Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Try to seal it

Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I’ve owned my car since brand-new and it has about 89,000 miles on it. I do all my own service and every time I do I check for oil leaks around seals. This time I finally discovered a slight oil weep around a seal above the oil pan. It’s not enough to cause a drip but it is weeping. After cleaning it up a little piece of the seal just fell off. My question is what kind of sealants do you guys recommend. Oil additives? Or some sort of external spray on solution? It’s obviously not super bad right now but I’d like to do something before paying loads to get a seal replaced.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

Font Rectangle Magenta Logo Fashion accessory
I’ll
Shoe Outerwear Automotive tire Sleeve Grey

·
Registered
2015 Cruze 1.4L engine 6 speed AT
838 Posts
Oil additives?
The "high mileage" oils have a bit of seal conditioners in them, can't hurt to try. The high mileage oils are very safe to use in any vehicle. I wouldn't add anything to the oil, like leak stop. I'll repeat myself for effect, do not use any oil additives. I wouldn't worry, but if you really want to fix it...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The "high mileage" oils have a bit of seal conditioners in them, can't hurt to try. The high mileage oils are very safe to use in any vehicle. I wouldn't add anything to the oil, like leak stop. I'll repeat myself for effect, do not use any oil additives. I wouldn't worry, but if you really want to fix it...

Thanks for your input Johnny B. I thought those stop leak cans sounded like bs to me, sounds like we’re on the same page. Funny though, that’s the exact video I saw when googling earlier. I’ll check it out again but when I heard the first 30 seconds of that video or so, I thought I had heard RV silicone spray or something and just thought to myself, “really?😒” and clicked away. I thought that there would be a more specialized sealant for external oil pan sealing applications considering it’s not a full blown leak yet, but what do I know. And price isn’t really concerning to me as far as a can of seal-some-**** is concerned so the word “cheapest” in the title turned me off. But I’ll give it another looksee…

1 - 3 of 3 Posts