Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off...I have read and saw the two threads on here about how to install foglights. However, I still have some questions that arise bec of confusion. Im going to probably install them sometime next week. Probably on thanksgiving since its my only day off. (Don't worry, I am spending time with my family also). But the first question I had is, without taking the bumper off, how should I route the wires up through the bumper/fender? Next question is when you finally have your harness routed, how and where exactly do you plug the wires in at on the fuse panel? I seen a spot in one thread but it still confuses me. Im sorry for being a pain in the ass guys. I just want to do some good hard research before the time comes to do it so im not scratching my head and asking these qs later when I have my answers and can just get rite to work. Thanks

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
We call it busting your knuckles around here . So dig right into those fog lights and get your teeth wet . When you get those wires routed to the required positions , those answers will present themselves to you . You should be recieving some diagrams with your purchase to help you along . Second NickD would be whom you would want to PM when you get flustered .

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh it comes with the picture diagrams? I didn't know that lol. Im glad I do now. That should help me a ton. If not ill for sure message NickD. Thanks again Brian. Your a lifesaver man.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
It is SO much easier to take the bumper off. Only thing I leave my bumper on for is changing my bulbs. It sounds like more hassle to take the bumper off but it isn't. My kit didn't come with any diagrams but it is way to clear where everything goes. Don't overthink it, that is what I did. Definitely not as complicated as it sounds.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay. It just seems more complicated bec when a member did a thread on them but they didn't include more info about how to take the bumper off and where the mounting hardware is.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
If you look under the car, hood, and in the tire well in front of both tires, it's clear what needs to come off in order to take the bumper off. You will need a special screw tip to get the job done though. If you have that it'll be easy.

Reactions: brian v

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
Would that be a torques bit ? ( Torx )

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
As I recall, four phillip head screws on each side, or was it three? LOL. Ones at the end were buried, used a right angled drive electric screw driver with a six inch extension and a magnetic bit, took seconds.

Mounting the new fogs was the first step, then routing the harness, didn't use those foot long jobs that came with the kit, had some black six inches and followed the headlamp wiring harness, and used a lot more than was given. Was a ground screw someplace on the left fender and made sure the hot lead extended about 4 inches on top of that fuse relay panel. Used a jumper lead to the positive terminal of the battery to make sure both lamps would fire. Okay, used an ammeter, current draw should be about six amperes. Told me no shorts or opens.

This just left connecting that hot lead with a very special small female terminal on it to be plugged into that #31 socket. This is a one shot deal, blank spaces around the correct terminal with a male spade on it. If you miss that hole, will be dead meat. They could have put a pigtail on this for an easy connection, but didn't. That panel has got to be removed.

Sure has a bunch of connectors plugged into the bottom of it using mostly very fragile wire. First remove the negative battery lead and put that in a glove or something, it wants to go back to its terminal. Was a positive lead that also had to be removed so you could lift the panel.

So connectors are suppose to be snapped in the housing, when I carefully pried mine off, they came up with the panel. Had to very carefully pry those off, not very much clearance and you don't want to break any of those wires off. Like hundreds of those. After that, I could firmly snap those connectors back into their sockets. Except the one where that wire plugs into the bottom of that one connector. Think it was the one in the front right side in relationship to the vehicle.

To make darn sure it was the right one, removed the fog lamp fuse, think the terminal to the rear of that fuse had to make continuity to the mating pin under the panel, and lined that up to the mating female connect. Recall mine had flashing in that connector, had to clean that off with a #2 blade. Inserted that hot wire than I could snap that connector housing back in.

Never seen so many male pins in my 50 year history on a PCB. they all had to be perfectly aligned before putting pressure on that board. If one bends sideways and breaks off, would be dead meat. Don't believe this is a job for the timid.

Head lamp switch was the last thing, two second job, remove the fuse panel slip your left hand behind the headlamp switch and snap it out, remove the connector, ample leads on it and plug that into the new switch and snap it back on. With the battery, good time to clean the terminals and add silicone grease to all the terminals that should have been done at the factory. The black negative battery is always the first lead to be removed and the last to be installed. And it has to be installed fast with all these microcontrollers so you get a good power on reset or will end up with a mess.

Already pretested the fog lamps read something about it may have to be reprogrammed using a test lamp at the panel fuse and jumper leads on the old head lamp switch, that is when I learned the contact block was missing from this switch. And also learned they only work with the engine running.

Only thing not working, my smart phone had to be repaired, and the tire monitoring system was blank, but started working again after a couple of miles of driving.

Wife asked why was I doing this, she learned quick, because this Cruze is one of the poorest side lighted vehicles I had ever owned. Should be a law that that come installed from the factory for a honest twenty bucks more. She can finally see kids on our sidewalk less roads when making a sharp turn.

Whoever decided to program out the fog lamps, would love to meet this guy in a dark alley someplace. Or better yet, a mufti-million law suit if someone kills a kid due to extremely poor side lighting.

With further though the way we use ours, should have just purchased the much cheaper fog lamps and tapped them into the low head lamps circuit. Ours are always on when we drive our Cruze at night.

Ha, no need to PM issues like this, is for all of us to share.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
When did Cruze elect to spend the extra money to reprogram the fog lamps so you can't install your own fogs without paying a dealer an extra hundred bucks to have it reprogrammed the way it should have been done in the first place?

I think this dirty rotten trick started with the 2013 models, but did run in some guys with the 2012 models.

They know you can pick up an OE kit off of ebay for around 170 bucks or if lucky like me, for 130 bucks. But if 170 bucks adding another 100 bucks for a two minute job to reprogram it brings the cost to 270 bucks. And if you can deal with your dealer when buying the vehicle, can get him to install the fogs as part of a new vehicle purchase for that same price.

Plus save yourself all that extra work.

My dealer was not in the same negotiating mood for the fogs after my purchase, best he would do was ten bucks off the retail dealer installed price. So being stubborn tested my Cruze out myself to make darn sure it was programmed. It was, so shopped around.

If I really have done my homework, would have realized this Cruze is a danger without fogs and would have negotiated up front. Ha, already told him he was competing against seven other Chevy dealers and showed him the quotes. He beat the lowest price by another hundred bucks.

Guess this is why they call them dealers, they love to deal. And if they say they are only making 50 bucks over the invoice price, can't believe they can say this with a straight face. If this were true, would need a check out girl selling a new car every 15 seconds just to keep their doors off. Try more like a 40% mark up on the vehicle and around 75% on accessories.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts