirty word, "deductible" invented. But this sure was invented, and really have to study this, still can buy non-deductible insurance but will pay through the nose.

Health insurance is completely out of the question, want more for a non-deductible health plan then what that high deductible is. And the thing is, you pay this huge amount extra whether you use it or not! Asked why this is, replied, they figure if you have a non-deductible plan, you would walk in with a bend fingernail, but with a high deductible rate, you would think twice.

With home insurance the same thing, main concern is if a tornado hits our home and wipes it completely off the map. That little stuff like a broken window or storm door, can repair these myself for pennies. But saving a lot of money with a high deductible plan. And the same with my cars.

Now if I can only prove a deer ran into my car in a parking lot and not some idiot inconsiderate driver. For an extra 50 buck reduction in comprehensive, want an extra 51 bucks per year. I will take the risk on this.

And with deductible, with the end of the year, start from zero again, they sure know how to screw the hail out of us.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts