Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First post on this site, glad to see so many people active with their Cruze.

I'm interested in modifying my car but in little ways, making the interior cleaner as far as charging wires and aux cables go. My first project I wan't to start with is mounting a USB port (only for power) on my dashboard near the driver side pillar. I have a smartphone that is not in service anymore so I would like to use it strictly as a car device. There is a mount I have been looking at that attaches the phone to the pillar, so having the power port located near there would make a fairly clean looking install.

I have found the following cables and could make them work, but was wondering if anyone found something nicer:
  1. Waterproof USB Extension: http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=7299
    • This could work, but it seems like there would be a good amount of housing sticking above the dash. I suppose that could be solved with a screw on the back too though.
  2. USB Dash Mount: http://amzn.com/B0047XUDCQ
    • ​According to reviews, doesn't output enough amperage to give a good charge.
It looks like #1 could get the job done, it would just involve another 'adapter' under the dash to plug the extension cable into.

Either way, this will be my first modification project ever on a vehicle and this seems like it should be easy enough. If you have any advice please send my way too.

Also: Haven't done too much research on the power adapter to plug into the extension cable, but I'm keeping this in mind...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One reason I opted to go with a USB port like this instead of it just poking out between the seams is incase I don't have the phone in there at the time. I don't want a random cord to just hang around.

I have a 5 inch power cable for the phone so there should be little slack.

I also want to have a reason to get under the dash and say I have actually done something.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
****, thanks for the heads up...

Then I may do the same but near the storage bin in the center of the dash, or driver side near the vent. Now I have to check the clearance near the vent...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you may want to consider installing the BlueTooth PDIM and eliminate the need for the USB cable completely.
I'm curious, what do you use your USB cable for then? I only need it for power... But yes, I have been looking into that especially since right now I have a cheap BT receiver that sits in the Aux port anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts