Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

For the first time in 5 years

Tags
time years
4K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  zen_ 
#1 ·
Hey guys, i was driving my holden cruze diesel 2010 just about 15 mins ago. its 32 degrees out there and all of a sudden there was this loud bang from somewhere in left hand side. But yer after that the exhaust sound was loud and the engine power reduced. im not sure what went wrong there but yer after a while, i got this yellow vehicle inside there was that allen tool i think. and gave me code 84.

My question is what might have gone wrong there? rear exhaust sounded the same, engine sound is perfectly fine. the noise is coming underneath somewhere. Can this be the exhaust came out from the engine or something? i dont wanna go to holden koz they will definitely overcharge me. I can tell with experience.

One thing i definitely learnt, I will never buy a holden again. im normally a bmw type guy. never had anything like that in any of my bmws before. Help will be much appreciated

#4 ·
84 is a generic "Engine Power is Reduced". Get your car to a mechanic who knows diesels and have them look under your car. You blew something out.

#8 ·
dad's mechanic is saying that there is a high chance that the exhaust is loose from the engine end. the engine lost power koz there is not enough compression for the turbo to push the engine. he is only assuming, he will jack it up tomorrow and see whats going on.

now guys another question. is it possible that the turbo is too weak or too powerful for this engine? im a smooth driver, so this is the first time a car has issue while im driving. we never played around with the turbo too much as me and dad is obssessed about cars. now this is new so yer we take very good care of it

#9 ·
I have nothing man . Wait and see in the morning .

#12 ·
You do realise that you are writing to the peoples of The United States of America Right ?

Holden does not ship here !

Hey Aussie this guý is Funny ...

#13 ·
Have you been servicing the car regularly?

And been having it done by someone who has fronted up the Oxford Scholars to get the information from Holden that is needed to be able to service the diesel properly? They aren't the same as the old diesels that most macs are used to working on, there are quite a few subtle surprises.

If you are in Melbourne I can recommend a couple of dealerships that aren't too bad, there are a couple of other Aussies around that could point you at decent places in Sydney, FNQ ,and Perth.

#15 ·
Been years since I have worked on diesels in farm tractors and semi's, all mechanical pumps back then 1,500 psi. Today, electronic control, firmware in flashram, piezoelectric electronically controlled injectors. Just saying, a bit more complicated.

Would be nice to have free access to firmware, can, if you want to layout a huge fortune, but not right in my opinion. With any computer problem, address software issues first to learn if you have a hardware problem. No longer a vehicle anymore, but a computer.

So forced to get into bed with your dealer, wouldn't be bad if she was a good looking gal, but not with that hairy guy, no way. EPA in the USA insist this must be done by a skilled dealer, guy I met don't even know how to switch a computer on let alone use it, and charge 90 bucks an hour trying to find the correct software. But the EPA should only be concerned with emission, and what in the hail does this have to do with the BCM and the radio? Can't even get access to this firmware, we are sure getting screwed, and screwed blue, why are we being quiet on this issue, we are the idiots for putting up with it.

One solution is to leave the darn things in the showroom where they were designed originally for.

Semi's and farm tractors have one extremely huge advantage over our consumer crap, the exhaust systems go straight up into the air and rarely if ever go bad. On our consumer junk we buy, put all this super way overpriced crap under the vehicle where its exposed to all kinds of road salt and debris.

You begin to realize this if you know how to think. Thinking is not good for us, just accept it the way it is and pay through the nose.

#20 · (Edited)
oh yer just got back from the mechanic, hahaha what a funny and wierd guy, he was saying "your turbo needs replacing as it wouldnt send any pressure to the engine. as i am very fussy about my cars i always stand by the mechanic and see what he is doing koz i dont trust em. yer i had a look after he said all that and i started the car, engine sounds good as new and push the gas and heard the turbo whistling with no issues. i called my friend and told him about everything that guy said and he laughed at me. he asked me to check the turbo intake, when i checked Bam! problem found. turbo intake pipe popped off. and i called the mechanic from his "office" and pointed the problem. hahahahah bloke turned tomato red!

anyways i asked him to pop it in with a new seal (with the screw) and went for a test drive, WOW car's performance is so much better than it was before. paid him his $45 labour and got outta of there and thinking to myself WOW you are really a professional mechanic that cant even spot a simple problem.

#21 ·
guys guys guys what do you guys reckon, if i install an aftermarket head unit with the screen, will i be able to see the car options in it? i meant will i be able to change the car setting like the old head unit does? or should i keep the old black and blue screen as well?

#30 ·
That's Nice !

#31 ·
In terms of pure transportation and the economics of it and in my weird way of thinking. Can purchased three Cruze's for the price of one Cadillac. Or four Ford Escape's for the price of just one Toyota Land Cruiser.

Use any comparison with far more expensive vehicles compared to the much cheaper ones you like. In this neck of my woods, whatever you buy or pay for, will still be a pile of rust in well less than ten years. With the more expensive ones, attract thieves a lot more or somebody with a key that is a bit envious. Also pay through the nose for insurance.

Just saying, consider all the factors.

Ha, in many cases, was much happier with my 04 Cavalier, hand roll up windows and a cable operated MVAC system that always worked, and in my long history of vehicle ownership, the more crap you have, the more problems. In our society, you gotta have these things, can't survive without them. IRS doesn't realize this for work or school, all after tax dollars to buy these things. And with outthese things, can't do anything.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.