Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Trouble with a LED bulb is your fogs will project very little light....this because the reflectors are not configured for the light emitting diode placement.......However, if you have the lamps only because they look kinda nifty and you like the look when the lamps are on....meaning actual projection is secondary, then just remove a bulb and look for the industry number printed on it.

Better have good eyes....often borderline microscopic.
From there, go to someone like our forum supporter for LED's and do a crossover to get the correct part number...go from there.

I went through a similar situation with my 89 Supercoupe.....old internet info indicated the fog switch would melt over time since Ford, in its infinate wisdom, chose not to use a relay and ran full feed current to and from the switch.
I converted to LED yellow bulbs (fogs....yellow...you know) and now the switch doesn't even know they are on.

Thay really don't cast any usable light.....but look coolish....IMO.

Back to your car......if you want road lamps that actually light the road I'd be looking hard at CARID to allow a return.....melting is certainly a 'Not Fit for Use' situation and a return is in order.

Then I'd be recommending the factory kit......I have them....they work well.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
A light emitting diode has no filiment and when operating, draw is almost immeasurable......gotta have draw to make heat, so.....I'm open to education.

Details please.

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
I get it......

I did more research and found that a high powered LED specifically for headlamp use, requires a heat sink....this because of the large number of diodes involved.

What got me off the path is we are discussing the small bulb design used in the various other bulb positions....in this case, the fog lamp housing.

So, now I know that the big ones require temperature control due to the electrical activity at the base prior to the led itself.

The normal leds for lighting a housing, not projecting light, do not require any temperature control.

So, I guess I'm a bit more edumacated.

Rob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.