Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at retrofitting my headlights with projectors... Question I have is I've read heat gun and frustration and ultimately leading to just cutting the headlights open... Where is everyone cutting and what tool are they using?

thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
5,421 Posts
Did you bake the headlight in the oven? Unless the Cruze headlights are special, this has always been the way I've known to pull the headlights apart (did that to paint the housings in my Cobalt).

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you bake the headlight in the oven? Unless the Cruze headlights are special, this has always been the way I've known to pull the headlights apart (did that to paint the housings in my Cobalt).
From what Ive read on here, members that have tried baking ended up cutting the housings. Said it was a battle to open them up by just using the oven/heat gun method. So I went on to google university and found people saying just to cut the permaseal headlights open.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
It doesn't make it easy, it just loosens up the sealant so you can carefully pry them apart. It definitely took some effort on the Cobalt, even after baking, but they did come apart.

Maybe it's just a tougher sealant. I'd silicone them once you're done anyway.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I got into the headlight. I honestly think a guy would ruin the headlight trying to bake them apart. I did a combo of soldering iron, baking and using a home made tool. I'll post detailed pictures over the weekend when I do the drivers side headlight. It actually came apart half decent. I'd say I have 1.5 hr into opening one. But I cleaned them up quite a bit during the process. 3 sessions in the oven at 255 for 7 minutes.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
theres been several threads aboot the cruze housings

general consensus is just buy aftermarket housings and bake those ones

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
theres been several threads aboot the cruze housings

general consensus is just buy aftermarket housings and bake those ones
Everyone says theres lots of threads.... which there is with no real info. The aftermarket housings suck, the lenses dont handle our Canadian winters...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Which aftermarkets?

Depo and TYC are pretty high quality.

Eagle Eye and others not so much.
Not sure of the brands but the plastic lenses get brittle in cold weather with rock chips. Maybe they have changed.

·
Premium Member
5,421 Posts
Cheaper aftermarket headlights usually will have lenses that pit or yellow over time, so that sounds like it could be one of the cheaper "brands".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts