Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently bought a 2014 Cruze Diesel and although it has fog lights there is no switch. If I buy the head light switch with the fog light button will the wiring harness be present for the fog lights?

·
Administrator
25,602 Posts
Take a photo of your current headlamp switch please.

Rob
And the fog lights on the front of the car. Are these OEM or aftermarket lights?

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
hi, i recently bought a 2014 cruze diesel and although it has fog lights there is no switch. If i buy the head light switch with the fog light button will the wiring harness be present for the fog lights?
hmm i thought the gen 1 ctd didnt get them and had the black block off covers sinc eit was part of the whole eco upgrades. Ive never seen one pull into the shop here that had them only gassers rs and ltz

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,783 Posts
hmm i thought the gen 1 ctd didnt get them and had the black block off covers sinc eit was part of the whole eco upgrades. Ive never seen one pull into the shop here that had them only gassers rs and ltz
They were optional - we have them on ours.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
They were optional - we have them on ours.
thats messed up GM. second gen 1 ctd no option just drl and thats it. i would have paid extra to have the drl and fogs

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
thats messed up GM. second gen 1 ctd no option just drl and thats it. i would have paid extra to have the drl and fogs
I believe for 2015, you had to have the RS package to get fogs, because of the fascia change. Therefore you couldn't get them on the Diesel.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
i believe for 2015, you had to have the rs package to get fogs, because of the fascia change. Therefore you couldn't get them on the diesel.
agreed, i would have given up the front eco shutters and eco grill for the rs pack all around. With under body panels, lrr tires, and the engine i would not miss the 1mpg hwy but gained a awesome looking diesel

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
Quite honestly, they could've easily developed the shutters for the RS grille as well. Even use the standard ones, with a surround that mounts it to the RS (and blocks off where it doesn't fill).

Reactions: pandrad61

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
quite honestly, they could've easily developed the shutters for the rs grille as well. Even use the standard ones, with a surround that mounts it to the rs (and blocks off where it doesn't fill).
there is that but bean counters would cry too much.. Figure just rs pack the whole car+ add under body panels+lrr tires and done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the help all. My wife is out in the cruze but the head light switch does not have the button in the middle. I can't find anything that make thr fog lights come on. Here is the best Ican do picture wise until she comed home.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,783 Posts
Those are not the lights that would have come on the Cruze Diesel from the factory - they would not have the chrome trim. Those were added on after, so that may explain the lack of the factory switch.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
The chrome trim is aftermarket.....odds are the lights are too, and I suspect the previous owner has a remote switch.....somewhere well hidden obviously.
You can unscrew the small panels under the facia to see if the lights are actually wired and if they are I'm sure the effort was put in to finish the job with a separate switch.

Underdash hunting trip is in the future.

Rob

Forgot to mention....even with the factory switch there is no button......the entire thumbswitch is the button.
Reason I asked for a photo was because there is a 'Fog' icon on the correct switch but folks don't know to press the entire thing down.

Rob

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
OE fog lamps are wired in parallel, two wires to both lamps, one goes to a ground terminal, the important one goes under that underhood fuse/relay, these can be traced, important one is the hot wire, where does it go? Could go back to the firewall and under the dash someplace to a switch.

GM is really downright dirty, was okay with the 2012 models, besides adding the lamps, the fog lamp switch is identical to the non-fog lamp switch, except instead of a contact block in there, added stop, so that center headlamp button cannot be pressed, also doesn't have that fog lamp icon, not that you can see it anyway, non-illuminated.

To make matter worse, in the 2013 models, basterds that is an appropriate word in this case, changed the firmware, so even though you installed the kit, still have to go to your dealer and shell out another hundred bucks to get it reprogrammed.

Just tells me GM doesn't give a dam about their customers, but trying to give their dealers a couple of extra bucks. And if any vehicle needed fog lamps, its this light, side lighting really sucks and almost ran over a pedestrian on a sharp city corner.

Fog lamps made all the difference in getting good side lighting. I got the OE kit, installed it myself and did it right, but checked mine first with a test lamp to make darn sure they are programed. Cost to this vehicle would have been less than 4 bucks to have them installed at the factory and should have been stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all. Not used to vehicles over here yet ( British) alot of makes have the harness ready and you just pick fit the correct switch, plug in a relay and pick up the harness under the newbumper. Never mind, Thought it was too easy, thank you everyone

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Nash and Honda tried dealer installed AC, that was a joke, just about as many parts left over as that came with the kit. Underhood had to be torn all apart including the radiator to mount the condenser, screwed up the cooling system in the process. Belt drive train, cooling fans, dash had to torn completely apart, new harness, etc. Then they didn't even know how to charge these.

Ha, can't even buy dealer installed floor mats that are installed correctly.

Fog lamp kit had two new bezels, old ones had to be pitched, crazy instructions on removing the entire front bumper, when all you needed is a right angled screwdriver. Harness was part of the kit, that had to be plugged into socket #32, by removing both PC boards from the underhood fuse relay box. Never saw so many interconnecting tiny pins in my life, really needed a lot of care when in.

That terminal to be plugged in to #32 was just crimped on bare copper wire, soldered it, and want to make sure you plug it in the correct socket or else you will never get it out. The fog lamp relay is soldered to the lower board, all the relays on the top of the board are plug in. Was happy I had to remove these boards, because they were never properly installed in the first place. Fuse for the fog lamps is on the top board.

Head lamp switch was easy, remove the front panel dash fuse cover, put your hand behind the old head lamp switch, pop it out, and plug the new one in. Was curious, replaced that blocker sleeve with a contact block on the new one.

What you really got is a two 22 AWG wires and two plastic fog lamps, surprising, the bulbs were already installed. Then this dirty trick with later models of changing the firmware so a DIY installation would not work. 350 bucks plus tax is what the dealer charges. Seen many of original headlamp switches on ebay, just tossed mine in the trashcan.

New question for dealers now, can I get my options factory installed? If yes, will look further, if no, walk out the door.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks once again everyone. It really is the only thing missing on the car in my view. Very impressed with all the bells and whistles. I prefer it to the Passat TDI I had back home.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts