Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The side windows on my 2015 Cruze are fogging. The upper side vents only adjust from straight ahead to inward. Does anyone know if the passenger side vent could be switched with the driver side vent? Then both would be adjustable from straight ahead to out towards the windows. Thanks

·
Registered
635 Posts
There's corner vents on the inside corners of your dash that blow air when defrost mode is on. That's the best answer I can think of, hope it helps

2011 Chevy Cruze LTZ 1.4L Turbo

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Run fan with fresh air. Running fan in recycle mode fogs my window up everytime

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I don't know what it is with my car. I have a big problem with foggy windows when there is a lot of moisture in the air (mainly in winter). Even with defrost kicking out dry air into the car my entire trip, within 5 minutes of shutting off the vehicle and getting out the windows are fogged up. If it is very cold overnight the moisture on the windows will completely freeze and it takes for ever to thaw this in the morning. Luckily there hasn't been too many days like this so it hasn't been a huge problem this winter. It was a very big problem last winter. I always made sure my WeatherTech liners weren't holding an excessive amount of water and the carpets under the liners weren't wet either.

One thing I notice is that when I shut the car off, the vent flaps change back to some default state. Could this be some sort of "open" state allowing the moist outside air to be flowing freely into the vehicle?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Even with defrost kicking out dry air into the car my entire trip, within 5 minutes of shutting off the vehicle and getting out the windows are fogged up.
That sounds like quite a build-up of moisture. Since you've checked the floor mats, perhaps you should check the trunk.

Reactions: LiveTrash

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
That sounds like quite a build-up of moisture. Since you've checked the floor mats, perhaps you should check the trunk.
I do put the snow brush back there when I'm done. I knock off a lot of snow but some still is on there when I put it in the trunk. I never even thought of that since the trunk appears to be completely closed off from the rest of the vehicle when the seats aren't folded down. I have my summer mats stored in there with a blanket. I'll take all that out and check for moisture.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
At the risk of rehashing what you already know:
  • When we speak of humidity, we talk about relative humidity - how much is in the air compared to how much it can hold.
  • The air's capacity to hold water changes significantly with temperature.
  • So the RH will go down when air is heated and go up when cooled - even with no water added/removed from the air.

So for the windows to start fogging shortly after you shut off the car suggests that water is getting added to the air inside the car. If it all came from the outside, it would be no worse than the outside once it cooled back to outside temperatures. (Note that your breath is a significant source of water.)

I mention the trunk because others have found water leaking in and collecting in the spare tire well. Others have found ice above the headliner (where the most air condenses and freezes). It's discovered when it thaws out.

There's also a possibility that while you're commanding fresh air, the flappers may not be doing that. But even with fresh air open, there has to be a place for the stale air to go - I'm not sure where the vent is, but I thought it was in the rear quarter-panels - right where the rear tires would throw slush. To test that, you could try cracking a rear window next time you drive. If it doesn't fog up, then maybe the exit is blocked off.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
This chart shows how much grams of water per cubic meter air can hold at 100% relative humidity.

View attachment 177889

At 104*F a cubit meter of air can hold, 51.1 grams of water, but only 4.89 grams of water at the freezing point of water.

So what happens to the moisture when the temperature cools down? It condenses to form water droplets, is invisible when in the form of moisture. This is what fogs up your windows. If warm moist air hits a cool or cold front, you get fog. Occurs at the so-called dewpoint the temperature where the moisture in the air condenses. Varies considerably dependent on the relative humidity of the warmer air.

Major culprits for forming humidity in a vehicle is us humans, every time we exhale, putting more moisture into the air, then all the moisture in our skin is evaporating as well. Ha, even worse is carrying four German Shepherds in your vehicle, they don't sweat like we do, but put tons of moisture into the air when they exhale. Ha, regardless of vehicle, when I was carrying this many dogs, only alternative was to crack open the rear windows, far enough to exhaust that humid air, but not far enough so one or two would decide to jump out.

Contrary to popular belief, moist air or on high humidity days, the air is actually lighter than dry air. Have to take this into consideration when landing or taking off in an aircraft, lift is greatly reduced, and you may run out of runway.

What I find to be totally ridiculous, and practically true on all vehicles, is switching on the AC compressor when you switch to defrost.

First off, there ain't that moisture in the air to begin with, second the differential pressure between the high and low side is so small, the evaporator doesn't get that much colder than the incoming ambient air. Thirdly, the compressor seals are rock hard, and the refrigerant oil is very stiff. So all you are doing is wearing out your seals causing refrigerant leaks and wearing out the mechanism of the compressor. But they can get more business from you by doing it this way.

For this reason, either disconnect the compressor clutch coil, or don't use defrost at all, just crack open the driver's window, that clears fog in a big worry. And my AC systems last very very long.

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
OP?

You haven't answered back but we are asking you to first be certain you are not operating the system in the 'Recirculate' mode.
Doing so will fog the glass and it will not clear.
If you are not operating in recirculate, we have had a few members finding that the recirculate door was not closing fully so it was recirculating even though outside air was commanded.

Get back to us.

Rob

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi all, Thanks for the help, I do run the system with outside air (not recirculate) and sometimes the sunroof open. The question is more can the vents be switched so the direction of the air is aimed at the windows. This will help condensation and put the air more to where I want it. Not on me. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
5,534 Posts
Hi all, Thanks for the help, I do run the system with outside air (not recirculate) and sometimes the sunroof open. The question is more can the vents be switched so the direction of the air is aimed at the windows. This will help condensation and put the air more to where I want it. Not on me. Thanks again
The vent direction adjustments are, at best, less than optimal.....I agree......and it hascome up from time to time.

I'll speak for the forum.....there has never (yet) been any successful modification for the dash vent aiming.......usually the question comes up more in the summer while posters are trying to get that 'just right' position for the a/c airflow.

But I should add, the fogging, or those that experienced it, seemed to be related to the recirc. door having a problem.

Some also admitted to water saturated floor mats and, of course, that'll fog em up real nice after you exit the car.

Keep fiddling around...you'll find a spot that gets you close.

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts