Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flex fuel or E85 . What is it. Can it be used in a regular car.Just came from St. Petersburg FL and saw flex fuel for $2.99/Gallon

Thanks

·
Registered
148 Posts
It is 85% ethanol. The reason the price is cheaper is a combination of two factors: supply of corn (which fluxuates) and the fact that the energy density of the fuel is lower. So with E85 you will never get the fuel efficiency you can from regular dino juice.

Our cars are not certified for E85, although people have run their Cruze on it successfully. I would suggest just stay away, not worth it, unless maybe if you move to Brazil.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
no, the vehicle must be setup for Flex Fuel or E85. You can get a Flex Fuel tune for the Cruze, or an E85 Tune. Both will require you to upgrade the Injectors at a minimum, there may be more, but I have not really looked into it.

Flex Fuel means the vehicle can run regular fuel or E85 (or a mixture of the 2).
A vehicle setup for E85 can only run E85.

Our cars are not certified for E85, although people have run their Cruze on it successfully. I would suggest just stay away, not worth it, unless maybe if you move to Brazil.
Only those who are tuned for it. E85 makes more power, which is why people do swap to it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts