Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys what's up? So last week I flushed my brake system of the original fluid after almost 51k miles. The next day I rechecked the level and I noticed that the front half of the reservoir was full of new fluid, but the back half of it is still filled with old fluid. Does anyone know why this is, and how I can get the rest of the old fluid out?

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
How did you perform your flush?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I went around to each wheel and bled using the bleeder screw until I had fresh clean fluid come from each wheel.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
I went around to each wheel and bled using the bleeder screw until I had fresh clean fluid come from each wheel.
Did you apply a bleeder ball or have someone depress the brake pedal while opening the bleeders?

Did you apply vacuum to the bleeders?

How did you prevent air from entering the bleeders?

How much fresh brake fluid did you go through?

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
Is your car a MT or AT?

The manuals use the same reservoir - sort of - for hydraulic fluid for the clutch. As I can recall (I did it years ago and did both in the same day), that reservoir is sort of partitioned off inside to separate the two reservoirs.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My car is an automatic. I had my brother lightly press the brake pedal to help me bleed them. I didn't let the reservoir run dry at any point in time, and i ended up going through almost 3 12oz bottles of Amsoil brake fluid.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
My car is an automatic. I had my brother lightly press the brake pedal to help me bleed them. I didn't let the reservoir run dry at any point in time, and i ended up going through almost 3 12oz bottles of Amsoil brake fluid.
Sounds to me like you went through the right quantity. I'd be concerned about air backing up through the open bleeder. You can place a vacuum on the bleeders to make sure you got it all out.

I wonder if some old fluid remained in the ABS motor?

Have you noticed a difference in your brake pedal feel?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sounds to me like you went through the right quantity. I'd be concerned about air backing up through the open bleeder. You can place a vacuum on the bleeders to make sure you got it all out.

I wonder if some old fluid remained in the ABS motor?

Have you noticed a difference in your brake pedal feel?

I was also wondering if the old fluid is there because of the ABS? My brake pedal feel is very firm, I actually believe that it has slightly improved.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,488 Posts
ABS pump was my next guess...but I didn't seem to have any return when I bled mine via the same method.

·
Administrator
15,761 Posts
Simple solution then would be to siphon it out with a syringe or pump of some kind and refill it. The separator probably only serves to keep a supply of brake fluid in the event that the car drives over a severe incline, but there should be a hole somewhere in that divider that allows the fluid to travel through.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Okay. I noticed when I pull the sensor out of the top that I can access the portion of the reservoir that still contains the old fluid so I could probably just siphon it out there. As long as I can get most of it out I'll be happy. I just want it to have as much new fluid as possible.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe that the dealer can command that the ABS motors activate via a Tech 2 and in that way ensure a complete flush.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I could be wrong, but I believe that the dealer can command that the ABS motors activate via a Tech 2 and in that way ensure a complete flush.
No I think you are correct on this. I'm thinking I need to have my dealer look at my waterpump so I may just ask them how much it'll cost me for them to go ahead and do this for me while they're at it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.