Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for those of you stating there is no fix for the 4th gear rattle, or the clunking between shifts.. and mentioning no fix, and possibly changing fluid to help?

cruze 4th gear rattle - YouTube

^turn up the volume you can hear it quite well at the beginning... our transmission also clunked between gears and just sounded bad in general.

well the car went in Monday to a local dealership (Steve Scheres, Kitchener Ontario) which had a tsb done - pip5050a, we received the car back today, no more rattle in 4th gear, no more clunks between gear shifts, or any unusual sounds.. the transmission shifts smooth, and is just as silent as my subaru now.

Just wanting to let others know, the rattle/clunking is not normal, and can be fixed, apparently the tech mentioned to us he received a box full of parts he had to replace.

work order states

Updated shift shaft, tac case ##########, remove trans trans shift control housing etc. so it was apparently a big job

·
Registered
475 Posts
oh really i went to Steve Scheres, Kitchener Ontario a few month ago clunky 2nd to 3rd and said its fine ill go again and talk to him is all your shift smooth now my 1st to 2nd clunk sometimes .

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
I'm sure they have access to a service bulletin,.would you get it for us?

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1st and 2nd have always been notchy, I figured that was a characteristic of this transmission

I for one never power shift or drive the car hard, its more my wifes car.... we just use it for the longer commutes...

the reason they did the repair was because of the rattling 4th gear

·
Registered
475 Posts
But is your notchy shifting still their tho

·
Premium Member
398 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
its slightly notchy.... but I assumed this was normal, my srt4 was super notchy.... so I'm use to it, my better half drives more and never complains about it being notchy... so I think its fine, as said... we don't drive it like a race car either.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Oh mine is notchy when cold When warm up its much better but in summer time it shift Almost perfect

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
475 Posts
Same with mine. The notchiness from the 3 cars I drove is normal. They were all the same.

oh ok it just seem not normal u know i never drove a car that is like that

·
Premium Member
398 Posts
Oh mine is notchy when cold When warm up its much better but in summer time it shift Almost perfect
Wow, I dunno what to say. Shocking to hear these issues.
Mine is smooth, winter or summer.
Only complaint is inability to go-fast on the 1-2 shift, well that and the way too high geared reverse.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Only complaint is inability to go-fast on the 1-2 shift, well that and the way too high geared reverse.
Is your a Eco? because I notice that the Eco shiftes better then the none Eco 6 speed idk why tho

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Why can't you 1-2 quickly? Grinding?

·
Registered
475 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
See mine never grind 1-2 if I go fast I notice to only Eco 6 MT grind when you shift fast
No, my 1LT has recently picked up this habbit also. I can't bang 1-2 anymore, going to replace the fluid in a bit and see if that helps.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Anything over 3500? That's absolute BS. They owe you a tranny.

My car has started grinding over 5500 now, clutch fully depressed. I've already tested clutch disengagement and it's working perfectly, so it's the synchro itself.

I'm going to change the fluid later today and we'll see what happens. I'm having far too many issues for a 16K mile car.

Oil leak
Coolant smell
No high beams
1-2 grind
4th vibration

Yeah, i'm not starting to regret this purchase....

·
Registered
475 Posts
No, my 1LT has recently picked up this habbit also. I can't bang 1-2 anymore, going to replace the fluid in a bit and see if that helps.
Oh really mine never grind if I shift fast or shift high revs

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,353 Posts
Anything over 3500? That's absolute BS. They owe you a tranny.

My car has started grinding over 5500 now, clutch fully depressed. I've already tested clutch disengagement and it's working perfectly, so it's the synchro itself.

I'm going to change the fluid later today and we'll see what happens. I'm having far too many issues for a 16K mile car.

Oil leak
Coolant smell
No high beams
1-2 grind
4th vibration

Yeah, i'm not starting to regret this purchase....
You and me both. I meant to say around 4500 but hit the wrong key on the phone. I rarely go over 5000.

I think I'd rather attempt a fluid change rather than have my car all taken apart for days without it sitting at the dealer again. If it keeps it up, maybe I'll take it in this summer.

I don't actually think mine rattles in 4th though. Hmm.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts