Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
All Cruzes have one.

The rest of the symptoms make it sound like there's a bad ground connection shared between things, though.
I’m sorry but I contacted the dealer to make sure. It also doesn’t have a power steering reservoir. Among a few normal things most cars have. And the ground and battery have been replaced. U should read all of my post. Says that. I replaced the neg cable. Drove it in 3mins the computer reset poorly and went back from 14.6-15.3 to 12.6 for the rest of the 45-1.25hr drive. I drove to the same dealer and bought a brand new battery the VERY NEXT DAY. Same thing again. Car acted fine for the first part of the drive the. Right back to staying at 12.6. I have videos photos play by play driving. As I said this all showed up after they pressure washed my engine compartment. I will have the computer checked out when I have the money. My whole family is mechanics I grew up in a show. I fix everyone’s car I know. I’m versed in the ways of cars. I might be a girl but this is NOT NORMAL ! U don’t have a car perfectly fine then pressure wash the engine compartment and then the electrical freaks out. I have ran down every lead I could possibly look for. Also something strange I was n the car at night (don’t usually go anywhere at night) and I noticed when I shut the car off the radio was still on and below is the hazard the hazards where flashing dimly. The security on it is on top the dash not in it. The mechanic was pissed I called him out on improperly torquing my lugs so he dumped oil on my transmission and map sensor.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,103 Posts
Pull the fuse box in the engine bay apart and make sure it is dry and that all the connections are made.

Oh and please add some paragraphs to your blocks of text, I'm old and reading without a pause gives me headaches and subsequently bad advice.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Pull the fuse box in the engine bay apart and make sure it is dry and that all the connections are made.

Oh and please add some paragraphs to your blocks of text, I'm old and reading without a pause gives me headaches and subsequently bad advice.
I can’t pull the fuse box if I want the previous dealer to possibly pay for the repair. I changed the battery cause they claimed it was leaking acid again serviced the previous battery the week. Funnily enough no acid the week I serviced it. But acid when I replaced it.
As for the grammar i don’t do that. I’m more of a math or hands on person.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
I’m sorry but I contacted the dealer to make sure. It also doesn’t have a power steering reservoir. Among a few normal things most cars have. And the ground and battery have been replaced. U should read all of my post. Says that. I replaced the neg cable. Drove it in 3mins the computer reset poorly and went back from 14.6-15.3 to 12.6 for the rest of the 45-1.25hr drive. I drove to the same dealer and bought a brand new battery the VERY NEXT DAY. Same thing again. Car acted fine for the first part of the drive the. Right back to staying at 12.6. I have videos photos play by play driving. As I said this all showed up after they pressure washed my engine compartment. I will have the computer checked out when I have the money. My whole family is mechanics I grew up in a show. I fix everyone’s car I know. I’m versed in the ways of cars. I might be a girl but this is NOT NORMAL ! U don’t have a car perfectly fine then pressure wash the engine compartment and then the electrical freaks out. I have ran down every lead I could possibly look for. Also something strange I was n the car at night (don’t usually go anywhere at night) and I noticed when I shut the car off the radio was still on and below is the hazard the hazards where flashing dimly. The security on it is on top the dash not in it. The mechanic was pissed I called him out on improperly torquing my lugs so he dumped oil on my transmission and map sensor.
It's a variable output alternator, as I said. Voltage fluctuation between charging/not charging IS NORMAL behavior for these cars when they have a good charge on a good battery.

It does not have a power steering reservoir; these cars have electric power steering.

There are other grounds in the system besides the negative cable; perhaps one of those was knocked free and causing differences in fan speed or power steering response, because mine didn't change how anything behaved regardless of charging/battery voltage fluctuation. Maybe something is corroded and causing inconsistent connection.

Hazard light illumination is quirky, but normal for these cars as well.

·
Administrator
12,103 Posts
I can’t pull the fuse box if I want the previous dealer to possibly pay for the repair. I changed the battery cause they claimed it was leaking acid again serviced the previous battery the week. Funnily enough no acid the week I serviced it. But acid when I replaced it.
As for the grammar i don’t do that. I’m more of a math or hands on person.
Then have them do it.

And as for the paragraphs, just hit enter once in a while.

·
Registered
10 Posts
They didn't get water in it. I checked right after they pressure washed it. Theres a double lip. And I get that you dont like I dont use proper grammar but this is a car website not a grammar website. Im sorry but I write how I want to write.

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's a variable output alternator, as I said. Voltage fluctuation between charging/not charging IS NORMAL behavior for these cars when they have a good charge on a good battery.

It does not have a power steering reservoir; these cars have electric power steering.

There are other grounds in the system besides the negative cable; perhaps one of those was knocked free and causing differences in fan speed or power steering response, because mine didn't change how anything behaved regardless of charging/battery voltage fluctuation. Maybe something is corroded and causing inconsistent connection.

Hazard light illumination is quirky, but normal for these cars as well.
ok for the last time. IT IS NOT I ALREADY CALLED WITH MY VIN NUMBER AND HAD THE DEALER LOOK IT UP.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
ok for the last time. IT IS NOT I ALREADY CALLED WITH MY VIN NUMBER AND HAD THE DEALER LOOK IT UP.
Charging System Operation

The purpose of the charging system is to maintain the battery charge and vehicle loads. There are 6 modes of operation and they include:

• Battery Sulfation Mode
  • Charge Mode
  • Fuel Economy Mode
  • Headlamp Mode
  • Start Up Mode
  • Voltage Reduction Mode
The engine control module (ECM) controls the generator through the generator turn ON signal circuit. The ECM monitors the generator performance though the generator field duty cycle signal circuit. The signal is a pulse width modulation (PWM) signal of 128 Hz with a duty cycle of 0-100 percent. Normal duty cycle is between 5-95 percent. Between 0-5 percent and 95-100 percent are for diagnostic purposes. The following table shows the commanded duty cycle and output voltage of the generator:
Commanded Duty CycleGenerator Output Voltage
10%11 V
20%11.56 V
30%12.12 V
40%12.68 V
50%13.25 V
60%13.81 V
70%14.37 V
80%14.94 V
90%15.5 V

The generator provides a feedback signal of the generator voltage output through the generator field duty cycle signal circuit to the ECM. This information is sent to the body control module (BCM). The signal is PWM signal of 128 Hz with a duty cycle of 0-100 percent. Normal duty cycle is between 5-99 percent. Between 0-5 percent and 100 percent are for diagnostic purposes.
Battery Sulfation Mode

The BCM will enter this mode when the interpreted generator output voltage is less than 13.2 V for 45 minutes. When this condition exists the BCM will enter Charge Mode for 2-3 minutes. The BCM will then determine which mode to enter depending on voltage requirements.

Charge Mode

The BCM will enter Charge Mode when ever one of the following conditions are met.

• The wipers are ON for more than 3 seconds.
  • GMLAN (Climate Control Voltage Boost Mode Request) is true, as sensed by the HVAC control head. High speed cooling fan, rear defogger and HVAC high speed blower operation can cause the BCM to enter the Charge Mode.
  • The estimated battery temperature is less than 0°C (32°F).
  • Battery State of Charge is less than 80 percent.
  • Vehicle speed is greater than 145 km/h (90 mph)
  • Current sensor fault exists.
  • System voltage was determined to be below 12.56 V
When any one of these conditions is met, the system will set targeted generator output voltage to a charging voltage between 13.9-15.5 V, depending on the battery state of charge and estimated battery temperature.

Fuel Economy Mode

The BCM will enter Fuel Economy Mode when the estimated battery temperature is at least 0°C (32°F) but less than or equal to 80°C (176°F), the calculated battery current is less than 15 amperes and greater than -8 amperes and the battery state-of-charge is greater than or equal to 80 percent. Its targeted generator output voltage is the open circuit voltage of the battery and can be between 12.5-13.1 V. The BCM will exit this mode and enter Charge Mode when any of the conditions described above are present.

Headlamp Mode

The BCM will enter Headlamp Mode when ever the headlamps are ON (high or low beams). Voltage will be regulated between 13.9-14.5 V.

Start Up Mode

When the engine is started the BCM sets a targeted generator output voltage of 14.5 V for 30 seconds.

Voltage Reduction Mode

The BCM will enter Voltage Reduction Mode when the calculated ambient air temperature is above 0°C (32°F). The calculated battery current is less than 1 ampere and greater than -7 amperes and the generator field duty cycle is less than 99 percent. Its targeted generator output voltage is 12.9 V. The BCM will exit this mode once the criteria are met for Charge Mode.

·
Registered
10 Posts
This is possible on some Gen I batteries at the positive cable.
OEM Battery from 2015? And yes it is possible however when I serviced the battery I put battery disks on it so the acid wouldnt have shot up but to the side. SO WHY WAS THERE ACID ON THE TOP OF THE POST? If you would have read ALL of my article you would see that I serviced the battery a week before I took it to get the oil and tire rotation. Also put brand new spark plugs in it. FOR THE LAST TIME THE CAR DOES NOT HAVE A VARIABLE ALTERNATOR. THE CAR WAS NOT DOING THIS PRIOR TO THE VISIT. I have video of where the acid was.

HERES A PARAGRAPH FOR YOU! Im sorry I thought this was a serious forum not just a bunch of trolls, trolling boards with nothing to do. I apologize and if someone would like to point me to the DELETE MY ACCOUNT ill be sure to erase my posts.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
HERES A PARAGRAPH FOR YOU! Im sorry I thought this was a serious forum not just a bunch of trolls, trolling boards with nothing to do. I apologize and if someone would like to point me to the DELETE MY ACCOUNT ill be sure to erase my posts.

I'm sorry you found the forum unsatisfactory. Knowledgeable, well spoken people were trying to help you. I saw some constructive criticism of your posts, but nothing mean spirited or hateful. Trying to understand complex problems is made even more difficult with hard-to-read messages. People were asking you to format your posts so they would be easier to understand; they were asking you to help them so they could help you.

I want to help, too. I think this could be beneficial for you.

Good day.

Doug

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
FOR THE LAST TIME THE CAR DOES NOT HAVE A VARIABLE ALTERNATOR.
Then you don't have a Cruze.

Variable voltage is a feature of ALL Cruzes - at least the ones sold in the US. It's not on option or a add-on. It's there from the LS to the LTZ. It's burned into the firmware of the BCM computer. A sharp mechanic might know about it, but probably not the service writer. And certainly not the sales department.(Because it's not a sales point and not an option they can up-sell.)

I suggest you focus on what's really creating the problem - the battery going dead. Has that happened since the battery was replaced?

It's possible the car's voltage was misbehaving with the old battery because it wouldn't take a charge, forcing the computer to raise the voltage. Unlike most cars, the computer in the Cruze watches the voltage AND the battery current. You can see the "donut" current sensor around the negative lead in the battery.

·
Administrator
12,103 Posts
OEM

Don't worry, I'll make sure not to offer you any more help.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts