Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed the other day while draining my oil I had to pull the oil dipstick out for the oil to flow smoothly. I also noticed the dipstick and oil fill plug have o-rings on them to seal air and oil. Why would they do this?? Down the road with many miles on the car not you only have to worry about an oil leak but now you have to worry about an air leak from the valve cover gasket? :dazed002: Also where is my trans dipstick?? I see the fill port but no measuring device???

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
New Design Techniques Dawg ,,,,,,,

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
It's far easier to build an engine to meet current fuel economy and emissions standards if you prevent air from entering from unexpected locations.

·
Premium Member
1,673 Posts
I just noticed the other day while draining my oil I had to pull the oil dipstick out for the oil to flow smoothly. I also noticed the dipstick and oil fill plug have o-rings on them to seal air and oil. Why would they do this?? Down the road with many miles on the car not you only have to worry about an oil leak but now you have to worry about an air leak from the valve cover gasket? :dazed002: Also where is my trans dipstick?? I see the fill port but no measuring device???
The engine is not air tight, but it is sealed well, which you want to help prevent leaks. Also by making it as close to air tight as they can, if you do develop a leak, it is less likely to be catastrophic.

No Dipstick on the trans, those are actually rather are these days

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
No engine allows any blow-by gasses to be admitted to the atmosphere......so, for the most part they are essentially air tight.
The only positive crankcase pressure that develops is directed into the air intake to be burned.....this only occurs (on a healthy engine) during periods of wide open throttle when vacuum is too low to operate the pcv system.

Not just G.M......All manufacturers.

Rob

·
Registered
100 Posts
I believe the gearbox is a semi-automatic. Like a manual gearbox with a little man shifting the gears for you, not a fully oil filled "slushie".
This is, I did read somewhere an advancement. Certainly with my new car SRi-V turbo 6 speed sport auto it has a manual shift mode which at a first go seems very smooth, foot down and it is very close to a little race driver doing it for you.

Very impressive. and Wife auto mode as well.
In love all over again!

Minsik

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Mid-size car Chevrolet cruze

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sorry guys, I was thinking the old days when valve covers had breathers. I actually thought the the engine was internally sealed tight and was connected to the vacuum system. I want to change my trans fluid after winter time but doing the flush method at home. Sucks that I cannot measure the fluid afterwards. Alot of cars do not have a trans stick these days but the fill cap has a measuring device on some of them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts