Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Five years ago today, Nov. 28, 2012, I brought home my new 2012 Cruze LT.

It's still going strong with just under 75K mi.

Wish I could say it's been problem-free - it's had it's issues which were documented here:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/34-g...il-leaking-left-front-my-car.html#post2697970

However, the dealer has been excellent and I've had no issues in 10K mi since the pistons etc were replaced.

It's interesting to note that my gas mileage has not got above 36 mpg since the pistons were replaced (it was up near 40 mpg) but it's got way more power than before, so I'm not complaining. I assume the Dealer gave me an ECU update that avoids the conditions that caused the pistons to crack in the first place. For the same reason, I haven't put the tune back in because it's got plenty of power as is!

Hoping to get another few years out of my Cruze - it's paid off, gets reasonable gas mileage and it looks like cars with manual transmissions are going the way of the dinosaurs in the next few years, so this may be the last manual trans for me :cry:
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Alloy wheel Chevrolet cruze

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Happy Cruzin Anniversary!!!

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
What makes the pistons crack? I've heard of this serious problem more than once here.
I have a 2013 eco with 21k on her now and I'm concerned?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The explanation I've heard for the the piston cracking is that it's a design error - there is too little material (metal) on the piston between the rings - the ring lands.

The solution is to replace the cracked pistons with an upgraded piston design.

Doesn't really explain why it only affects a small number of cars, though.

Has anyone else heard a better explanation?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts