Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Going to add fog lights or a light bar behind the grill. Going to pick up a replacement headlight switch with the fog light switch. Do the factory fog lights turn off when you turn on the high beams? Im hoping they do not, I'd like to keep the fog lights on all the time so this info will help me decide how I need to wire everything up.

thank you

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
That is correct. I believe in Europe, however, no such regulation exists.

I'm not sure if there is a way to do it in our cars, but my buddy was able to make some tweaks in his BCM to change the lighting to European coding (export mode), which allows him to run high beams and fog lights at the same time (I believe using a Tech II or similar). This was on a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee, so it's likely very different, but perhaps still possible somewhere.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was thinking of adding a light bar behind the grill and using a factory fog light switch for the on/off. If I did this I did not want the light bar to turn off by using the high beams. I drive a lot of back roads early morning and late night going to and from work. The light bar is nice to see deer trying to run out in front of me. I had one on my old car and it helped a lot. I can add a toggle somewhere but didn't want to drill a hole in the dash and this car doesn't seem to have a good location for any auxiliary switches. Or I may add a relay and use the high beams as a signal to close the relay and turn on the light bar. Only bad thing about that is I cant flash my high beams with out flashing the light bar also, unless I get a time delay relay.

My main focus is adding more light for driving at night. Looking for the best way to do it and not look funky.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I was thinking of adding a light bar behind the grill and using a factory fog light switch for the on/off. If I did this I did not want the light bar to turn off by using the high beams. I drive a lot of back roads early morning and late night going to and from work. The light bar is nice to see deer trying to run out in front of me. I had one on my old car and it helped a lot. I can add a toggle somewhere but didn't want to drill a hole in the dash and this car doesn't seem to have a good location for any auxiliary switches. Or I may add a relay and use the high beams as a signal to close the relay and turn on the light bar. Only bad thing about that is I cant flash my high beams with out flashing the light bar also, unless I get a time delay relay.

My main focus is adding more light for driving at night. Looking for the best way to do it and not look funky.
hid retrofit.

i have a two row light bar behind the grill, doesnt do enough....the phillips higher output halogen bulbs i had overpowered the light bar

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
You can just use a diode on high beam to fog circuit relay circuits.

gen5diy sells kits for like $10 or you can just shove a random diode in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would be more concerned that the fog switch may be a low current, momentary contact, soft switch, signaling the BCM vs. being able to turn on your light bar. May be more a programming adventure than a wiring adventure.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I would be more concerned that the fog switch may be a low current, momentary contact, soft switch, signaling the BCM vs. being able to turn on your light bar. May be more a programming adventure than a wiring adventure.
This. You could use the factory button to trigger a relay that turns it on, that'd work just fine. I considered doing that instead of shelling out $100 to make them work but in the end just said screw it lol. Also the button makes the light on the dash light up when the BCM is not programmed. After I installed my GM kit in my '17 the dash light came on but the lights themselves wouldn't until it got flashed.

If you have a second gen I'll send you the spare headlight switch that my kit came with - they all come with a black and brown switches. I have the brown one leftover and the wire that goes into it from the fuse box(Premier cars already have the wire so it's not needed). Just pay shipping

·
Premium Member
4,092 Posts
I am in Australia and the factory fog lights in my 2012 Cruze diesel stay on with either low or high beam. I saw a comment that they were useless on high beam and I beg to differ. On a 10 hour overnight interstate trip they were great at lighting up the sides of the road and picking out animal eyes.

·
Premium Member
4,092 Posts
I am in Australia and the factory fog lights in my 2012 Cruze diesel stay on with either low or high beam. I saw a comment that they were useless on high beam and I beg to differ. On a 10 hour overnight interstate trip they were great at lighting up the sides of the road and picking out animal eyes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts