Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

First unconcious attempt at hypermiling the Cruze Eco in City

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Merc6 
#1 · (Edited)
This weekend I was left the job of driving my son around town! I am the only one that knows their way around the city. While driving, I was thinking about what I read about shifting @ 1400 RPM. I first I was thinking how the @&?$?$ do you do that consistently. All I know I paid attention to how I was driving and I started @ 3/4 tank and tonight when I got home I was looking at 1/4 tank left. First thought about hypermiling and driving more efficiently and there was no way possible. I am always in a hurry for no reason; But after a while it became an obsession! I checked the DIC and it was sitting at 305 miles with 36.2 MPG 99% city mind you. I have pics but having tough time connecting my phone to my computer. Don't know if can continue to do it but honestly it is more relaxing to drive slower and pay attention more to the car and how it is running that worrying about getting somewhere faster! Only problem that was on a weekend(kinda relaxing) Driving during the week is a different animal! I know the adage when getting a speeding ticket in a fast car: Its the driver not the car!!! At least I know it can be done, takes paying attention to how you're driving. Probably that is why people like the Prius and electric cars don't have to pay attention to what you are doing to get decent MPG.

#2 ·
Yeah it's the whole idea that there is a turbo waiting for you when the revs get too far past the FE range that gets us in trouble. I found myself better concentrated on driving using the "Speed XXX MPH" tab vs the speed/range/instant mpg one. You can't enjoy the car if you fixate on that 3 tier screen nor the Eco bar in the Eco tab(not the MPG game screen one).

#3 ·
Wife and I have done really good hypermiling in our car, but my god it is so hard when you know if you press on it a little harder you go get that little silly smile on your face.

What helped me was keeping it in the MPG selection. It would be a whole challenge to get that number up lol.

#4 ·
My last two tanks haven't been nearly as good - mid 40s - as my previous few. I just had the need to keep the turbo engaged. Nothing quite like keeping the tack at the red line.

#5 · (Edited)
Here is the final tally. I filled up tonight(I had enough "Kroger+" points to get my 10cents off at Shell). My DIC was right on with my calculations. 325 miles 36.2 MPG 9 gal of gas used. I actually used 8.977, which came out to 36.2 MPG. also. @95 % city driving! I am one happy camper now. I know my car is running good an driving is a challenge to keep the MPG up driving efficiently(never did that before). Probably bc it never mattered before! See if I can keep this up may take longer but it is fun trying to break the last tank and brag about it at work! I will need to learn how to do this on the hwy also. Did it on my way to Fla got 44.6 MPG going to Atlanta just didn't use the cruise too much going thru the mountains. I was tuned then with the K&N(now I am stock). See how it goes over time!

#6 ·
The trick on the highway is to keep your speed down. The ECO MT is 55 MPG @ 55 MPH and drops about 3 MPG for every 5 above that. It's a pretty linear drop also. Anything below 50 mph and you'll start having to downshift to go up even moderate hills. Also, below 50 MPH and DFCO won't activate in 6th gear.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.